It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Third J-20 prototype gets upgrades and prepares for flight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The third J-20 prototype has completed high speed taxi tests, including raising the nose before deploying the drag chute, and is closing in on the first flight. The third aircraft has some interesting modifications to it. Observers report that it has a new intake design, as well as shorter exhaust outlets, and basic sensor fusion technologies.

The interesting change is in the nose. The basic design has changed, and it appears to have an IRST/EOTS system installed in the new design. This is almost critical for detecting stealthy aircraft. The current nose appears similar to the F-35 nose.

In the last few days, the extremely active Chinese aircraft enthusiasts have documented the ground activity of the third prototype of the J-20 “Mighty Dragon” stealth fighter jet.

The new pictures show the J-20 coded “2011″ performing taxi tests at Chengdu airfield. Following a high-speed taxi, the aircraft raised the nose and then deployed the drag chute to reduce speed: the usual steps that precede the first take off.

What is really interesting about the new plane is that it seems to embed a series of improvements. According to several reports it has a new air intake design, shorter engine nozzles and a (basic?) sensor fusion technology.

theaviationist.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I know people keep saying the Chinese fighters are pieces of crap and its just a poor copy.

But as we can see its still in development.

So be interesting what the final product will actually be like.

Ok I doubt it will be 1:1 with a F-22 or F-35 but Im guessing it has the potential to get close?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

It'll fall somewhere around the F-117 in terms of stealth most likely. It's not going to be as good as an F-22, but it'll certainly be better than a conventional legacy aircraft. Just the shaping will give it a good RCS.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Zaphod58

It'll fall somewhere around the F-117 in terms of stealth most likely. It's not going to be as good as an F-22, but it'll certainly be better than a conventional legacy aircraft. Just the shaping will give it a good RCS.

Got to be worrying though for the fighter pilots that may have to face them. Even with basic stealth armed with K-77M style missiles it could be a killer, especially if China can build 2 J-20 for every F-22 or F-35.

And im guessing the fleets of legacy Aircrafts are going to end up next to obsolete soon.
edit on 21-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

That's one of the reasons that the F-35 is almost vital. Any new stealth design would take so long to develop that the already damaged legacy fleet would be so outdated that it would be in danger of falling out of the skies.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Na I can see you point. It be would stupid to ditch the F-35 now.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

crazyewok

I know people keep saying the Chinese fighters are pieces of crap and its just a poor copy.

But as we can see its still in development.

So be interesting what the final product will actually be like.

Ok I doubt it will be 1:1 with a F-22 or F-35 but Im guessing it has the potential to get close?

The thing is, the reason why we have the best stuff tech wise is not because we are smarter necessarily, but the fact that we have the money to research and develop and hire the best minds. (we kidnapped/hired Germans for tech) Being that China is stepping up economic wise gives them an edge that we have always had in ways. I am all for China or any country for that matter making new and cool stuff as long as they play nice.

As history and current trends show, it is the US who should be feared the most with tech. and its abuse. As I see it, let other countries build stuff and have some pride too. If they get really out of line there is always that red button to push.
Firepiston
edit on 21-2-2014 by FirePiston because: Pressed enter to make 2 paragraphs

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FirePiston

As long as theres a balance of power. I say Kudos to china or Russia.

But NATO needs to keep up too.

I dont trust China or Russia and I dont trust the USA and even my own Country!
edit on 21-2-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

It's way too late to ditch the F-35 now. Over 100 airframes are already off the line. It's been the picture of how not to run a program; I would have cancelled it a long time ago. But it's way too late for that now.

A little more on topic, other than the bay and gear doors and the canopy, I can't see much change in AV3. Still think they would have been better off piggy-backing on the PAKFA, but it will be a decent strike aircraft or interceptor if they go that way. I think this is more of a "anything you can do, we can do" statement.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FirePiston

Yes because China plays nice and is not claiming it's neighbors territories left and right. Can you show me in the last 50 years America claiming by force territory from our neighbors?

Closer on topic, it will be interesting to see how it performs, the outside matters, but as my momma told me it's whats on the inside that's the most important.
edit on 21-2-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I must admit, the J-20 is one awesome looking jet.

new topics

top topics

join