It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bible vs. the law of man.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

Does that mean you have to go around killing people?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I would opt for a painless one which cures.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

You do see how that matters, you are just trolling.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Instead of using your information in a constructive way, you choose to make it something to ridicule and humiliate.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Are you making that up to convince yourself you don't need to deal with the reality of yourself?
reply to post by oktopus

Although I'm not exactly sure to what you are referring...I am just fine with the reality of myself. I made nothing up that I am aware of....can you be a wee more specific?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

You do see how that matters, you are just trolling.
reply to post by oktopus

I can assure you I'm not....but I am allowing you to waste my time...which I am no longer willing to do.

Best of luck.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Does the op believe in the highway code?

That restricts the mind as well.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Control your rage (don't kill; respect parents), control your greed (do not covet), don't cheat on your spouse, don't steal, don't put yourself before God (the one who writes these rules) - and if you can manage all of that you will live in peace. Sounds like solid advice to me.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

deadcalm
reply to post by oktopus

My point is that the bible is a collection of fairy tales WRITTEN BY MEN, for the purpose of control and manipulation. To suggest that we should follow the "laws" of the bible is absurd. Have you actually read any of them?

I have the destinct impression that you are baiting me...trolling if you will. For what purpose?

Of course he is trolling. See his recent threads.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I guess I am then.. If afterinfinity says so.. it must be true.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

deadcalm

The science of the bible is above the law of man.
reply to post by oktopus

The bible is not science. It is based on faith and belief...despite the lack of scientific evidence to prove God's existence. It also should be mentioned that the bible was written by man....not God. If we followed the "law" in the bible it would allow zealots to kill unbelievers....slaughter the whole lot of them. The Old Testament literally drips with the blood of cities destroyed by God's order because they did not worship him.

Science is based on belief and faith too. Two different languages that say the same things.....

science v religion debate is completely paradoxial. Both intend to quantify and qualify miracles... however, a miracle is not a miracle without the faith that it hasn't deceived the beholder. Both are required to do great things nowadays...
science+religion = philosophy (in a very crude, unpolished sort of simplification). If you believe in one without the others, you will never change the world in a good, effectual way. Don't lose hope, but rather ask the Creator to show you what you need to see. The rest will fall into place. God bless you all.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The bible is a spiritual science with effects in morality. There are many sciences.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Science is based on belief and faith too.
reply to post by JamesCookieIII

Science is not based on belief or faith. Where did you get that? Science is based on what we know....what is measurable, provable and repeatable.

Faith, as far as I'm concerned is abhorrent. Faith can justify any attrocity...any indignity. How many millions have met their deaths because of the belief and faith of others? Faith and belief holds humanity back. Just 500 years ago we "believed" because of our "faith" that the Earth was the center of all creation. We truely believed the Earth was flat....despite the fact that there was evidence that clearly showed that this was nonsense. I could go on and on but I'm guessing we are at two completely different ends of the spectrum...never to find common ground.

I wish you well on your journey.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

oktopus

I guess I am then.. If afterinfinity says so.. it must be true.

Almost every thread you've posted since you joined earlier this month have been you preaching. I don't have a problem with that. I do, however, have a problem with people posting threads just to glorify their own opinion. I might be wrong, but two solid posts full of nothing but quoted scripture doesn't strike me as the beginning of a thoughtful discussion. It's not Sunday and this isn't a church.

But hey, it is a religion forum. I just figured maybe some actual discussion could take place.
edit on 22-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Control your rage (don't kill; respect parents), control your greed (do not covet), don't cheat on your spouse, don't steal, don't put yourself before God (the one who writes these rules) - and if you can manage all of that you will live in peace. Sounds like solid advice to me.
reply to post by Dianec

Hmmm...yet God himself couldn't control his rage....to the point where he sent a flood to wipe out the human race. Destroyed cities....murdered millions. Ordered fathers to kill their sons....you see the contradiction in that I hope. He couldn't even keep one of the most importamt of his own commandments....thou shalt not kill. Sounds like one of those "do as I say, not as I do" type of dieties.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

At least not with you, cause I figure since you just figured you won't be around here anymore?

Pitty it took years for you to figure it out.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

oktopus

At least not with you, cause I figure since you just figured you won't be around here anymore?

Pitty it took years for you to figure it out.

...I don't get it.
edit on 22-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by oktopus

Im doing no such thing. As a Christian myself...I feel sorry for those of my faith that cant see the forest for the trees.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

deadcalm

Science is based on belief and faith too.

Science is based on a few assumptions... and technically it never proved anything. It only disproves something. take a re-look at the scientific method. The faith comes in during the interpretation of the data, and the communication process. We often assume as scientists that the future will resemble the past. however, with string theory and development of quantum physics, this assumption should not be ALWAYS assumed.

also, I would like to point out that we are not at the opposite ends of the spectrum, because there is no spectrum. There is an artificial "paradox" created by arguing about how to go about life... empirically or rationally? for this little bit I'd like to keep it related to science v religion, but really it's a philosophical arguement about ethics.

The point I really would like to see people agree on is that virtuous ethical scientists are who really makes miracles happen in the science departments.

just like religion, science can be distorted and misrepresent how good both of them can be. The way to do it right is be a faithful scientist, following virtuous examples in both feilds. now sometimes people don't know what virtue means. I think that the bible offers an awesome example of a virtuous person, namely a dude named Jesus. If you disagree, I wish u could tell me why.

Science is not based on belief or faith. Where did you get that? Science is based on what we know....what is measurable, provable and repeatable.

Faith, as far as I'm concerned is abhorrent. Faith can justify any attrocity...any indignity. How many millions have met their deaths because of the belief and faith of others? Faith and belief holds humanity back. Just 500 years ago we "believed" because of our "faith" that the Earth was the center of all creation. We truely believed the Earth was flat....despite the fact that there was evidence that clearly showed that this was nonsense. I could go on and on but I'm guessing we are at two completely different ends of the spectrum...never to find common ground.

I wish you well on your journey.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Was there a response in there somewhere? Looks like the quotes got out of hand.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join