It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turns Out, Science and Religion Get Along Just Fine

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If anything, this thread proved itself wrong.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
If anything, this thread proved itself wrong.

Only to those who haven't honestly tried to find a middle ground and have stuck doggedly to their long held belief/paradigms.

Such is the world we live in.

PEACE

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exactly Slayer, when I was in school I was fascinated by anthropology and evolution, I still am,as a Christian I never felt there was a problem believing in both.

If scientist can grow lungs, why couldn't there been one greater.

As science discover more and more my faith in a creator becomes stronger.
edit on 092828p://bFriday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

No. The article was very clear. It SEEMS there is a disconnect between science and god because of how vocal those who perpetuate one are. This thread proves that.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by raymundoko

The OP said RELIGION and science can coexist and many of us disagree. At the same time many of us have said Science and the concept of God/deity/creator can coexist. I hope you can understand the fundamental difference between those statements.

Religion/dogma/creation stories none of those things compliment or mesh with science so the OP is wrong.

The idea of god/deity/creator in and of itself does not detract from science but once you start adding in the scriptures where man has claimed to be writing that creator/god/deities manifesto it all goes out the window

No side can prove or disprove the validity of a god/creator/deity, but the scriptures accompanying 99.9% of them can and have been disproved.
edit on 21-2-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

raymundoko
reply to post by AfterInfinity

No. The article was very clear. It SEEMS there is a disconnect between science and god because of how vocal those who perpetuate one are. This thread proves that.

The good thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed to have them. The bad thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed to have them.
edit on 21-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Yet I am living proof that you are wrong. I am religious in that I read religious books nightly. I believe in one god who created all things and sent his son to die for our sins. I believe in the Genesis account of creation because from a scientific standpoint it isn't wrong. I am also a holder of multiple degrees and advanced degrees in atmospheric science.

Now, viewpoints of men are wrong, that is certain. Nowhere does the bible say the earth is 6000 years old. If you are looking at the genesis creation account from the perception of a humans vision from the earth itself, it is perfectly explainable with science.

1) All light is created, which probably includes all galaxies and stars.
2) The earth forms and is covered by a vast ocean. There is very likely a dense atmosphere which diffuses light
3) Dry land rises from the water. Trees and plant life begin.
4) The atmosphere is thinning. The sun, moon and stars are now visible.
5) Oceanic Life, Birds, Insects
6) Animal Life and Man
7) Rest

None of the above disagrees with science or the bible. Again, the creation account was not written by God, it was given in a vision to Moses "From the Mountain" who then dictated it. According to the bible the only thing actually written by God were the 10 commandments. Everything else was written by men. Inspired, but each book written in it's own way, relative to the authors personality.

Anti-religion people want to cling to the viewpoint that people of religion believe that the bible was written directly by god or dictated to men by god, and that the creation account is him telling how he created everything. That isn't the case.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Now, viewpoints of men are wrong, that is certain.

So then the Bible is fallible?
edit on 21-2-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

To reconcile the creation story you have had to do some mental gymnastics hence it doesn't line up with science. LL has gone in depth about that. You also claim parts are written by god and parts by man. Sorry that is a no go- it is all man made.

The only way you can reconcile your religion and science is to cherrypick some parts that come close and even then I don't buy into your interpretation of creation. If it works for you that is great but it is what it is and it isn't close to science.

If you think religion can coexist with science I invite you to try and live inside a fish for a while and make a documentary about it. Or was that just a story?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

1)Bible says the Earth was formed before the Sun.
2)Bible says the Earth was growing fruit bearing trees prior to the Sun existing.

You need to demonstrate this reconciliation otherwise you're just appealing to authority with your mention of various degrees.

1.) Bible says the universe was created long before re-creation week 6000 years ago. There was the original creation "In the beginning God created the heavens (spiritual realm) and the Earth (physical realm)." Then after that creation God says, "the Earth was rendered void of all life and full of chaos (unable to support life)" due to rebellion in the angelic realm. During re-creation week 6000 years ago, the light of the sun reached the Earth's surface for the first time in a great while; long after both were originally created.

2.) See number one.

It is important to understand God's Word says there was an original creation of the heavens (spiritual realm) and the Earth (physical realm) long before 6000 years ago. Over time, when Lucifer changed his thinking into rebellion against God, he and 1/3rd of the angelic beings began a war in the spiritual realm, the results of that war spilled out into the physical realm and ended in the destruction of all life on Earth (ELE), this was when the dinosaurs went extinct etc. There was no life remaining on Earth, then God re-created the Earth 6000 years ago with life that would be suitable for mankind to coexist with. The life forms on Earth prior to this re-creation week were unsuitable for mankind.

God Bless,

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

You're missing the point.

Its not about the bible its about believing in creation or not.
Do you think it is possible to create stars? to form a galaxy ?
Is it possible to terraform planets and life? If any of these things are possible.
it would make you a god, But regardless. You cannot have one singular being ( you have to choose this word carfully because even the word singular being can reprisent a species to many interpritations even the word entity can also mean a group)

All life is given equal chance to become a creator at some point or another. Just the odds are very slim. So there is intelligent life out there that is seeding planets. Evolution can occure by itself, But to have all the complex organisms we have here on earth including ourselves. Alot of the genetics on earth is well along way.

Say, if you had the power to distort time, Open wormholes for long distance travel. Abilty to teleport, both craft and the indivuals inside the craft can do this as well being made up of sub-atomic particles with cloaking technology. You and your species are able to shapeshift into etheral solid but undestroyable forms. The only problem for you and your species is that you cannot reproduce other than by technological evolution, By converting ones body and consiousness into sub-atomic particles.
No reproductive organs exist, as no organs are present. You and your species are a consious mass.

Wars were caused by another world feeling threatened and in some unfortunate outcome, All the non tracended of your species are destroyed along with the planet. Now your species is drifting through space, Galaxy to galaxy. Creating versions of their former selves through genetics to hopefully recolonize and repopulate. Now speculate that you arrive to where Sol is to be made. You create Sol, create Earth and create man, and that man's ultimate purpose for being created is to be the outlet of that reproduction. But nearby aliens of this galaxy take notice, and a war ensues. Infact, not only just the earth colony is under attack, but several others as well. So during all the destruction, As earth is having asteroids hurled at it.

The attacking species is chased off but not before the earth was lit up. There just wasn't enough defending at the time when it happened. Distortion of time is relative to distance, You can technically move really fast but to destroy all the asteroids falling. Not going to happen. Humans were saved in small quantity by hiding underground in a city developed by you and your species. after the invasion there was far to few humans to begin conversion. And beyond that, humans were not mentally stable after all the trauma. The constant wars from the passed, With scentient beings has subconsiously given them the idea that its okay to do it amongst humankind.

And this is why human preach about love, peace and becoming trancended beings with

You and your species appear to people at random times and throughout history
Humans spread versions of their stories of what they saw during the destruction and afterward.
People play telephone as they translate from one dead language to another and again to a nother.

And now you have the bible.
Would you still trust in Yahweh?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy

Is the Sun a star?

It clearly states all the stars are created on day 4.

It also says the 'Great Light that ruled the day' was created on day 4.

Add those up.

No it says light shown forth from the stars on the 4th day. It took 3 days of re-creating before the Earth's destroyed atmosphere cleared away the dust particles preventing the star light from reaching the surface to see.

The sun and stars were already there, they just couldn't be seen "for signs of times and seasons" prior to day 4 of re-creation week due to the state of the planet prior to it's re-creation.

God Bless,

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

JD, the first few chapters of Genesis are fascinating once one reaches a deeper understanding of them.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AnuTyr

Is it possible to terraform planets and life? If any of these things are possible.
it would make you a god, But regardless. You cannot have one singular being ( you have to choose this word carfully because even the word singular being can reprisent a species to many interpritations even the word entity can also mean a group)

You cannot have one singular being ( you have to choose this word carfully because even the word singular being can reprisent a species to many interpritations even the word entity can also mean a group)

Scripture does say let US, create man in our image.
Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:

and yes now science can do all those things
www.casavaria.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AnuTyr

You're missing the point.

All life is given equal chance to become a creator at some point or another. Just the odds are very slim. So there is intelligent life out there that is seeding planets. Evolution can occure by itself, But to have all the complex organisms we have here on earth including ourselves. Alot of the genetics on earth is well along way.

Say, if you had the power to distort time, Open wormholes for long distance travel. Abilty to teleport, both craft and the indivuals inside the craft can do this as well being made up of sub-atomic particles with cloaking technology. You and your species are able to shapeshift into etheral solid but undestroyable forms. The only problem for you and your species is that you cannot reproduce other than by technological evolution, By converting ones body and consiousness into sub-atomic particles.
No reproductive organs exist, as no organs are present. You and your species are a consious mass.

Wars were caused by another world feeling threatened and in some unfortunate outcome, All the non tracended of your species are destroyed along with the planet. Now your species is drifting through space, Galaxy to galaxy. Creating versions of their former selves through genetics to hopefully recolonize and repopulate. Now speculate that you arrive to where Sol is to be made. You create Sol, create Earth and create man, and that man's ultimate purpose for being created is to be the outlet of that reproduction. But nearby aliens of this galaxy take notice, and a war ensues. Infact, not only just the earth colony is under attack, but several others as well. So during all the destruction, As earth is having asteroids hurled at it.

The attacking species is chased off but not before the earth was lit up. There just wasn't enough defending at the time when it happened. Distortion of time is relative to distance, You can technically move really fast but to destroy all the asteroids falling. Not going to happen. Humans were saved in small quantity by hiding underground in a city developed by you and your species. after the invasion there was far to few humans to begin conversion. And beyond that, humans were not mentally stable after all the trauma. The constant wars from the passed, With scentient beings has subconsiously given them the idea that its okay to do it amongst humankind.

And this is why human preach about love, peace and becoming trancended beings with

You and your species appear to people at random times and throughout history
Humans spread versions of their stories of what they saw during the destruction and afterward.
People play telephone as they translate from one dead language to another and again to a nother.

And now you have the bible.
Would you still trust in Yahweh?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your argument, your point, or your analogy.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

Can you message me info on this line if thought?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Oh really? What mental gymnastics did I have to play?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

raymundoko

Oh really? What mental gymnastics did I have to play?

Start here

Unless you claim to be a prophet. The entire thing hinges on YOUR interpretation which as far as I know isn't backed by any authority. Did a God talk you through the bible and set things strait?

As it pertains so are you going to go set up house in a fish. If you document it i gurantee you would be famous. Your religion does have a story about that does it not? You have claimed that religion and science can get along correct.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I don't think you read any of my posts. Perspective.

The sun was the source of diffused light.

I have read them all, have you read mine?

How does that diffused light from the Sun reach the Earth on day 3 for those plants when the Sun and all the Stars were created on Day 4.

Perspective doesn't make a Sun exist. You can argue Genesis is all metaphor if you want out if this but you can't change the order Genesis states things happened with 'perspective'.

The planet without light and frozen would not have had fruit bearing trees. Notice people at the start were directly attacking my claims about Genesis and then a gradual shift happened from members in this thread towards a non-literal take on it. This is cognitive dissonance. When it doesn't agree with reason the religious start inventing explanations to reconcile it. That's you're reconciliation, and it has nothing to do with science.
edit on 21-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Quick pro quo: What is your motivation?

What's the motivation of the religious when they spread the 'good word'? They think their religion is a positive force in the World and so they have a moral/spiritual duty to spread the awareness of it. I don't think religion is a positive force in the World and I feel I have a moral duty to oppose it. It's that simple. Now the specifics of why I feel that way is so very off topic and I have been intent on keeping it on track. You can call that dodging if you want. It's not like I haven't in other threads. I don't understand how you can say I avoid dialog. What are we doing here? If anything you have. In that other thread you never even replied to my last post to you. Anyways, if there is a good question I dodged in this thread and it was on topic please point me to it.

You see yourself as so much more than a religious person who can't see through their own doctrine, without seeing through your own.

I don't think I am more than another person. This is about belief not the person. What's my doctrine?

Well, If anything, we can say I tried. More than I can say for you.

What haven't I tried? Reading religious material? Listening to religious arguments? I do both just about every day.
edit on 21-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join