It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: AZ Senate Passes 'Right to Discriminate' Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I had noticed the big thread Congrats, Bigots... Kansas Has Your Back! a few days back and couldn't believe how a state could propose such lunacy. Last night before I went to bed this story came across my feed...

source

This afternoon, on a party-line 17-13 vote, Republicans in the Arizona Senate bucked the national trend and gave final approval to SB 1062, a GOP-led bill that would create a special "right" to discriminate against LGBT people on the basis of religion.

Arizona Daily Star

"This bill is not about discrimination" he said "It's about preventing discrimination against people who are clearly living out their faith"

Senate Bill 1062

The local democrats are responding

“SB 1062 permits discrimination under the guise of religious freedom. With the express consent of Republicans in this Legislature, many Arizonans will find themselves members of a separate and unequal class under this law because of their sexual orientation,” said Senate Democratic Leader Anna Tovar. “This bill may also open the door to discriminate based on race, familial status, religion, sex, national origin, age or disability.”

I wonder if Jan Brewer will actually sign this bill into law? What's interesting is this law could actually works both ways.

Additional reading:
AZCentral - Arizona Senate OKs bill boosting service refusal
AZ Senate GOP Pass Wide-Sweeping Religious License To Discriminate Against Gays
Arizona Senate Passes Bill Allowing Religious-Based Discrimination

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Well, from what I understand, the bases of this argument is something like the following.

The bible clearly has verses that are anti-LGBT, So than does that mean reading those aloud in a public space, such as a church, now equal hate speech? (or if not allowing a member of such group to participate as well) etc.

IF it does, than protections are needed for freedom of speech and religion purposes.

Much like some schedule one narcotics are allowed in the US for religious purposes, so to can other laws be waived for them.

edit on 20-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Here are some of my thoughts on the whole discrimination bull...its all bull...discrimination is everywhere. You want PC? lets call out the NBA...not enough white players. The blacks bitch if a white coach is hired because not enough blacks were interviewed.

Really?

Don't see anybody bitching about a black wide receiver hired....or a black point guard... or are professional sports teams exempt from racial quotas?

If you punch somebody in the face you are guilty of a crime. Should it be worse if the victim happens to be gay?

Personally I think the law is justified. I think it is back dooring to protect bussiness owners from hiring a bunch of burka wearing people. Call me racist, but it is not about the gays, itsabout the muslims wearing burkas in your bakery

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is the first I've heard on this, but I've got to say that I support it.

According to its premise, it protects our Constitutional Right to be free from government influence in our decisions about religion and our very right to pursuit happiness. When government steps in to dictate what we 'must' accept, this clearly is an infringement.

For example, I am a Conservative, but I am absolutely not religious. As a conservative, I personally disagree with the unnaturalness of same-sex relationships. While I do not bring harm, taunt, or prevent gays from their liberties, Government does NOT have the (Constitutional) Right to force me to 'like it'.

So yes. Every human has the 'right' to discriminate. Discrimination does not constitute violence toward individuals. It simply means "I don't like it".

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

QueenofSpades

So yes. Every human has the 'right' to discriminate. Discrimination does not constitute violence toward individuals. It simply means "I don't like it".

Great, now I can discriminate against the handicapped because I can claim my personal religion abhors wheelchairs, crutches, guide dogs and sign language. I know for a fact my religion abhors morons.

The bible has some discriminatory verses against women. Does that now mean I can now disregard their rights as well?

1 Timothy 2:11-14 - Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.
Genesis 3:16 - Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire [shall be] to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

The Bible also condones slavery! I could use a couple of those to clean up around here and Mexicans are foreigners.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

edit on 20-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

I'm shocked at some of the comments on this thread supporting this bill. What happens when Atheist and Deism's business owners refuse to serve Christian's and other religious folks. What will happen if a rich Jewish businessman buys a load of land and builds houses just for other Jewish people, and refuses to sell homes to Christian's.

You reap what you sew, and this kind of bill will be the beginning to the end of Christianity in the US. This bill proves that certain aspects of Christianity is no different to radical Islam. 

I'm quite glad to see that in the EU, Denmark has banned animals being killed using Kosher and Halal methods. The Government actually said that the rights of the animal supersede the religious rights and yet in the US it's the rights of the religious folks that supersedes everyone else's.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Exactly mate, the bible pretty much attacks and denounces everyone.

Should we kill children for backchat or who curse their parents? The Bible says we should.

Leviticus 20:9

For anyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death; he has cursed his father or his mother; his blood is upon him.

Proverbs 20:20 ESV
If one curses his father or his mother, his lamp will be put out in utter darkness.

How about a rape victim?

apparently they should be killed... but only if they are engaged...

Deuteronomy 22:23

If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;

Deuteronomy 22:24

Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you.

Blasphemy.... yep, stoned to death.

Leviticus 24:14

Bring forth him that hath cursed without the camp; and let all that heard him lay their hands upon his head, and let all the congregation stone him.

Leviticus 24:15

And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying, Whosoever curseth his God shall bear his sin.

Leviticus 24:16

And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death.

All of the following can have you "cut off from one's people" or exiled.

A male who is not circumcised. (Genesis 17:14)
Eating leavened bread during the Feast of Unleavened Bread. (Exodus 12:15)
Manufacturing anointing oil. (Exodus 30:33
Engaging in ritual animal sacrifices other than at the temple. (Leviticus 17:1-9)
Sexual activity with a woman who is menstruating: (Leviticus 20:18)
Consuming blood: This would presumably include eating black pudding or blood soup. Also see above. (Leviticus 17:10).
Eating peace offerings while ritually unclean: (Leviticus 7:20)
Waiting too long before consuming sacrifices: (Leviticus 19:5-8)
Going to the temple in an unclean state: (Numbers 19:13)

So why not just either live the bible and do everything word for word.... or accept that it is the misogynistic ramblings of an archaic, patriarchal society that has no relevance today.

edit on 20/2/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Double Post

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This law, if it's signed by the Governor, makes some sweeping legal changes, for example, it redefines personhood:

Expands the definition of person to include any individual, association, partnership, corporation, church, estate, trust, foundation or other legal entity.

Really Arizona? You WANT to go there? Tsk Tsk!

It also says:

The state shall be prohibited, and you cannot be sued, for the practice of any faith.

So, I can "circumcise" little girls? Sacrifice goats and chickens in my homemade candle and soap shop? Sell peyote?

Source

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

QueenofSpades
This is the first I've heard on this, but I've got to say that I support it.

According to its premise, it protects our Constitutional Right to be free from government influence in our decisions about religion and our very right to pursuit happiness. When government steps in to dictate what we 'must' accept, this clearly is an infringement.

For example, I am a Conservative, but I am absolutely not religious. As a conservative, I personally disagree with the unnaturalness of same-sex relationships. While I do not bring harm, taunt, or prevent gays from their liberties, Government does NOT have the (Constitutional) Right to force me to 'like it'.

Did you overlook the little bit of everyone being equal that is in the Constitution?

From the 14th amendment Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

But you are right you don't have to like it but it is the law.

link   
reply to post by blupblup

If the Bible and Christianity is going to be the bench mark for this bill; that makes Arizona wide open for all sorts of fun and games.

Yeehawwww..........

Wer'e talkin concubines here!!!

link   
Lot's of double posts lately!!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
When I lived in Arizona, my bosses would tell me to stop using such big words. No lie. Arizona is 46th in education. And.it.shows.

We are not dealing with mental giants, and the conservatives can take these mental giants and convince them to vote against their own best interests.

I saw church proceedings on church house steps. These people don't understand the Constitution anymore than they can understand environmental law.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Sorry to say that the Constitution specifically protects the right of people to freely practice their religion and it is protected from Government interference. There is no similar constitutional protection for LGBT people as of right now.

Maybe there should be an amendment, but I still don't think anyone should be FORCED to do something by our Government. It's a tough call but, I would support a person's right to NOT participate in something to which they were morally opposed.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Should people be allowed to live out their faith?

Who gets to define "living out one's faith"?

I know many here despise religion, but would you want to deny religious freedoms?

This is turning into a bitter war. A division even better planned than the rich vs poor or white vs black.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

It certainly looks like plural marriages couldn't be prosecuted!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Metallicus
Sorry to say that the Constitution specifically protects the right of people to freely practice their religion and it is protected from Government interference. There is no similar constitutional protection for LGBT people as of right now.

Maybe there should be an amendment, but I still don't think anyone should be FORCED to do something by our Government. It's a tough call but, I would support a person's right to NOT participate in something to which they were morally opposed.

A business is not a person so it has no right to practice religion rights are for people. If a person thinks that other people should live under their religious laws then they should never go into business except maybe to start a church.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

olaru12
reply to post by blupblup

If the Bible and Christianity is going to be the bench mark for this bill; that make Arizona wide open for all sorts of fun and games.

Yeehawwww..........

Not to mention you can stone your kid for mouthing off and own slaves again. And if you see a person working on Sunday you have the right to kill him.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Under the provisions of the law, if it's signed by Brewer, there will be no legal distinction between a person, a business and/or a church.

The only distinction would be for profit and non-profit.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Exactly...I personally think that the Church/Temple/Mosque and one's Home, are the only places where religion should be an issue or be expressed.
There is no need or place for religion anywhere else to be honest.

It's harmless enough to have street preachers and people leafleting and so on, so iguess that could be OK too.

But religion spreads and permeates too much of society, well in the US anyway.
Not at all in the UK so no worries there at all.... no politician would or does ever mention God or religion in the UK.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join