It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of Countries Currently in Turmoil

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Ever since the Arab Spring, the number of countries in turmoil around the globe has been increasing. So in an effort to try and keep up on all the demonstrations, protests, and on going wars I have started the following list.

The first ten are the most well known at the moment and the last half dozen are conflicts in Africa. I have included the main reasons for unrest in parenthesis. This is far from a complete list, so any help in updating, adding to, or correcting this list is appreciated. Much thanks in advance ATS.

List of Countries Currently in Turmoil

Syria (Oust Bashar al-Assad, civil war)
Ukraine (Russia vs EU affiliations, anti-government)
Thailand (anti-government, oust Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra)
Venezuela (economic problems, shortages, protected freedom of speech)
Egypt (anti-government, oust President Mubarak)
Turkey (anti-government, oust Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan)
Spain (austerity, anti-protest law, abortion law)
Greece (austerity, assorted strikes and protests)
Cyprus (austerity, bailouts)
Bosnia and Herzegovina (anti-government, factory closures, anti-privatization)
Mexico (militas forming against drug cartels)

Central African Republic (civil war)
Democratic Republic of Congo (war against rebel groups)
Mali (war against tuareg and islamist militants)
Nigeria (war against islamist militants)
Somalia (war against islamist militants)
Sudan (war against rebel groups) & South Sudan (civil war)

P.S. My apologies if this has been addressed recently as I didn't use the search function.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

Thanks for the list - I wonder what's causing all the distress?

I do have question. What do you mean by anti-government: 1) against all government in principle or 2) just against the current regime?

Would that we could fight for something.....

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

FyreByrd

I do have question. What do you mean by anti-government: 1) against all government in principle or 2) just against the current regime?

Good question. All these conflicts have multiple causes, so rather than put up a laundry list of reasons, I just put anti- government to indicate they are against their own government's policies or the protests have escalated to the point of being against the current government in general. Anyone can feel free to add any other causes that they know of in relation to any of these on the list.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

You should have also put America in that list, we are not exactly finer then frog hair right now either. I think the near future globally is going to produce something of sorts good or bad idk but something is going to happen and it wont be you or I or anyone of us little people making the choices. I hope for sure that the world re learns to fall in love again. It is rather a sad state of the union in the USA and around the globe.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

If the occupy movement had escalated, the U.S. would be on the list. But I haven't heard a peep about that lately. Is anyone still camping out with the occupy movement?

edit on 20-2-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I don't think occupy represents the issues ongoing in this country and all the others very accurately. I will say though that it does not take a "protest" to know about perpetual war, fear, and debt. I don't think many people here are CERTAIN about the future especially the near future to not list America as being in turmoil, there is lots of problems here as there is every where else with differing situations and levels of severity. I hope something shifts and where the chips may fall lays the ground work for responsible good people to build something better.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm glad someone made a list because it does seem as though this is spreading. Has there been a time in history with this much civil unrest (minus world wars)? I suppose I could help to research that but if anyone knows I'm interested.

I am not crazy about the global awakening idea as an explanation for everything that happens socially - but certainly something is making people crack, and this seems as good a place as any to start. People have been acting differently for about 2-3 years now - my own observations. Not at ease - stressed. I've sensed, off an on, something impending but haven't known how to describe that feeling. Others have shared this same thing. I believe it has to do with the collective being more aware - and the collective is an extremely powerful force.

People have been growing in awareness at an accelerated speed for about 15-17 years - since widespread Internet and cell phone use took hold. Knowledge has an effect on people - it changes perceptions and behavior. There has been tension in the world forever - here and there, but it does seem as though something has shifted. If I'm wrong that's ok - I'll go back to the drawing board. I just believe there is a significant impact that is culminating now - as people more readily see the truth.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I know where you're coming from Brotherman and I agree that we're in some turmoil here in the States, but I was thinking more along the lines of Thailand or the Ukraine and the level of turmoil they are in. I have to draw the line somewhere or almost every country would be on that list. But thanks for your perspective.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

It would great to have your help on expanding the list Dianec. There were other countries I would have added, but I didn't feel like going through a bunch more websites to be sure it was current information.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I am saying that we may be where "they" are sooner then later. We are having lots of problems at home with violence, laws, economics etc pretty much the same fundamental issues they have that got Ukriane started only we are a hundred or so years late on it as we been buttfu****g everyone else since the fed res. This is my opinion though.

On another note, this is a very interesting topic you have presented, what do you think were the causes of all these conflicts? Do you believe that there may be a central similarity to this social behavior?
edit on 20-2-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

There has always been violent protests throughout history, but I get the feeling that these more recent events are somehow connected in some way.

This "Spring" protest, or revolt, or whatever it is, may be due to worldwide corruption of big governments. I like what Dianec was saying about the information age making us more aware and sensitive to what's really going (ie. with governments and politics). Perhaps it's a combination of both. People are generally mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, that seems evident.

There is always the Biblical end times prophecies if you're into that idea.

ETA: Perhaps we are starting to experience an ancient Rome type civilization collapse, but on a worldwide scale. We have a global civilization now-a-days and I don't believe that it is too big to fail, more like the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

edit on 20-2-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typos

edit on 20-2-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added last lines

edit on 20-2-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: clarified last statement

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I don't about biblical but I will say I am a proponent of the idea that evil will always destroy evil, if everyone died on earth and it came down to two greedy people they would certainly kill each other to own it all and if not then of course they would strike a "bargain"

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Here you go Brotherman, here is a Ukrainian's (jude11, he may be of Ukrainian decent I think) view on the possible connection to all these protests. His viewpoint is similar to yours concerning the States. It is from a new post. Here is the link.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ok, to end this...I am Ukrainian and right now I am so proud to be able to have that claim. I am watching intently the events unfolding and while I know it's not the same issue, it is the same issue. Government control where people have had enough.

edit on 20-2-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Dianec

People have been growing in awareness at an accelerated speed for about 15-17 years - since widespread Internet and cell phone use took hold. Knowledge has an effect on people - it changes perceptions and behavior. There has been tension in the world forever - here and there, but it does seem as though something has shifted. If I'm wrong that's ok - I'll go back to the drawing board. I just believe there is a significant impact that is culminating now - as people more readily see the truth.

profound..

I also feel this sentiment. 2001 was about that long ago. IMHO, the whole terrorist threat-9/11 garbage is to beat people to the jumping point.

TPTB saw well ahead that when people FULLY wake up and become aware the #@#@ will hit the fan.

Henry Ford knew this decades previous, a true visionary in every fashion.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Interesting topic MSB and one that has been on my mind lately.
Thank You for bringing it to the table.
The common thread (on the surface) to me is that the "common people" are starting to stand up to increasingly blatant and excessive corruption by their respective governments.
It is rather ironic that here in Thailand the lightening rod that is leading the demonstrations against the government has a "colourful business history" himself. Perhaps corruption is a matter of degree, lesser of two evils, etc., etc.
I am finding it so much more difficult to trust ANYBODY in political office!
The world needs more Mandela's and Gandhi's. Leaders that actually have the welfare of the PEOPLE at heart.

We have not reached the level of volatility here that Venezuela or Ukraine are experiencing (yet), but I fear that it could soon boil over.
With the vacuum left behind if those presently in power are removed....what then?
I can't see anybody of moral character waiting in the wings to "save" Thailand. Corruption here is HUGE and will not die quietly.
It has been both fascinating and tragic to watch things unfold here.
One can only hope that the people do not pay too high a price to gain the freedom and prosperity they crave for themselves and their families.
Be well, Stay safe.
Aft

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I will work on adding. At this point it looks like you have a comprehensive list.

I wouldn't discount Libya uprising again. They are celebrating Qaddafi's ousting yet still are not happy at a sluggish economy and feel the power hungry in there now won't be for long - as they have done it once they can do it again.

I think you covered Nigeria and all of central Africa. I guess the Nigerian economy crashed today.

TextLAGOS – Nigeria’s naira currency crashed and the fixed income and bond markets closed on news that President Goodluck Jonathan has suspended the Central Bank governor who disclosed billions of petrodollars are missing from the coffers of Africa’s biggest oil producer. Financial analysts say the naira plummeted from 163 to 169 to the U.S. dollar when Jonathan’s statement became public. The Central Bank’s fixed income and bond market stopped trading. The stock exchange remained open. Analyst Bismarck Rewane warned of “a very difficult time” for the naira and Nigerian financial market in the near-term. www.peaceau.org...

I can see this turning into the UN just taking over - and the US bidding for a place in that leading position. Then - we will see it get worse as proposals are made for a new world order. People are asking for a better form of government. They need to be educated on what that should look like. I would say get busy quick in educating, because the people will get what they ask for. It is definitely the right atmosphere for it.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aftrmidnyt

Thanks for the perspective on Thailand Aftrmidnyt.

I have an old friend over there I've been meaning to email about this and find out his take.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

What did Henry Ford say about this. I ask because I know back then as crooked as we thought they were - politicians were nowhere near as bad as they are today. If he foresaw something I'd be interested to know what it was. I'll try to look it up but he said a lot so hopefully ill figure it out if your not online

Also - if economies are suffering it is only because things have been badly managed. They are not smart enough to be leaders - cannot foresee these things and therefore have no business managing the money of the world. It all comes back to the money - resources, power, and more money. I keep saying it - it creates a disease in the mind to have that kind of control and power. It's bad stuff. All leaders should have to live in a small ranch style house and not get paid more than the average citizen. Straight up - that would solve our problems.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I cannot upload a YouTube video (really need to learn how to do that). But this looks interesting - and about right. It's for 2014 uprisings - where we can expect to see civil unrest. There is a conference up and coming with regard to what they see coming - from reps all over the world who will discuss why this is happening and what can be done. That's a separate source but I can find it again if needed.

youtu.be...

Aon's 2014 Terrorism and Political Violence Map The 2014 edition of Aon's Terrorism and Political Violence Map is available. The map measures political violence and terrorism in 200 countries and territories to help companies assess their risk levels in the following areas: Terrorism and sabotage; Strikes, riots, civil commotion and malicious damage ; Insurrection, revolution, rebellion, mutiny, coup d'etat, war and civil war.

2014 key trends: civil commotion risk outweighs terrorism risk While 2013 Map highlighted an identifiable threat of terrorism in 46% of countries, this year civil unrest largely defines the global landscape. As a result, wildfire protest stands out as a new risk for 2014.

edit on 20-2-2014 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The whole lot it aint a country problem its a global one. You have been conditioned to think its your problem

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join