It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I used to belief in God but now I know there is no god but ...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

iRoyalty
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Yeah that's true, the poster on the first page was just very convinced about God's gender, and I wondered if there was something solid to back it up.

As you say though, it's not particularly important I just find religions fascinating, more so the effect they have on people and their reasoning. I also don't mean that in a negative light, just to clarify!

nope...I get it. no negativity taken.

it was actually good talking with you...

I am out...

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Mettā friend.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   

droid56
I see the idea of a benevolent god as the creator of the amazingly vast physical universe as ridiculous. A father, a shephard, a really nice guy? Give me a break! Way too big for even a really great guy.

"Benevolent", "nice guy", "judging", "he", "father", "shepherd".

Don't you all see how ridiculous human those attributes are for a potentially incomprehensible being/entity?

I may actually believe in a "higher intelligence", or "source" or "creator" even....something, a purpose behind the universe and a reason why the universe has a tendency to actually develop consciousness, higher order etc..

But all those classic religious idea of how this god is "supposed to be" are for me incredibly limited and naive.

Let's assume a form of intelligence was indeed responsible for the birth of the universe, matter and subsequently life/consciousness....does this intelligence need to be "benevolent"? What does "benevolent" mean? Is the creation of the universe a "good deed"...where a "benevolent" "intention" (again...human attributes!) must be behind them? If this intelligence or source exist, be assured it would be BEYOND "benevolent" and beyond "good or evil"...and more complex and more "mysterious" than the kindergarten-like descriptions in some books.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

It doesn't need to be any of those things to be "the creator" but, it needs to be all those things and a pinch more to be the creator according to a religious text or two.

edit on 22-2-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

ChuckNasty
reply to post by droid56

Open up and see the signs. A Creator is there. If you ask and believe, the signs will be there.

No religion required!

and much much more.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   

alienreality
For people that just "give up" without even harboring an ounce of faith or belief in possibilities, you are right.
He is real however. It isn't supposed to be easy. Keep looking.
I know for a fact he's real. And yep, he is a he.
What's next?

If you know it for a fact.. What is this
fact that makes you know it?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
maybe instead of pondering if there is a god....try pondering why there is a god.
if your first thought is because man made the ideea for a multitude of reasons, then skip to the second thought because we all know that is true and unavoidable once we became self conscious ...
ask yourself ....why does god exist?
i am talking about the cliche almighty non religous omnipotent god....not the "goddess"...nor the "particle".not "nature"....not the "source"..............
just GOD.WHY does god exist?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Faeded
WHY does god exist?

The question is, why do YOU think it exists?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

daskakik

Faeded
WHY does god exist?

The question is, why do YOU think it exists?

which question is that?
are you askin me the question i posed others to ask themsELVES?
though i used the word "thought"...and thought is involved...try keeping the word "think" out of it...
if you need to, pretend you "know"god exist.
now ponder "why"god exist
not why or how you know god exist.....
just why.
as for me.....
without god the creator there would be nothing to destyroy
no one to love(including god)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Faeded
maybe instead of pondering if there is a god....try pondering why there is a god.
if your first thought is because man made the ideea for a multitude of reasons, then skip to the second thought because we all know that is true and unavoidable once we became self conscious ...
ask yourself ....why does god exist?
i am talking about the cliche almighty non religous omnipotent god....not the "goddess"...nor the "particle".not "nature"....not the "source"..............
just GOD.WHY does god exist?

Sorry to point out something. You cannot ponder on why there is a God until you can first prove there is a God. Once you have proven yes then you can ask why!

I challenge anyone here to find evidence of Ancient Cultures worshipping THE God that you are talking about.

You can't! Because these Ancient Civilizations did not worship the Biblical God because it did not exist in their time. They worshipped Star GODS and the SUN!

People have only been worshipping 'God' for 5,000 years or so. So why did these people over a period of 250.000 years not worship 'God'.

That's because it wasn't invented then!!

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I don't believe in gods (at least any "defined" by man), but I always liked Hinduism's Shiva as a metaphor.

A destroyer, but the flip side of Shiva is also that something must be destroyed to aid "creation".

To me that is a great parallel to a supernova. Something is destroyed, but it also spews forth (the only source of) many of the elements needed for life (of all kinds)--on Earth for example.
In addition they create a sort of stellar nursery for the cycle to go on...

I DO believe in that.
edit on 2/22/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Faeded
if you need to, pretend you "know"god exist.
now ponder "why"god exist

If I try doing that I arrive back at "god doesn't exist" before getting around to "why god exists", so I am left wondering why do YOU think it exists?

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Nonsensical.

The physical universe isn't the only thing that exists. What also exists are subjective states which human beings experience. It's simply non-sensical to imagine that a "intelligent force" created the universe but "accidentally" created a thinking, feeling creature with the capacity to reflect on it's own experience, be aware of it's own awareness, and function within an interpersonal web of energetic communication with other minds.

If there is an intelligent force response for the objective world - that same force must be responsible for the emergence of subjective states from those objective realities i.e. the human nervous system.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I tried to post.. and had to go back to read your OP again.... Ok so what you're saying is..

God isn't a "guy"
God is an unknown force.

I think that's pretty solid.

ID is, in my opinion, obvious. We just don't have any idea what the heck is going on or what/who ID is D'd by.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Sorry to point out something. You cannot ponder on why there is a God until you can first prove there is a God. Once you have proven yes then you can ask why!

I challenge anyone here to find evidence of Ancient Cultures worshipping THE God that you are talking about.

You can't! Because these Ancient Civilizations did not worship the Biblical God because it did not exist in their time. They worshipped Star GODS and the SUN!

People have only been worshipping 'God' for 5,000 years or so. So why did these people over a period of 250.000 years not worship 'God'.

That's because it wasn't invented then!!

'Invented' isn't a great term to use.

The "God" people worship today is a re-hash of all the "Gods" etc the ancients used to worship. It's very simple. As time goes on, people's ideals and ways change. Therefore, beliefs mold to fit.

God has forever existed. It's our interpretation that will forever change. Why? Because we're limited. And that's not (to my knowledge) any of our fault. We have no real idea of what is going on or what/who God is. So we make the best of trying to figure out what's happening and what it's all about.

And i don't think that's bad thing...

I like that people are starting to look outside of what religion has told us for years, and are starting to ponder what God is once more.... you'll notice how it's evolving again..... but those who are thinking of new ideas will be using the God we know now as a stepping stone.. just as the God of the past few thousand years used the beliefs that came before.

I hope that makes sense

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sn0rch

Hi I'm josh those words are so true .

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

They say god only takes the innersent .why even bother to let a lovely young lad to be born .
Then to die at 18 my Bro. Heathcliffe.
God has nothing in my life god does not exist in my life to me god means nothing but a waste of Scripture. So why am I here , I'm here for total knollage of anything about our earth universe .
And life on many planets .I do believe there is lots out there . Have they been here to earth I don't no .There was a book that said someone came but he was no god maybe just an intelligent life form from deep from space . Chinese whispers. Who visited .may we thought he was a god . Maybe he was but yo me he was an alien . We are here .and they are many more out there . Thanks for trying to understand me as I have problems spelling grammar .and no trying to get across watts on my mind thanks again josh

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

TwiTcHomatic

TiedDestructor

TwiTcHomatic

alienreality

TwiTcHomatic

alienreality
For people that just "give up" without even harboring an ounce of faith or belief in possibilities, you are right.
He is real however. It isn't supposed to be easy. Keep looking.
I know for a fact he's real. And yep, he is a he.
What's next?

If anyone knew for a "fact", indisputable evidence would be available.

You know for a fact that you believe.. nothing more.

Almost... I know for a fact he exists. Ive seen proof. It isn't my job to show anyone proof. It is your job to find your own proof, if you so desire.

I had a talking penguin tell me there was no god.

See how easy that is.

You have faith in what you believe, and there is nothing wrong with that.

But please, don't talk of facts with nothing to back up your claims. We deny ignorance here.

Yet genuine ignorance is the pinnacle of learning? Isn't bigotry laced with ignorance the aggressor you seek to deny/defy? Ignorance has been given credence enough. In your statement alone.

Actually that was a baseless statement with no point of fact.

Which was a clear mocking example of someone saying they had proof with no evidence. One cannot exist without the other.

Who is the aggressor here? The one who wants you to believe what they say with no question based on their statement with nothing to back up the claims.. or the one who genuinely wants the information they say they have?

This is the basis for denying ignorance. To learn and grow , but not buy everything you hear without at least the tiniest shred of evidence.

But of course.. this thread will go like they all do.

"You don't believe me.. so I must attack your character"... this does nothing for your cause.

You ramble alot. Yep.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I am the opposite of you, OP. I used to be an aetheist and now am not. When I was younger I didn't go to church and rebellious in my teen years. Just sort of aimless, without direction.

Things I guess changed for me when I started to get older and wiser. Why are we here? Why is anything here? Why not just a blank sheet of paper or black paper. There are a lot of planets with no life on them, actually I am not sure if we found another planet with life on it. I heard the found fossils of bacteria or germs on Mars but not really sure. If not we have found no other life. Life has to come from somewhere and we have no idea how that is possible. Just materializes or shows up one day. Nature can't explain that .

With God , you can say what came before God. How did he come into being? I have Faith in something larger than myself and just accept that and am at peace. I don't question it. With 3D environments in video games they need an architect or a designer, and people " create" them. We are so advanced I can't help but think we are all like tiny Gods or Demigods. We are capable of the greatest things and the most horrible atrocities imaginable.

Maybe in a million years when we can travel to other planets and solar systems and are technology is a lot more advanced we can begin to ask ourselves those questions or find the answers. I would say at this point in our civilization we shouldn't really argue over the unknowable. I used to be angry when I was younger. At things at religion. Sorta really immature and just nieve, but when you just open yourself up to the wonders of life, the magnificence the overwhelming awe of it all you can't help but feel blessed or gifted to be here. And a part of it all.

OK , say there is no God. Why is life here? Magic, no . Nature, where did it start? Evolution, how did it start? I heard someone on TV compare Aetheism to a " sleeping rock". I actually forgot what they said , but ..... What's your Great answer to everything. I don't know ....something ...something.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join