It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is My Virtual Reality Being Spied On?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Note to moderators: I'm almost positive that this is in the right place. But you may move it wherever you see fit.

I just want to start out by saying that I am not at all completely computer savvy, so this thread may seem silly to some. My story is this: I was curious about a story that I wanted to see on the web. I first entered the search expression on my tablet, and went to a website. Since my tablet has limited functionality, I couldn't watch the video I wanted to see there. And so I go and turn on my laptop to watch the video there. I went to Google (the same website I went to in the first place), and before I could complete the search, my search was already saved on my laptop! I'm 100% sure that I never searched for that before on the laptop. Does Google save searches across different devices? I'd appreciate the opinion of someone who's computer savvy, and especially someone who's familiar with Google's practices.

Note: I have to take care of a few things, so don't be mad if I don't respond right away.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

You have a google email account to log into youtube or save bookmarks or whatever right?
It synchs across all machines. There are some other possibilities but that is the main and most common one

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It's also very easy to turn off or toggle which selections you want..

1. While logged in click the SETTINGS ICON (looks like 3 horizontal bars in the upper right corner)
2. Click SETTINGS
3. CLick ADVANCED SYNC
4. Uncheck what you don't want shared/cached across devices.

edit on 2014pAmerica/Chicago2807ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I have a question, but I gotta go somewhere. I'll be back.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Google is bad, mmmkay?

Except Google Earth - I know it's evil, but it's like music, the Devil has all the good stuff.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
You said complete the search so had you written in a word or 2? If so it was probably there as a suggestion they come up in the drop down menu though and you have to select it, so this might not be usefull.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Maybe just try clearing your internet history, cookies etc. Otherwise the reason the said event happened is you may have previously searched it but forgot.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

My question is, even though I don't use Google Chrome anymore, does it still sync me across devices? You are talking about the sync function with Chrome, right? I'm using Firefox right now. I just found that so creepy.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

No, it was highlighted as if it was a saved search that I did on the laptop.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by blueyezblkdragon

This was concerning a news event that I had seen today. I hadn't even turned on the laptop today at that moment. I know because I mostly use the tablet now, and use the laptop at predictable times of the day. I don't sleep-surf (the web) during the day!

edit on bThu, 20 Feb 2014 23:41:31 -0600pm50America/Chicago2pmThursday20America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

edit on bThu, 20 Feb 2014 23:41:53 -0600pm50America/Chicago2pmThursday20America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

I just did what both of you guys recommended, it still shows up as a saved search! Do I have to give it some time... ? This is giving me the creeps. And besides, what does what I searched for have to do with my accounts? None of the things checked off in your picture have to do with saved searches. And if so, which one?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
It has nothing to do with Chrome. It doesn't matter what web browser you're using. This is a Google feature. If you're signed into your Google account, on any machine, it will save your searches. So wherever you go, if you sign into Google your searches will be available. This has nothing to do with synching. And no one is spying on you. Relax.

Edit:
Also keep in mind that Google suggests searches for you based on popular searches that other people have done. So if you're searching for something that others have, it will suggest that search as you're typing it. Which I guess to the computer illiterate, could make it appear that it already knew what you wanted to search for.
edit on 21-2-2014 by SaganTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SaganTheGreat

Just as an experiment, if I wanted to turn off the saved searches across devices, what could I do? What somebody a few comments ago recommended obviously doesn't work.

new topics

top topics

join