It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ROTC Teen Shot (Killed) While Holding Wii Remote

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

17-year-old Christopher Roupe of Euharlee, Georgia, was shot by local police. His crime? Answering the door while holding a Wii Remote.
A Nintendo Wii remote
A Nintendo Wii remote
Police went to the family home in the Eagle View Mobile Home Park last Friday to serve Roupe’s father a warrant for violating probation. Police say the teen – who was an active ROTC member at Woodland High School – answered the door and pointed a gun at the female officer.
However, eyewitnesses say that Roupe was holding a Nintendo Wii remote. Allegedly, he heard the knock at the door, asked who it was, and opened it when he heard no answer. He was immediately shot in the chest. Neighbors ran to the scene after hearing the shot. Roupe was still clutching the video game controller and the officer was crying, claiming he had had a BB gun.

Source

Local Source

Another Source

I have to say this has me asking the question do cops kill or injure more people per capita than street thugs?

If any normal citizen did this they would be in jail charged with 2nd degree murder.

THIS HAS TO
!

She will likely get away with it saying it was justified because the kid had an object in his hand. Police SOP 'when in doubt shot first'.

edit on 3852014-02-21T10:02:38-06:002014-02-21T10:02:38-06:00fam2 by SWCCFAN because: Added sources

edit on 5452014-02-21T10:04:54-06:002014-02-21T10:04:54-06:00fam2 by SWCCFAN because: added video

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Already posted and discussed here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

This hardens my heart tremendously, a kid from a trailer park with a troubled situation doing the best he could. Being guided by Jrotc instructors and peers to be a better citizen and a better person was shot dead because of the incompetence of an officer serving a warrant. This stems from either a lack of training, or a lack of self control, both of which are supposedly tested out of the police force while still in training at the academy. Now is the time to draw and line, this far NO further. This is absolutely unacceptable. The officer should be discharged from their employment and a grand jury impaneled. A cry for blood should be answered for. This officer should serve as an example for all others. Their should be consequences.

Either that or citizens need to police the police to whatever means necessary. Including the use of deadly force when circumstances call for it. If the people do not hold these public servants accountable, they are literally locking themselves in their own cage or pulling the trigger on their own children themselves.

I can relate a lot to this kid. As I said, it hardens my heart.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The part about all these stories that frustrates me is that the police essentially have a get out of jail free card. Even when they do get fired they just get a job with another department. I don't think I have ever heard of one yes I messed up I did the crime and will do the time.

Their time should be double what the current penalty is for a normal citizen. I think this should fall on the shoulders of the elected officials as well by not holding the LE accountable they are accessories after the fact.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

cosmicexplorer
reply to post by SWCCFAN

maybe they were scared after seeing all those youtube videos of the remotes destroying countless tvs!

sorry just trying to add comic relief in sad times.
edit on 21-2-2014 by cosmicexplorer because: (no reason given)

I do think that parents should not let kids play violent video games. I have a few but I have issues playing them given my history. My xbox 360 has been in a box for almost a year now... Killing in a video game may seem fun but when you have been trough a real life situation its not so fun and it is not something you can ever forget.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is just getting rediculous, WAY to many accidental shooting of innocent people. This will continue, until some of these police are brought to justice, sending a very Clear message. If you do the crime, you do the time. What this police officers did was a crime, Murder. And she should pay the price. What if this had been a judges daughter or son, or a congressmans child. The police officer would be prosecuted. And she needs to be prosecuted, this is unexeptable

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

I also think the elected officials should be implicated in the event this cop gets away with this. They have the power to make the changes and time after time again we see in-action on their part from making any changes.

Cops kill innocent people the Gov't does nothing. Crazy person kills innocent people Gov't wants to take everyone's guns.

I guess we are all just landless peasants after all...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
other than someone who apparently can't tell the difference between a game controller and a gun who therefore should not be a cop in the first place, something else stands out to me from this story, it would seem the police officer DID NOT IDENTIFY HERSELF since it was stated he opened the door when no one answered his calling out. are cops not supposed to identify themselves when knocking on a door? i would doubt this would have been a "no knock warrant" as there was not a swat raid, and only one cop who knocked on the door.

Allegedly, he heard the knock at the door, asked who it was, and opened it when he heard no answer.
(from the OP's quote)

the kid did make one mistake and it cost him his life. that is he opened the door when no one answered him. it could have been a home invasion or anything. he should have armed himself and found a safe spot to be able to defend himself and NOT OPENED THE DOOR UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

THIS HAS TO STOP.

this cop was apparently either scared of doing her job and panicked, or was just waiting for the chance to shoot someone and thus was firing before she was able to properly access the situation. perhaps cops need weekly or even daily mental assessments so they can pull cops off duty when they get like that. laws should be put in place that any cop who shoots unarmed, non dangerous people IMMEDIATELY BE REMOVED FROM THE FORCE, with NO PAY OR SEVERANCE, and unable to join any other police force. on top of that there should be a set "blood price" they have to pay, say somewhere around $1,000,000, and anything they can't pay by selling off their assets and/or borrowing be covered by the police force out of their budget with the ex-cops having to work hard in PRISON until they pay it off or die.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Gun control for cops ...
That's the solution.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

I second that. One should not have to live in fear of being shot just for opening the door. An officer shouldn't even be allowed to shoot if one answers the door with a gun. They were on his property and he had every right to open his door with whatever the hell he wanted. I think police officers should be disarmed and prisons should be left only for the worst of the worst. Any society that wants to put a man in a cage should spend a good while in a cage themselves so they can comprehend what that's like. Too many innocent people being turned into slaves for simple things. The system needs burned and rebuilt.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Lol yeh how ironic but these continual cases in US of Cops shooting innocent people, I have to agree its time to enforce gun control laws on cops. The alternative is they start being more clever in their approaches, for example as a first go why not phone call someone in house set a meeting time, and also giving them the option of coming into the police station. That has to be a better approach than lets rock up to their house unannounced all nervous with our hands on guns. This case is another tragedy because the cop needs to be tried for manslaughter now if justice is to be done which is sad because the whole thing was avoidable.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

So you cant answer the door with something in your hand? This is really scary times here in America.

If police come to your door and knock, my only advice is to ignore them completely and wait for them to go away. If they have a warrant then make them break in. Then make sure you are already laying down on the floor so they think you are already dead and in no way a threat. Do not make the mistake of getting naked so they see you are unarmed. This frightens officers and they may discharge weapons your way based on nudity alone. Naked is extremely threatening. Many of us did not know that. If you have an animal. Duct tape the animals mouth closed and chain them up in a locked room so this pet is not in any way perceived as a threat. Unless you have the type dog who pees on the floor. Then you might want to let him go say hello to the officers.

Not to make light this boys senseless death. I am just very afraid it is going to get a whole lot worse before it ever gets better.

top topics

join