It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Am An American Prisoner

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I tried to go to Canada a few months back and I was denied entry because I had gotten a DUI 8 years ago.

I have a clean slate in Canada, the last time I was there I was a child, but I cannot leave America because of a crime I committed here almost a decade ago. Now, it seems logical that Canada, a sovereign country, could choose who to let in and not to let in, and I guess they don't even really need a reason, but now I'm literally stuck in this country because of a misdemeanor DUI.

Does the punishment of restriction of freedom of movement really fit the crime?

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

I'll bet they let you into Mexico!

edit on 20-2-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

What are the details of you not being able to enter Canada? Do you have a passport? Who denied you entry?
Thanks

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

You need to talk with a lawyer about what is the status of limitation involving DUIs and abroad traveling, I never heard of somebody been restricted from traveling abroad due to a DUI. If you pay your debt to society I see why you can not, but if you have any outstanding balances or warrants I guess that is another story.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Canada sets the rules for entry. It's Canadian law keeping you out. I've known people with DUIs that have gone all over the world, but can't step foot in Canada.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My old man had problems with Canada over a DUI from over 30 years ago. He paid $500 and they let him enter. The Canadians classify DUI's differently. From what I understand, a DUI in Canada is more like a felony here in the USA.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The US gov't doesn't care if you go abroad with a previous DUI. The country you're going to is a different story.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Canada is very strict when it comes to any criminal cases in the USA.
You can probably travel to most other countries though.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

Just hop the boarder. I mean Canadians are a lot nicer than Americans so they'll probably give you a free house and free health care as well as work.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Why don't you get an expungment of your record?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Got it, I never meet anybody that has been stop from entering into another country due to a DUI, but is good to know that Canada have its own rules.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

It creates problems for a lot of truck drivers with companies that go into Canada.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I imagine is only American truck drives because those coming from mexico have not records within the US.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Most Mexican truck companies don't go that far. But it would apply to them too. Canadian authorities would still run background checks.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I hear ya man. You're kind of stuck to their whims. Hopefully you didn't have a whole vacation planned and found yourself assed out because of it. I've known people with felony dui get in by just paying a fee, $300 I think, and others be turned away with lesser. I think they just make it up as they go. It really sucks that they can do that. I'm glad I live in MN, that's about as Canadia as I'm ever going to get.

Who knows, write your governor and see if he'll pardon you. Might work.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

funny that they want allow someone with a dui in, but will not extradite some one who may face a death sentence for murder.
i wonder how they figured that out.

Death penalty: Many countries, such as Australia, Canada, Macao,[4] New Zealand, South Africa, and most European nations except Belarus,[5] will not allow extradition if the death penalty may be imposed on the suspect unless they are assured that the death sentence will not be passed or carried out.

Extradition

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

You should feel lucky that the U.S. lets anyone in no matter what they have done or you would be country less.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mon1k3r

You need to apply for a pardon. A notary or lawyer can get this started or you can do yourself with the right forms. Since 9-11 it's hard to travel. I can't get into the states until I get some ID they need now.

Mexico is easy to get into.
edit on 20-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

StoutBroux

I really don't think you can just ask for something to be taken off your criminal record unless it was a mistake or you were exonerated. I could be wrong, but if someone could do that -- wouldn't everyone do that?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

MystikMushroom

StoutBroux

I really don't think you can just ask for something to be taken off your criminal record unless it was a mistake or you were exonerated. I could be wrong, but if someone could do that -- wouldn't everyone do that?

If it was a juvenile offence you can I think.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join