It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boehner: Suicide over minimum wage hike

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Social programs are ruining us, $90 trillion in unfunded liabilities. Ease the taxes (we have the highest corporate taxes in the world), ease the regulations, reduce the power of the EPA, unleash our energy potential, and millions upon millions of jobs will be created, and people won't have to rely on the State for income. Dem-Comms hate this though, because if people can fend for themselves, then what do they need a massive tyrannical government for? They don't.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

You do realize where those tax dollars come from? Corporations pay practically no taxes as it is so you can't cut much there

Intentionally IGNORE this :

www.huffingtonpost.com...

money.cnn.com...

Small business owners do pay taxes.

Give the people a tax break and that short fall in revenue will mean deep cuts in social programs.

People ALREADY DO.

They tax all those things right now....and you are still running over trillion dollar defecits. Are you suggesting they should raise taxes on those items? Why not jack taxes on luxury yachts and Lamborghinis...tax the life out of luxury items I say.

I am running deficits ?

News to me since I pay my bills instead of expecting the US government to pay for them.

Yes....as in a raise in the minimum wage. If people have more money, they will spend more money.

Tell that to the 500k who are going to get canned.

Because of minimum wage increases.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I am confused why anyone thinks that GOP Leader Boehner ever had integrity?

He literally handed out payola checks on the floor of the house just prior to a vote....and admitted it.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

So ?

There are over 100+ million Americans who get 'handed' their monthly government checks.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

OMsk3ptic
Social programs are ruining us, $90 trillion in unfunded liabilities.

Excellent point.

Which is precisely why we need to raise the minimum wage.

More income = less money spent in Social programs.

Thank Goodness someone gets it.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If a 100 million Americans get a cheque from the government each month doesn't that tell you they aren't getting paid enough ?
If one third of your populace can't live on what they earn without help that must set alarm bells ringing in even your head.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

JustXeno
reply to post by neo96

If a 100 million Americans get a cheque from the government each month doesn't that tell you they aren't getting paid enough ?
If one third of your populace can't live on what they earn without help that must set alarm bells ringing in even your head.

And ?

It is called living within their means, and not expecting other people to pay for their existence in this world.

Americans think they are poor ?

They don't even know what the hell poor is. Other places like Africa know.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I get the whole minimum wage argument but if you raise this, prices for everything also increase so that businesses can offset the increase in pay. Remember - whatever a person is making in an hourly wage - take 25/30%!of that and add it onto the employers expense - that they have to give to the government for every hour you work. Then add on another 10-20% for various insurances. This happens - businesses will find a way to even it out - and the most likely is to lay people off and raise prices on their products and services. Their focus should be on inflation. Or - that 25-30% they add on for their own coffers - for very hour the person works - how about they cut that down to 10%. There is the increase for the employee - with no extra stress to the employer.

(post by JustXeno removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I just attempted to do a little research on the amount of people working and the ammount of those working making minimum wage.

Seriously, has anyone ever tried to do this? It is impossible, every single study and site has different statistics. I know that employment rates fluctuate, but come on seriously!!!

These numbers are so skewed it's rediculous. It is impossible to get any straight facts on this.

I respect your views as always Neo, but geez, there is really no way to debate and back up any claims because we can both cherry pick what we want.

It is completely and utterly useless.

I am a Union Sheetmetal worker. Winter time brings slower work and I get layed off from time to time. I make the visits to the unemployment offices. They are completely swamped. I personally do not believe any statistic that is published by any political party. It is getting worse.

Not trying to get off topic but the whole minimum wage and jobless debate is BS.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I didn't have any problems:

An estimated 3.6 million people were paid hourly rates at or below the federal minimum in 2012, down from 3.8 million a year earlier.

Just under 60% of all U.S. workers are paid hourly, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. An estimated 4.7% of those hourly workers make minimum wage or less, down from 5.2%, a year earlier. That share is the lowest since 2008.

money.cnn.com...

Funny that the minimum wage 'crisis' is only because of the failed domestic issues.

checkout the date of that article.

Almost a year ago.

Aww I do so love the manufactured current 'crisis'.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Neo, you seem to "get it". Most don't.

This isn't about the poor and downtrodden. This is about the payoff. The only "benefit" here is that all the money printed/pumped into the system has ended up locked up in the upper echelons. This is a way to get it flowing through again. The loser here is the middle class, as our wages will stay the same while inflation works its magic. Typical, though. The middle class has been taking it in the keister for decades.

i guess another possible benefit is tht those "dollars" we borrowed from China can now be repaid at a lower value.

This has nothing to do with The People. It is just the two party system waltzing us in the direction that we are wanted to go. Bush brings war, which we borrow money to fund. Corporations reap huge profits from the war. The government devalues the dollar to repay the debt, and the middle class has the hell pinched out of it to cover the costs.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

neo96
Americans think they are poor ?

They don't even know what the hell poor is. Other places like Africa know.

I work with a Nigerian man. He says this exact same thing. He says, "If you think you got it bad, come to my home. Live in the bush. Then tell me what 'bad" is."

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

neo96
Aww I do so love the manufactured current 'crisis'.

"Manufactured" is right. But let's be honest, not new.

Are you better off than your parents? Probably not if you're in the middle class. Incomes for 90% of Americans have been stuck in neutral, and it's not just because of the Great Recession. Middle-class incomes have been stagnant for at least a generation, while the wealthiest tier has surged ahead at lighting speed.

How the middle class became the underclass

I just can't be a Bleeding Heart Conservative.

The REAL job creators are starting to awaken. They are sick of paying for Corporate Welfare. It is time to demand a living wage. If a Business can't pay it then it's not a viable business and should not be subsidized by the Tax payers.

Nobody is buying the Snake Oil anymore. There's a Storm coming.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

"Manufactured" is right. But let's be honest, not new.

Yeah be honest more like recycled rhetoric. So true enough nothing new.

I just can't be a Bleeding Heart Conservative.

Why yes being a 'bleeding heart liberal' that destroys business is soooo much better

The REAL job creators are starting to awaken.

Hows' that ?

The real job creators are small business owners getting crushed with asinine 'bleeding heart liberalism' that forces them to shell out money they don't have vis a vis wage hikes, and forcing them to pay for health insurance.

Plus all the other stuff already listed like unemployment insurance,workmans comp. and half of employees, social security, and medicare benefits.

They are sick of paying for Corporate Welfare

Apparently not since that is what wage hikes are people need more money so they can go out and buy more corporate products to live 'comfortably'.

Nobody is buying the Snake Oil anymore.

Sure enough quite a few people really don't buy the snakeoil of so called 'liberalism' that has a severe lack of 'liberal'.

There's a Storm coming.

Gasp!

Really ?

There is a storm coming ?

How does one figure that when the 'disenfranchised' always hides behinds government's skirt to give them things they can't get on their own ?
edit on 21-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   

neo96
The real job creators are small business owners getting crushed with asinine 'bleeding heart liberalism' that forces them to shell out money they don't have vis a vis wage hikes, and forcing them to pay for health insurance.

A Small Business only exists if there are Customers.

No Customers = No Small Business.

No Small Business = No Jobs.

Customers need Money.

Putting more money into the pocket of the Customer instead of Corporate Welfare will create more spending, which will create more jobs.

Yes, there is a Storm coming. So make sure you purchase a sturdy Umbrella. Preferably from a Small Business. That way you can help to create more Jobs.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
In the 1970's, When I was a kid in Michigan, it seemed that everyone earned good wages. My Mom didn't work and my dad came home from his assembly-line job at Whirlpool corporation by 3:30pm every day. He'd take me and my brother fishing in the evenings. We'd go to some U.S. landmark once a year for a week. Had a nice big motorhome for weekend trips...

Fast forward to 2014. My wife and I are both college educated, hard workers. Sometimes I get home by 5pm. Her 5th grade class is dismissed at 3:15pm, but she can never get home before 5pm. Our two teenage sons have not enjoyed even half the number of vacations that I had taken. Between taxes on income, property taxes, food costs, electricity, gasoline, and miscellaneous maintenance items, we are getting squeezed out of enjoying life.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED between 1974 and 2014 to screw American Families so profoundly? What did we do to deserve this...elect the wrong officials? After all, the buck stops with the American people doesn't it? "We The People" are America. Right?
-cwm

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

A Small Business only exists if there are Customers. No Customers = No Small Business. No Small Business = No Jobs. Customers need Money.

Small business needs money to keep it's doors open eh .

Putting more money into the pocket of the Customer instead of Corporate Welfare will create more spending, which will create more jobs.

Guess you missed how wage hikes is corporate welfare. Hell all social engineering programs are corporate welfare.

Since those who support it is guaranteeing them income.

Yes, there is a Storm coming. So make sure you purchase a sturdy Umbrella. Preferably from a Small Business. That way you can help to create more Jobs.

Thats good then if they turn out like OWS did. They are going to need to take baths.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by carewemust

By 1970, the U.S. only held $14.5 billion in gold against foreign dollar holdings of $45.7 billion. On August 15, 1971, President Nixon changed the dollar/gold relationship to $38 per ounce. More important, the Fed stopped redeeming dollars with gold. The U.S. government repriced gold to $42 per ounce in 1973, and then decoupled the value of the dollar from gold altogether. The price of gold quickly shot up to $120 per ounce in the free market. (Source: Time, Fuss Over Dollar Devaluation, October 4, 1971)

This happened.

useconomy.about.com...

The problem among many is the dollar is backed by nothing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join