It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horn Settlement - Bank of America mortgage interest errors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I am posting this as more of a public notice. It would apply to anyone with Bank of America negative amortization mortgage. It may also apply to other mortgage servicers as well.

The deal is that mortgage interest is deductible for tax purposes. These pick a pay or negative amortization mortgages allowed borrowers to pay less than the amount due and that balance was then tacked onto the principal balance. This amount tacked onto the balance is considered deferred interest but Bank of America did not report it that way. Thus anyone with these mortgages were not given proper credit for mortgage interest paid and resulted in them paying higher taxes than they should have. .

Well someone sued and won and now Bank of America has to reissue all the mortgage interest paid statements from 2010-2012. I am party to this and thus far have received restated tax forms for 2010 and 2011. Between the two I will be able to refile and eliminate almost $18,000 in income. 2012 should be another $6-7,000. This will mean i will get a sizable refund. Bank of America has also agreed to pay $300 for 2009, for which tax returns can no longer be amended and will also pay $150 each for 2010,2011 and 2012 to cover the cost of refiling taxes.

More Info

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
How is this part of the horn deal? I thought that was a program to refinance underwater mortgages.

Never mind! I was thinking h.a.r.p..
Your talking about Horne with an e, the lawsuit.
edit on 21-2-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I am glad to hear that this got squared away. It is about time that the corrected
numbers are provided to the benefit of the mortgage holding taxpayer such as yourself.
Nice to hear some good news for a change.

Very informative thread. S&F

join