It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is good sci-fi so hard to make!? (movies, tv series, etc)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

It's because of all of the CGI crap. People need to start banning it. It's just like digital music, it just zaps the soul and depth right out of it.
Just like the previews for the new movie Pompeii .. it looks like a ridiculous video game or animated cartoon.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace

It's because of all of the CGI crap. People need to start banning it. It's just like digital music, it just zaps the soul and depth right out of it.
Just like the previews for the new movie Pompeii .. it looks like a ridiculous video game or animated cartoon.

I think this is my biggest gripe (but not my only one!) ... the CGI is junk for the most part.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   

ItCameFromOuterSpace

CGI Done properly, can amaze and really help a story. CGI done poorly, can make a movie that would otherwise be halfway decent look like it was cranked out by a high school student on speed. I've seen some things done in CG that I could NOT tell were CGI. (There was a redo of the beginning scenes of the original BSG frame matched side by side with the 1978 original that no one could get right as to which was which) Conversely, I've seen older style physical animation that looked so bad that you would swear that it was put together by monkeys.

SO before you condemn all CG work, you need to understand in the right hands (mine are certainly NOT the right hands as I am only a modeler) it can be incredible, and you will not be able to tell the difference between looking at something computer generated, and something filmed by a camera. IN the wrong hands, like some of these fly by night operations, it looks horrid and should be ripped screaming from the film.

Some good examples of places you never see the CGI: NCIS, CSI, Law and Order, Bones, Person of Interest, even an oldie where the man did his OWN CG, Diagnosis Murder (Van Dyke is an accomplished Lightwave artist) but to just recap, it's all over, it's just a matter of being done correctly, or being done poorly.

ILM does it well, now that they have it down pat, when the first SW prequel came out they didn't, and it showed. But some of ILM's newer CG work is as good as, if not better than places like Digital Domain and the now defunct Rhythm and Hues, two effects houses that really made the industry... (Also places like EdenFX and Foundation Imaging which are now also gone under)

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join