It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: AZ Senate Passes 'Right to Discriminate' Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

buster2010

olaru12
reply to post by blupblup

If the Bible and Christianity is going to be the bench mark for this bill; that make Arizona wide open for all sorts of fun and games.

Yeehawwww..........

Wer'e talkin concubines here!!!

Not to mention you can stone your kid for mouthing off and own slaves again. And if you see a person working on Sunday you have the right to kill him.

And anyone wearing mixed fibres can be put to death. My word, no one going to be left in the town!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by buster2010

Under the provisions of the law, if it's signed by Brewer, there will be no legal distinction between a person, a business and/or a church.

[/quote

Sweet....

I'm gonna set up shop in Arizona because churches don't pay taxes. Now that I can incorporate MYSELF as just about anything I want.

Holy Church of Breast examination and Taco's to go.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
this is getting crazy with the edits.
edit on 20-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Not at all in the UK so no worries there at all.... no politician would or does ever mention God or religion in the UK.
edit on 20/2/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

Thank God! (pun intended)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Metallicus
Sorry to say that the Constitution specifically protects the right of people to freely practice their religion and it is protected from Government interference. There is no similar constitutional protection for LGBT people as of right now.

Maybe there should be an amendment, but I still don't think anyone should be FORCED to do something by our Government. It's a tough call but, I would support a person's right to NOT participate in something to which they were morally opposed.

Actually they are a protected class under sex discrimination in the civil rights act.

Only people who want to keep old white men the ruling class claim that businesses shouldnt' be told what to do. Government regulates business....period.

You don't want hazmats dropped on your kids school, you don't want to be served bad food, you don't sub par contractors putting together an unsafe building.

Funny how the only regulation that people mention that the government should butt out of is the right to discriminate. Says a lot about them.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
So it is safe to assume then that many here would rather negate religious freedoms and inhibit, deny, people to live their faith.

M'okay. So long 1st Amendment I suppose.

I guess we could start placing identifying arm bands on Christians or something, maybe help in identifying who is "one of those religious" folks.

Might make it easier for those who treat religious people as haters and bigots. Easier to identify them that way.

Just keep it in your homes. Don't parade your religious stuff in everyone's face! Just keep it behind closed doors. I know religion may disgust many of you so to protect you all from the disgusting portrayal of religion, we should maybe put all the religious people in camps or groups where they can be among their own kind.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

One right ends where another begins. Because of your religious convictions, you think that the religious should have much more protection and freedoms than other rights. We get it. But sorry, you don't get to be a special protected class.

And it doesn't say much about your religion if that is the only right that concerns you, everyone else be damned.

And please tell me where in the bible does it say that Christian business owners should not do business with homosexuals?

be careful what you wish for. This applies to all religions, not just Christianity. So that means someone can open a large business denying entry to any Christians.
edit on 20-2-2014 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Just keep it in your homes. Don't parade your religious stuff in everyone's face! Just keep it behind closed doors. I know religion may disgust many of you so to protect you all from the disgusting portrayal of religion, we should maybe put all the religious people in camps or groups where they can be among their own kind.

Right. Because that's what's about to happen to Christians in Arizona if this bill doesn't get signed by the governor, Christians are in danger of being put into camps!

So it is safe to assume then that many here would rather negate religious freedoms and inhibit, deny, people to live their faith.

Your religious freedoms don't allow you to break secular law. For example, you can't force your 12 year old to marry someone for religious pretenses. You can't murder your wife for adultery or stone your kid for sneaking out and taking the car on a joy ride even though the Bible says you can.

Actually, the Bible advises you to obey the laws of the land. In this case, the law of the land asks everyone to be tolerant and treat each other with equal respect, a "Do unto others" kind of civil rights law, that says public businesses "Don't discriminate".

Romans 13:1
Obey the government, for God is the one who put it there. All governments have been placed in power by God. 2 So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow. 3 For the authorities do not frighten people who are doing right, but they frighten those who do wrong. So do what they say, and you will get along well. 4 The authorities are sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for you will be punished. The authorities are established by God for that very purpose, to punish those who do wrong. 5 So you must obey the government for two reasons: to keep from being punished and to keep a clear conscience. 6 Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid so they can keep on doing the work God intended them to do. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and import duties, and give respect and honor to all to whom it is due.

(post by nixie_nox removed for a manners violation)
(post by windword removed for a manners violation)
(post by nixie_nox removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
You all just don't get it.

Sad, really.

What I just wrote above, is the same thing people had been saying about gay people for centuries.

But now that equality extends to gays and that discrimination is against the law towards homosexuality, it's okay to turn the tables and discriminate against another group.

Christians.

I would have imagined that homosexual people would stand with and defend Christians because as a group, homosexuals have been discriminated against far longer than any class, race, type of people.

I would have hoped that through their centuries of being persecuted, they would understand the ugly approach to discrimination and that they would stand with Christians. Even if they don't agree with the ideology, being against bias and discrimination and bigotry is something they should all be behind.

But you folks just don't get it.

It's times like this that I honestly question my membership here.

*shakes head*

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

While you are correct about the many stupid and/or ignorant folks in AZ, the same can be said about everywhere on Earth. The AZ idiots are simply more vocal and have the smarter people laying low.

I have often thought of moving to more enlightened realms, but Southern AZ is nothing like the Phoenix area and the more rural locations... there are some very intelligent, engaged people down here and a thriving arts and academic community. And running away cedes the land to the idiots.

I certainly wish education got more funding, though, in general. AZ has some of the best schools, but it has some of the worst, too. A land of extremes in many ways... but there is no arguing that it is advertising itself as a bigoted, hick filled wasteland and the state legislature is laughable... if it weren't the state legislative body, that is.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

beezzer

It's times like this that I honestly question my membership here.

*shakes head* [/quote

Now you know how it feels to be marginalized, discounted, and insulted when the phrase "people like you" is used.

This is exactly what the Christian Right wants to do in Arizona.

edit on 20-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

This. One hundred times this.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Baddogma
reply to post by nixie_nox

While you are correct about the many stupid and/or ignorant folks in AZ, the same can be said about everywhere on Earth. The AZ idiots are simply more vocal and have the smarter people laying low.

I have often thought of moving to more enlightened realms, but Southern AZ is nothing like the Phoenix area and the more rural locations... there are some very intelligent, engaged people down here and a thriving arts and academic community. And running away cedes the land to the idiots.

I certainly wish education got more funding, though, in general. AZ has some of the best schools, but it has some of the worst, too. A land of extremes in many ways... but there is no arguing that it is advertising itself as a bigoted, hick filled wasteland and the state legislature is laughable... if it weren't the state legislative body, that is.

No, you are right. In fact one of the smartest friends I have is from Phoenix. But he readily admits he is an exception.

I loved Carefree and Sedona. And Tombstone is a really neat place. I just didn't have much love for the people of Phoenix.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

beezzer

M'okay. So long 1st Amendment I suppose.

I guess we could start placing identifying arm bands on Christians or something, maybe help in identifying who is "one of those religious" folks.

Might make it easier for those who treat religious people as haters and bigots. Easier to identify them that way.

Religion belong in a persons home and their place of worship not in a business. Any business that wants to limit what customers can shop there has a idiot for an owner. A person opens a business to make money not make sure others follow their religion.

Didn't you forget crying there will be another holocaust if we stop people from forcing their religion laws on everyone. Seeing how you already made the armband and camp reference.
edit on 20-2-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
So it's not about real equality and freedoms for all, is it.

It's about, "Pay-backs a bitch!".

I'm disgusted, now.
edit on 20-2-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

beezzer

I'm disgusted, now.

Yes it is about equality and freedoms. What you cannot get through your head is businesses have no rights. Rights are for people not property.
edit on 20-2-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What? What are you talking about? "Equal rights" is some kind of payback?? For what? Is this new AZ law payback too?

I'm disgusted, now.

Me too!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join