It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am An American Prisoner

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
LoL poor American cant enter in Canada because of a DUI. Hey i know ppl here in Canada who cant enter the US for the same reason ....

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

StoutBroux
Why don't you get an expungment of your record?

I really don't think you can just ask for something to be taken off your criminal record unless it was a mistake or you were exonerated. I could be wrong, but if someone could do that -- wouldn't everyone do that?

here ya go.

Expungement

In the common law legal system, an expungement proceeding is a type of lawsuit in which a first time offender of a prior criminal conviction seeks that the records of that earlier process be sealed, thereby making the records unavailable through the state or Federal repositories. If successful, the records are said to be "expunged". Black's Law Dictionary defines "expungement of record" as the "Process by which record of criminal conviction is destroyed or sealed from the state or Federal repository."[1] While expungement deals with an underlying criminal record, it is a civil action in which the subject is the petitioner or plaintiff asking a court to declare that the records be expunged.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I have a friend who came up against this a few years back.

He and his wife both had 30 years of sobriety at the time and were traveling to Canada to attend a Worldwide International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Bad choice of location that turned out to be.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

You can go again. I just lost the page were I was explaining.. Aghh!

You can write to the Prime Minister. Be honest and explain your visit in detail.

I was denied to enter Canada because of a DUI, but since I wrote to the PM an was allowed I have been many times for work and leisure.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

It does not fit the crime. I remember reading about a Canadian woman that was denyed entry to the US because she had sought psychiatric help for severe depression a number of years before. Why the US authorities would even have access to her confidential medical records is a good question....but for another thread.

I suggest that you look into getting a legal pardon. It can be done although it is expensive and time consuming. Worth it though if you wanna come to Canada. A friend of mine that got married last year had to get one for a DUI so he could leave the country to honeymoon in Cuba.

Good Luck.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

i wonder how they figured that out.
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

In Canada...we do not have a death penalty. None of us trust the government enough to give them the power of life and death. Because of that very strongly heald belief....Canada won't extradite if you could be put to death. Thats how we came up with that.

But I fail to see what that has to do with the OP being denied entry to Canada for a DUI.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
you are complaining you can't go to Canada because of a DUI (a MAJOR CRIME)? well guess what? you can't get into the USA with ANY CRIMINAL RECORD no matter how MINOR an infraction it might be or how long ago it occurred (and i think it is the SAME for Canada). so what exactly are you complaining about, how it is unfair that a country treats others just like your country does?

i know people from a couple countries that can't even FLY THROUGH the US because of it. one lady had to spend SEVERAL DAYS and lots of cash flying all over the world to return home after her mother DIED because of this (it would have been under a day's flying had she been allowed to fly THROUGH the US.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Mon1k3r
I tried to go to Canada a few months back and I was denied entry because I had gotten a DUI 8 years ago.

Does the punishment of restriction of freedom of movement really fit the crime?

You can go nearly anywhere in the world EXCEPT Canada and that makes you an "American prisoner"??? That's a pretty wide-ranging jail cell you got there, fella. You must just feel smothered for lack of space.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

the simple fact that canada, will keep one type of criminal from paying his dues, but won't let someone who has already paid his, into the country.

which is worse, a killer or a drunk driver that hasn't killed?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
And yet Canada let George W. Bush in and he had a DUI. Then, those Canadians had the nerve to let him come back when he could have faced the death penalty for treason and war crimes.

Thanks a lot, Canada.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

generik
you are complaining you can't go to Canada because of a DUI (a MAJOR CRIME)? well guess what? you can't get into the USA with ANY CRIMINAL RECORD no matter how MINOR an infraction it might be or how long ago it occurred (and i think it is the SAME for Canada). so what exactly are you complaining about, how it is unfair that a country treats others just like your country does?

i know people from a couple countries that can't even FLY THROUGH the US because of it. one lady had to spend SEVERAL DAYS and lots of cash flying all over the world to return home after her mother DIED because of this (it would have been under a day's flying had she been allowed to fly THROUGH the US.

that's not a exactly true.

most first time DUI's are misdemeanor, and not considered a felony unless there is a death or injury from it. in some states even the second is the same, the thrid is where they become a felony. not all states are the same. they don't become a "( Major Crime)" until the thrid conviction. now this is not chapter and verse need to check each state.

and as far as entering the U.S.

The U.S. does not deny entry to persons with a "Driving Under the Influence" (DUI) conviction, although if there are multiple convictions for this and or other misdemeanors, you could be denied entry.
Generally, any convictions for drug possession can result in denial of entry. If the conviction was long ago, you might contact the U.S. Embassy, Office of Consular Affairs in your country to obtain a waiver. Other misdemeanors may result in denial if they were recent.

from Admission to the U.S. with either a misdemeanor or criminal record? U.S. Customs and Border Protection

edit on 20-2-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

will keep one type of criminal from paying his dues

Well....I can tell you that they do pay their debt to society...by spending 25 years in prison. It's not like we just let them go.

but won't let someone who has already paid his, into the country.

If he obtains a pardon he will be allowed into Canada. I'll admit it a stupid law....but thats just the way it is.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Your lucky thats all you got.

Every crime is a life sentence. Get used to it the laws are only getting more draconian. Pretty soon they will torture you in a dungeon for stealing candy bars.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   

deadcalm

will keep one type of criminal from paying his dues

Well....I can tell you that they do pay their debt to society...by spending 25 years in prison. It's not like we just let them go.

but won't let someone who has already paid his, into the country.

If he obtains a pardon he will be allowed into Canada. I'll admit it a stupid law....but thats just the way it is.

if you go back and look at the post i made i said may face the death penalty, and the quote i posted says suspect. there is a chance that the person maybe found innocent.

so if someone is just a suspect and is in canada, and the U.S. attorney or what ever DA refuses to remove the death penalty from the table. canada just puts someone who has not been convicted of a crime or commited a crime in canada in jail. even if a person was tried in absentia, that is not the due he has been sentenced to pay.

if that's a law that's is the stupid law. even more stupid than not letting someone in for a old DUI conviction.

if you take someones life in malice, you deserve to die. not be fed and housed for the rest of your life or even the better part of it.
now don't misunderstand me, i feel that there shouldn't be any doubt, not just beyond a reasonable doubt, before someone is sentenced to death. i mean multiple wittiness's, smoking gun, video, pictures,and in some instances and circumstances dna, there could any number of reasons if a person knows someone for their dna to be at a crime scene.

i could go on and on about this, but this is about DUI convictions and going to canada.

at least we agree, that not letting someone in becuase of a DUI is stupid.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Take a cruise ship. No worries

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   

hounddoghowlie

generik

that's not a exactly true.

most first time DUI's are misdemeanor, and not considered a felony unless there is a death or injury from it. in some states even the second is the same, the thrid is where they become a felony. not all states are the same. they don't become a "( Major Crime)" until the thrid conviction. now this is not chapter and verse need to check each state.

and as far as entering the U.S.

The U.S. does not deny entry to persons with a "Driving Under the Influence" (DUI) conviction, although if there are multiple convictions for this and or other misdemeanors, you could be denied entry.
Generally, any convictions for drug possession can result in denial of entry. If the conviction was long ago, you might contact the U.S. Embassy, Office of Consular Affairs in your country to obtain a waiver. Other misdemeanors may result in denial if they were recent.

from Admission to the U.S. with either a misdemeanor or criminal record? U.S. Customs and Border Protection

interesting that it says that, since i know a few people from Canada with first time DUI's, that are not let into the US because of their "criminal record". likewise i also know people from Canada who for silly things like shoplifting, trespassing, minor theft (of things worth a couple bucks), one poor soul who got charged as a teen for a fight he didn't start nor could avoid, many years in the past (even as teenagers and now in 40's) that have also been denied entry into the US due to their criminal records. not to mention the case listed earlier where a Canadian was denied entry to the US as she had gotten "mental" help in the past. in fact the MOST picky place to try to get into is the USA. i know people that can't even get into the US with NO CRIMINAL RECORD OR ANYTHING, THEY ARE JUST TOLD BASICALLY "NOPE YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE".

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

i can't tell you why some of the things you say have happened , happened.
i will say that i think a lot of the time way the laws are applied in this country, has to do with the head bureaucrat of the agency that is interpreting the law and the policies they set.

that's one reason why i say not only should we have term limits for politicians, but the bureaucrats should have to have a job proficiency evaluation every years done by normal everyday citizens who are picked at random, not elected politicians. sort like they do juries.

edit on 21-2-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

actually it is a WELL KNOWN FACT in Canada that if you have ANY CRIMINAL RECORD you will NOT be allowed to ENTER the US. no matter what the law says, i have NEVER heard of anyone who is not famous or rich with any criminal record to be let in, until a pardon is obtained.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

there is a chance that the person maybe found innocent.

Yes and there is also a chance that the person would be put to death. I'm not sure what you don't understand here....Canadians do not believe that killing someone as a punishment is civil nor humane. If there is a chance that extraditing someone will end in their death....we won't do it.

if you take someones life in malice, you deserve to die.

Well, Canadians disagree. It's our country and we will do what we feel is right.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

generik
well guess what? you can't get into the USA with ANY CRIMINAL RECORD no matter how MINOR an infraction it might be or how long ago it occurred (and i think it is the SAME for Canada).

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Unless of course you count the half million a year entering the US illegally. No idea what they've done.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join