It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible vs. the law of man.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JamesCookieIII

you are effectively asking religious folk to prove empirically a rationalist arguement... you are creating a false paradox with no solution and saying "see? it cannot be."

You're not special. You are not exempt from the rules of scientific examination. If you find yourself unable or unwilling to successfully complete such an examination, then your claims are unfit to be declared science. Given that such science forms the foundation of modern legislation, you can see where that puts those claims.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

actually, I think God kills those who do follow his rules, thus lift the veil off their eyes so that they may live eternally with his. you reap what you sow.

Although I don't expect religion to be logical....this statement is one of the most ridiculous I have ever read.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

So, that's where we don't fit in your box.

hah, I expected more from you.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

oktopus

So, that's where we don't fit in your box.

hah, I expected more from you.

Sadly, I can't say the same for you. You're exactly the same as a dozen other posters who feel we should take their word for granted and never question any claims or assumptions they might use as a foundation for their thread. That's not how we work around here.
edit on 23-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

If that what you'll be spouting in my threads constantly I don't want you anymore in them.
reply to post by oktopus

Unfortunately for you....you don't get to make those calls. I am offering an alternative perspective and challenging your assertions. Thats what debate is. Can't take the heat....don't post a thread.

It's up to you as the OP to defend your position.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

I see that since you don't have anything to defend you don't make any.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by oktopus

I believe the bible says that if you look at a woman in lust, you have to poke out your eyes.

Seems like a legit law.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I see that since you don't have anything to defend you don't make any.
reply to post by oktopus

Then you haven't been paying attention. I suggest you re-read my posts....I was definitely making a point.

I'm going to give you your wish...I'm done with this thread. There is no use trying to debate with zealots. Logic and reason have nothing to do with faith....faith is blind, whereas logic and reason illuminate.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
OK Folks, let's stop the personal commentary and address the topic, Please.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

if what I believe is true, then the simple act of you existing, for even epsilon seconds, brings glory to God. You should be proud of every single thing you have ever done, including the sins. I think I remember when I felt like you feel about God. maybe you feel different, but be proud that you existed. I just know that I wasn't proud to exist (although I though I was) before I found the power of believing. now, although I've made mistakes in life, I feel proud to exist, even while I continue to make mistakes.
When I found God, mistakes became blessings, and confusion became hope.

I ain't trying to sell God to anyone - on the contrary, I am trying to communicate about what I have personally experienced, which is that God is the perfection which we seek. Perhaps I should put it in terms which might make sense from other mindsets. Of a Buddist mindset - the Christian God which I have faith in can equal to Enlightenment. From a person's mind who believes in karma - God is karma's self evident truth. look at it from mathematical perspective - God is the singularity which solves two separate equations. aka God is the proof that everything can be related to something else in terms of each other.
Plato found God.
Descartes found God.
Everything which has ever existed has found God.
God solves every problem truthfully.

God allows us to make mistakes so that we may learn. God loves us.

Is this not a definition of God that we can agree would be Good if He existed?

this is the God which I believe exists. I believe he will rescue each and every soul and no one will experience hell eternally. I call myself a Christian, not because that is the traditional philosophy of Christianity, but because it should be. I call myself a scientist because scientists like to learn. I propose that neither are exclusive to either, because everything can be related to everything else. Therefore, I ask you to believe in such a God too so that we may converse with one another as if we we on heaven on earth. If we can do this, we could perform science like Noone has ever seen before. We could do it while neither creating nor destroying other people's beliefs.

we should make a new section of Christianity, one where we identify and use the self - evident truths to "treat others the way we want to be treated." we just need to describe how we want to be treated well first. I propose that the God which I believe exists leads us to these truths, and gives us all the necessary tools to use them. Can we agree that such a God would be King of Kings?

let's define the TRUE equilibrium which is possible to find between science and faith. let's use this to find the proper equilibrium between the Bible and Law of Man.
edit on 2/23/2014 by JamesCookieIII because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

That's not what the topic is about.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Faith is not the key to breaking an encryption. Faith is the key to assuming you already know what's inside, even though you've never gotten a look. And I won't apologize for having an opinion.

faith is the key to acknowledging that you have found a self evident truth which you can believe in

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

JamesCookieIII

AfterInfinity

Faith is not the key to breaking an encryption. Faith is the key to assuming you already know what's inside, even though you've never gotten a look. And I won't apologize for having an opinion.

faith is the key to acknowledging that you have found a self evident truth which you can believe in

Truth, by its very nature, eliminates the requisition of faith. Grab a dictionary and educate yourself - seems like half the people here either don't know the definition or don't care.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Recognizing Real Wisdom

20 Fear the Lord and keep his Law; that is what Wisdom is all about.[c] 22 You may know everything there is to know about wickedness, but that does not make you wise. It is not sensible to follow the advice of sinners. 23 It is possible to use cleverness for wicked purposes, but some people act like fools because they don't know any better. 24 A devout person, even if he is not very intelligent, is better off than the cleverest of sinners. 25 It is possible to be marvelously clever and still be dishonest, or to get what you want by being absurdly polite.

26 Then there are those wicked people who go about looking very solemn and mournful, but who are only trying to deceive you. 27 They will turn their faces away and pretend not to hear you, but they'll take advantage of you when you least expect it. 28 If for some reason they are unable to sin now, they'll get around to it at the first opportunity. 29 You can know people by their appearance. The first time you look at them, you can tell if they have good sense. 30 Their character shows in the way they dress, the way they laugh, and the way they walk.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
You know what? I'm done here. Have fun. I hope you enjoy your time here while it lasts.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

JamesCookieIII

AfterInfinity

Truth, by its very nature, eliminates the requisition of faith. Grab a dictionary and educate yourself - seems like half the people here either don't know the definition or don't care.

you misrepresent my analysis. what I am saying should make you happy, and realize we don't have to agree or indeed disagree either. your faith in science makes me glad - because that kind of faith is the exact kind of faith which makes the world better. If what I believe is true, then I will see each and every one of you in heaven... I am not off topic of this thread, just trying to analyze it from yet one more perspective.

If truth eliminates the need to have faith, then you have never found truth, because all you've ever had was faith (in math, science, philosophy, laws of physics, theory of language, the definition of justice, *insert variable here*... In other words truth would be an ideal which you could only approach or approximate, but not find.

I believe that there is ACTUALLY truth out there, by a definition of which would be satisfactionary to everyone. really I do. The point is that it could only be found by having faith that everything exists, which means that faith is necessary to find the TRUE truths.

or do you feel differently?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I don't have faith in science. The closest I come is having faith in mankind to respect science and its processes.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

I don't have faith in science. The closest I come is having faith in mankind to respect science and its processes.

if you value that respect, will you not join us in respecting other parts of life and their respective processes also? : ) all I personally want is to stop this war before it ever happens, the one brooding between science and religion. let's find the middle ground and that way we can all respect each other, find peace, and start a positive feedback reaction which spreads love and peace!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join