It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: AZ Senate Passes 'Right to Discriminate' Bill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Christians were also taught that slavery was ok, you can put those that work on the sabbath to death. I could give other examples as I am sure you are aware, but the point is that these draconian teachings are not acceptable in today's civilised society.

How many of your friends or family have you put to death for working on a Sunday or for wearing mixed fibres?

The church "slaughtered" woman centuries ago, accusing them of being witches, and all in the name of their religion as it was "taught" to them. Do you see where I am going with this? This hold up on homosexuality is the last draconian dogma being dispelled. 

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by flammadraco

So deny Christians their 1st Amendment Rights.

Discriminate against Christians and their beliefs.

That is acceptable now.

Society has enabled us to legally discriminate and deny rights.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Read my last post again. I gave you examples of Christian Dogma that is no longer acceptable in today's society, unless you think people working on a sabbath should be put to death, then you have to agree that previous Christian dogma is abhorrent and that said religious rights do not supersede anyone's human right.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Can you source for me the last time someone was put to death legally working the Sabbath?

I'd be curious to find out.

Was there even a Constitution that protected religious freedoms then?
edit on 21-2-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The problem is that for centuries, Christians thought and were taught that homosexuality was wrong.

Now society is saying that it isn't wrong. So the Christians are being forced to change.

No one is stopping Christians from practicing their religion as they see fit. They are just being barred from treating some of their customers differently than others based on their protected status under civil secular law. No where does the Bible require Christians to persecute others, whose life style, religions or philosophies differ from their own.

Christianity and Christian attitudes evolve. No one is saying that people can't hold their religious biases. They just can't treat their customers differently based on those biases. They can still hate all they like, they just can't legally project that hate onto their customers in a way that is deemed illegally discriminatory.

For centuries Christians thought that women were inferior and weren't allowed to own property or vote. Blacks and indigenous were considered sub-human by Christians, and it wasn't until the mid 1500's that the Pope issued an edict stating that blacks and indigenous people were worthy of Christian salvation, but still suitable for slavery.

Christians were up in arms when the Supreme Court of US ruled that single women had the legal right to birth control, thus legalizing fornication and adultery.

Many Christians are still against mixed marriages, birth control for married women, some still think that women should subject themselves to their husbands authority, and have an obligation to stay home and not work.

Do Christians have the legal right to persecute, through their businesses practices, those who exercise their legal rights, albeit objectionable to some Christians?

I don't think they do.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

Boo hoo.And why the hell do people throw the term 'bigot' around so much when it comes to someones differing views?

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with discrimination as it is perfectly healthy, unlike what the powers that be would have you believe.
edit on 21/2/14 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

There are 15 verses in the Christain Bible that states that anyone working on a Sabbath shall be put to death, here's one example;

Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

Matthew 12:11-12

With that in mind, do you find it acceptable as a Christian that people should be executed for working on a Sunday?

If your answer is no and like the rest of society you find this teaching abhorrent, then surely your religious opinion on gay people is also flawed.

edit on 21.2.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

flammadraco
reply to post by beezzer

There are 15 verses in the Christain Bible that states that anyone working on a Sabbath shall be put to death, here's one example;

Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death.

Matthew 12:11-12

With that in mind, do you find it acceptable as a Christian that people should be executed for working on a Sunday?

If your answer is no and like the rest of society you find this teaching abhorrent, then surely your religious opinion on gay people is also flawed.

I'm asking when was the last time someone actually died.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

You are denying Christians to operate their place of business in a faith-based manner.

But, once again, I can only reiterate that it is okay now to discriminate against a certain group based on their beliefs.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Who knows when the last person was put to death for working on a Sunday, probably at the same time the Christian Church put woman to death for being witches. The point I was making and that you are trying to avoid, this was taught to Christians in the same way as the bible discriminates against the LGBT today.

How can you only practice some of your religious dogma and not all of it? The same book you are using to discriminate today is the same book that said that people should be put to death for working on a Sunday.

Just answer this one question Beezer, the bible states that a person should be put to death for working on a Sunday 15 times. In comparison the bible only mentions homosexuality 6 times. How can Christians work on a Sunday and yet condem the LGBT community? Does this mean that Christian Business Owners can refuse to serve people who work on a Sunday?

You cannot cherry pick parts of your holy book that suit you.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

flammadraco
reply to post by beezzer

Who knows when the last person was put to death for working on a Sunday, probably at the same time the Christian Church put woman to death for being witches. The point I was making and that you are trying to avoid, this was taught to Christians in the same way as the bible discriminates against the LGBT today.

How can you only practice some of your religious dogma and not all of it? The same book you are using to discriminate today is the same book that said that people should be put to death for working on a Sunday.

Just answer this one question Beezer, the bible states that a person should be put to death for working on a Sunday 15 times. In comparison the bible only mentions homosexuality 6 times. How can Christians work on a Sunday and yet condem the LGBT community? Does this mean that Christian Business Owners can refuse to serve people who work on a Sunday?

You cannot cheery pick parts of your holy book that suit you.

I'm not going by the bible at all.

I'm using the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights as my source.

Religious freedom is a constitutionally protected right.

Um. . . well. . . . it used to be. . . . .

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You are denying Christians to operate their place of business in a faith-based manner.

How is it a "faith based manner" to refuse service to, or to charge more, or give a lesser product for the same price, etc., etc.? Where is it written, where is the Christian doctrine that commands Christians to persecute or discriminate against their secular business customers?

Is it a normal Christian faith based practice to eject certain sinners from church pews? Require certain sinners to pay more than 10% tithes in order to be in good standing?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Now your moving the goal posts, you said that you had a right to discriminate against gay people as your bible has taught you to do so. I asked you a simple question referring to the 15 times your holy book calls for people to be "executed" that work on a Sunday and you have no answer.

Relgious beliefs do not supersede a persons human rights.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

flammadraco
reply to post by beezzer

Now your moving the goal posts, you said that you had a right to discriminate against gay people as your bible has taught you to do so. I asked you a simple question referring to the 15 times your holy book calls for people to be "executed" that work on a Sunday and you have no answer.

That's because I have yet to find a single case where that has occurred.

Relgious beliefs do not supersede a persons human rights.

So just trash the 1st Amendment then?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

It's up to the business owner to determine cost for their service. And if it is a faith-based business, then it caters to a specific clientele.

But it's okay now.

You are free to discriminate against people based on what they believe in.

It is okay to deny them their rights to operate a faith-based business as they see fit.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The right to be free from religion means that a person has the freedom not to belong to any religion or religious organisation. 

That being said a person has the right not to be affected by your religious beliefs and discrimination by Christians is not permitted by the first amendment.

The first amendment actually forbids government to pass laws regarding religion which in fact Arizona has now done.   

The first amendment gives you the right to practice your relgion freedom from religion means being "free from" any government imposition of religion. Freedom from religion does not mean being free from seeing churches, but it does mean being free from churches getting governing financing; it doesn't mean being free from encountering people handing out religious tracts on a street corner, but it does mean being free from government-sponsored religious tracts; it doesn't mean being free from hearing religious discussions at work, but it does mean being free from religion being a condition of employment, hiring, firing, or one's status in the political community. 

So tell me Beezer, where in the US constitution or the bible does it give Christians the right to discriminate against anybody? 

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Are you actually saying that your relgious beliefs supersede human rights?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Is this "Law" only for "Faith Based Business"? or are we talking about an IHOP run by an owner who is a Christian?

constitution.laws.com...

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is a part of the Bill of Rights and the amendment which disables an entity or individual from practicing or enforcing a religious viewpoint which infringes on the freedom of speech, the right peaceable assemble, the freedom of the press, or which prohibits the petitioning for a governmental evaluation of grievances. -

so how is telling something they can't discriminate violating this?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The Constitution also guarantees freedom of expression. To express for themselves the right to live and express their faith.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

flammadraco
reply to post by beezzer

Are you actually saying that your relgious beliefs supersede human rights?

Are you saying that human rights supercede religious- oh wait, you are. . . . .

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join