It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politicians never keep their word!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The headline reads:

Boehner: Suicide over minimum wage hike

Now you might stop and think he was talking about THIS one and the current hike Obama is talking about with such controversy. We could be called...premature..to say he isn't a man of his word at this stage. Except, he wasn't talking about this one when he voiced the sentiment.

Boehner made the comments about suicide in an April 1996 interview with The Weekly Standard.

“I’ll commit suicide before I vote on a clean minimum-wage bill,” Boehner, then the head of the House Republican Conference, said at the time.

Four months later, President Clinton over Boehner’s objections signed a minimum wage hike into law that lifted the wage by 90 cents, from $4.25 per hour to $5.15.
Source: The Hill

Well, 2014 - 1996..makes for how many years since those words of promise?

Say what you mean and mean what you say. Is it really so much to ask?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The problem politicians are currently facing is they expect the public to have no long-term memory. And in the past, that used to be true. A few decades ago, Obarry would've easily been able to slide under the radar with his flip-flopping on "I'll never come after your guns," "You can keep your doctor/plan," "There's no domestic spying program," and all his other whoppers.

The big lie used to work, because the people didn't have any easy and accessible means of documenting the truth. Thankfully, because of the interwebz, now the diligent among us can now easily record and catch every single lie. We can call these aholes out on every single slipup they make. And we are. And we will.

This is the beginning of the age of accountability for our so-called "leaders." We the people will no longer tolerate the BS, and as more and more of us wake up every day, we'll swiftly see an end to this centuries-old practice of governing through duplicity.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Someone beat you to it at 10:39 Wrabbit .

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Exclamation mark and everything.

You're surprised...how?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It's a well known thing...you get what you want by lying your ass off. Give them what they want to hear.

Nobody likes the truth. So much so...few dare even ponder it. A lie is a much better commodity.

Those that speak the truth...are not considered for any real power position.

....but thank you rabbit for reminding us

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Say what you mean and mean what you say. Is it really so much to ask?

well...I've been wondering about that...maybe we as lowly internet surfers have that luxury to be just and full of integrity...once you get up that hill...everything changes...you change. People are sheep indeed...and you have to lie to some of them...to get things done...your way. The only questions is...is your way the right way ?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

I guess I'm just one of those people...and I make no apologies for it. I see integrity as being how one defines their own self and general worth as a human being and person. Character being defined, largely by the level of integrity, if one even has any. It's odd to say that last part, as it's hard to imagine someone with none and no concern for that missing part of their humanity.

It's getting to be something I've come to accept in the majority of our politicians though, among other lines of work seemingly known for it. Then again, most of our national level politicians share a common career as a former line of work. A majority of them were or are card carrying attorneys. That explains much, doesn't it? I don't recall off hand what Boehners problem in life is, if he needs more than simply spending far too much of his life running ours from elected office.

He's as worthless as the rest though, and I couldn't pass this story up as one too good for an example of how they probably wish they said less, occasionally. A lot less, sometimes.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Battleline

Someone beat you to it at 10:39 Wrabbit .

Double threads are allowed as long as it leans right wing.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
The headline reads:

Boehner: Suicide over minimum wage hike

I am confused why anyone thinks that Boehner ever had integrity?

He literally handed out payola checks on the floor of the house just prior to a vote....and admitted it.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Perhaps you can be the person that will supply a link? I actually did look down headlines quickly, and just a few moments ago, after seeing the note now posted here about someone else having got it. I'll be happy to have my own thread closed by another mod, and have before. It's hardly like anyone is married to the future of a single thread. I do need to see what the other one was though, prior to pursuing closure on this one. Simply saying another thread among the hundreds posted every day exists...isn't quite enough.

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Please don't use my post as a spring board for your liberal style hate mongering.

You have something to say, post it to the OP.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Indigo5

Perhaps you can be the person that will supply a link?

Simply saying another thread among the hundreds posted every day exists...isn't quite enough.

Thanks!

Sorting the Pol Madness threads by newest....Yours and Neos are #1 and #2
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Battleline
reply to post by Indigo5

Please don't use my post as a spring board for your liberal style hate mongering.

You have something to say, post it to the OP.

Thanks for affirming my post. Good day guys...maybe someone can start a third right-wing back slapping thread on the same topic?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I affirmed nothing, I said nothing pro or con about this thread, I just posted an observation and YOU stepped up and used my post for your hatred.

The hate you spew has got you so mad you have no idea what your posting, how the hell would you know that I might not have agreed with you ?

"good day" hell good riddens.
edit on 21-2-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Yip, Time we took them to court....is there a court for lies...Hmmmmmm
edit on 21-2-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Battleline
reply to post by Indigo5

I affirmed nothing, I said nothing pro or con about this thread, I just posted an observation and YOU stepped up and used my post for your hatred.

The hate you spew has got you so mad you have no idea what your posting, how the hell would you know that I might not have agreed with you ?

"good day" hell good riddens.
edit on 21-2-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

Sure you did...You affirmed that the banner of the modern right wing is hate and vitriol...And did so again with this post

Just like the fact this thread still exists, despite being side by side (#1 and #2 on new threads) on the Pol Madness board with an identical thread, affirms the fact that T&C here is flexible for people of your political leaning.

So my advice is..please continue with the personal attacks...cuz it's OK with T&C as long as your vitriol includes the word "Liberal"!

Why does ATS appear more and more like a dank, dark, retreat than the open debate forum it used to be?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Indigo5
Sorting the Pol Madness threads by newest....Yours and Neos are #1 and #2
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Well... damn... So it is. Right there and plain as day, just as you noted.

Thank you for the direct reply and link to see the issue. I'll go see about getting this handled as it needs to be.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Consider it done.

The previous thread

closing

new topics

top topics

join