It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turns Out, Science and Religion Get Along Just Fine

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ReturnofTheSonOfNothing

Truer words were never spoken. In fact of all the famous scientists who believed in religion, never made another discovery once they got to the point where they thought god came in. Isaac Newton was inches away from charting the solar system, but figured god must do that part. So it was another guy who picked up where he left off. Who figured it out.

A scientists advance in any field stops when he decides " this must be where god comes in." Look it up please. Sure religious scientists have made discoveries. But none have used their religion to make a discovery.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by raymundoko

Straggler here, & noticing how your original post & thread have gotten somewhat derailed - which is often the case around these parts...Oh, well...the more the merrier...

So back to the point of origin...hopefully I will add a tad to the thread as I appreciate your subject-matter, line of thinking & willingness to share your points of view

My Beliefs:

1. A great Creator, (God to me), designed our planet, universe, & more
2. A Creator isn't necessarily at odds with Evolution (as brief examples: free will, lack of the scientific community to pin-point specific dates, etc.)

I do hold a BS. My MS & PhD are in a technical field. I don't consider myself a scientist (in the controlled laboratory sense albeit a few occasions), but I am faculty at a University. As such, I'm required to perform research via the scientific method in controlled settings regularly. Some of this investigation is personal, some for the alphabet agencies, & some for the private sector...

I work in a fairly large department in a much larger College within the university...

Despite the technical/scientific dogmas among my colleagues, I would have to say 1/3 of them have expressed their religious views whether they are Christians, Muslims, Hindi, Buddhists, or Taoists. I would also have to say that almost another 1/3 of them are not religious but spiritual in believing in a God more personal to each...& it is not just science...Oddly, I will specify that the older professors are more apt to believe or make those expressions than the younger...

There is much more I could say on a personal level, but TMI perhaps...

Just wanted to drop in & say "Co-Existence" between science & religion can & does occur based on my observations over the years...

F&S

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I think science and a belief in a non-dogmatic God are possible but religion and its dogma do not take well to science and often see it as a threat.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

I think this is applicable.

A lot of people seem to think that a belief in a deity and belief in religion are one in the same.They seem to think you can't have one without the other at least that is how they present it. I know of a lot of people that loosely hold on to the belief in a deity but completely reject the constructs of religion. Those that have self confined themselves to those constructs will go out of their way to tell the others who have a basic belief what they are doing wrong. Submit or be punished in this world or the next mentality. There are those in the religion construct that if they found it written in their sacred texts that 2+2=9 wouldn't question it instead they would find some way to rationalize it and except that is true. That type of rationalizing can be found throughout this thread.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Thanks for the info. I guess most of the time when I envision those who were homeschooled I think about all the reports about the kids who were brought up with highly religious indoctrination.

Yeah I think that's pretty common unfortunately. Probably the norm even. Both my parents are in medicine, and both of them are non-religious. They don't think religion and science reconcile so religion was never in the house. Nothing anti-religous was ever mentioned either growing up. Not until way later in my life when I started being vocal about anti theism did they themselves share their thoughts. Which was a strongly atheistic mother and a dad that could give a crap

There are those in the religion construct that if they found it written in their sacred texts that 2+2=9

Yep. Stars being created on day 4 is a 2+2=9 and the reconciliation for this is interpreting it differently so the belief remains intact. Just like that image showed… deny observation to preserve the faith.

This post is crazy misleading. It should read the majority of Christians believe science and religion go hand in hand.

Exactly

People think science and religion go hand in hand. Science itself has something else to say.

edit on 24-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

raymundoko
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I actually agree with that statement. I also find dogmatic beliefs to be ignorant in nature. They are often the views (Usually inaccurate) of men applied as spiritual enlightenment to a sheepish group of followers. I think one can be Religious or Spiritual without being dogmatic.

That is why I am not a member of any church. Don't get me wrong, I spent 10 years regularly attending different religious services on my path to spirituality...I rejected them all.

I rejected them all, as well. I agree with your basic position on the matter.

Emmanuel Velikovsky wrote several books on religions/traditions of the world as they apply to scientific theory. He was blackballed for years by everyone from universities to publishers to the science community for his non-conforming theories (some of which have been "rediscovered" and rebranded) but he was, in my opinion, a thought provoking thinker and writer.

nexuszine.wordpress.com...

Just thought I'd throw that in here.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

en.m.wikipedia.org...

That guy is as religious as it gets and is at the forefront of cloning and stem cell research. He JUST won a nobel prize...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So in a nutshell:

A scientist has religious belief, therefore religious belief is scientific.

thou shalt not commit logical fallacy

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

And Albert Einstein failed pre algerbra. Lol

I doubt he believes in creationism.
Damn now have to make my lazy @$$ read the wiki page....err....

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Dude the wiki page says he's agnostic... That's the least religious you can be and still claim religion at all!!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Wow, I am not sure if there is anything new to add to this thread at this point, only my opinion. I have to agree with others that religions and science can not be reconciled. Religion is way to general...which religion is considered the true one and who determines that?

Since it is obvious that the Op was more focused on his own perception of Christianity, his deduction is not accurate. Only that 'his' perceived ideas' have been reconciled with science, is more likely.

I have my own beliefs, that I share at times, but I know they would not stand up to scientific scrutiny. I am all for science, for it does help me logically adjusts my perceptions. I don't involve myself in 'religion' that limits my perception to find the truth. Do I study various beliefs? Most definitely! I find them highly fascinating when I understand the history of perceived interpretations of mankind throughout the ages and cultures.

Perhaps, one day, I shall write my own interpretation and will be seen as a prophet or enlightened being, in the future. Certainly, my followers will figure out what is truth on their own. Mankind is so good at filling in the missing links to match their current perspective!

Whether you accept my perspective or not, I am sure many will find a way to twist it into their own idea or perspective. We all, including myself, can be quite creative!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

ArtemisE

Dude the wiki page says he's agnostic... That's the least religious you can be and still claim religion at all!!!!!

Skip to 8:40 to hear it from his lips

He doesn't appear religious. At all.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Yeah and read one more sentence..

"I'm what you might call liberal minded. I'm not a Roman Catholic. I'm a Christian, of the Church of England."

He agrees you can never prove God does or does not exist. But he has regularly told interviewers that he is a Christian.
edit on 24-2-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

No. Artemis said a scientist can't make progress if they are religious. So I linked a guy who proves that a fallacy.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Well I wouldn't say a religious person cannot make progress as a scientist, but I would say the progress that the religious person is making scientifically is not the result of religion.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

It's on the wiki. I quoted it. He is a christian.

www.ewtn.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I meant like an interview. Since you said he talks about it often. No biggie. It doesn't really matter. Like I said the scientist bit is not relevant unless they employed the scientific method towards their religious beliefs.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Dirty little secret of science. The expansion of the universe, the big bang, Hubble's constant...

All proposed by a priest.

The most important theory in astro physics was discovered because of priest.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

It was also Christians who caused science to take a drastic turn for the worse in the first place ... the tragic tale of Hypatia comes to mind. The library of Alexandria was so important to science that we were literally driven into a 'dark age' of intelligence.

My thoughts on the whole religion and science coinciding with one another is quite negative.
I have the mindset that in order for one to grasp the natural world to it's fullest you need to throw out any ideas that there isn't an answer for everything. Science is the pursuit to explain the natural universe through experimentation, to confirm what we can comprehend as a whole an come to a conclusion of what is fact.
And the problem isn't that there could be a deity, the problem is people come to the conclusion WAY to easy, and start publishing propaganda style books, fliers, newspapers, websites, etc. trying to explain something that has literally ZERO evidence to this day.
Saying there is a God or a higher power is very easy to come to terms with. Coming to terms that there isn't or might not be; i can tell you, a lot of people have a hard time grasping such a concept. Hell, even Steven Hawking tried to prove there was a God, and he later published a book saying there wasn't!

All I ask for is the evidence.
But honestly. Evolution throws the evidence out of a deity out of the water. It incorporates all fields of science beyond biology, and it goes against a designer.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

No I said a scientist quits making discoveries once he decides that what he can't explain is where god starts effecting things. Then they stop looking for the answer and assume they can't find it because whatever is divinely inspired. I'm assuming you misunderstood me and weren't trying to twist my words....

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join