It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Censors Have Kept Their Hands Off ‘House of Cards’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So China loves the NetFlix series House of Cards and allows it to run uncensored within China. Anyone surprised at this? Why wouldn't they love a TV series that shows the US ruling class and politicians in a less than flattering light?

Personally I love the series but I think this is a win for China, again. Nothing like having the dirty political machinations of our government up on the screen for the whole world to see. Sure it's fiction but I'll hazard a guess that for ever fictional dirty deal, corrupt political maneuver, swindle and even murder the real Washington DC is a hundred times worse.

Chinese Censors Have Kept Their Hands Off ‘House of Cards’

The new season of “House of Cards” focuses on a host of issues that would typically be regarded as sensitive by the Chinese authorities: cyber-espionage, currency manipulation, tensions between China and Japan in the East China Sea, and the extravagant and corrupt lifestyles enjoyed by the offspring of China’s revolutionary leaders.

Despite its heavy emphasis on China, however, the show did not undergo any censorship by government authorities before its release, Charles Zhang, founder and chief executive of Sohu, said in an interview on Tuesday. The episodes available online on Sohu, said Mr. Zhang, are no different from the American version aside from the addition of Chinese subtitles. Sohu has secured the rights to broadcast the first three seasons of “House of Cards.”

Want to take any bets that China isn't laughing their collective butts off about how corrupt the US government really is? Again, sure it's fiction but I believe the US government is so corrupt and arrogant they cannot see that the entire planet is laughing at them. Perhaps it's just a TV show or perhaps pride does go before the fall. I'll bet eventually this is one show the US will wish they had censored before all this is over.

Mods please move if this is in the wrong spot.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Apple probably just bribed the ruling Chinese party to air it. Considering how prevalent Apple are in China with sweatshops cranking out cheap electronics, the ruling party in China probably seen it as a good business deal, makes sense.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Spoiler alert,

From season two its clear why China loves it, Its shows what "Corruption" Capitalism can bring, even to Chinese business and politics.

Just look at the Story arch for the Chinese character, from his life style, to the end he meets, shows one Message.

Americans will use you, and abandon you, You will be a traitor to the Government, and get nothing, and than you will meet justice.

Not a bad message for them all in all.
edit on 20-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yep, that's my take on this as well.

Total propaganda win for China vs US. They even get to show how they punish their corrupt elites while in the US corruption can lead to someone becoming president.

Guess this was a no win scenario for the US in real life. For China, why stop an enemy (or competitor) when they are shooting themselves in the foot (again.)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Want to take any bets that China isn't laughing their collective butts off about how corrupt the US government really is? Again, sure it's fiction but I believe the US government is so corrupt and arrogant they cannot see that the entire planet is laughing at them. Perhaps it's just a TV show or perhaps pride does go before the fall. I'll bet eventually this is one show the US will wish they had censored before all this is over.

If the US censored it they would be no better than China. One reason long standing US corruption exists as it does is because they have plausible deniability, and the power centers of corruption are limited to small groups or outside influences for the most part, and can condemn any authoritarian censorship/actions around the world, while claiming moral superiority.

It's a giant game of poker. And the US is the best at bluffing. Everyone else is playing their cards face up.

edit on 20-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I've talked to some people from D.C. that work in politics about HOC.

For it being a TV show and a bit dramatized, it's actually scarily accurate.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Instead of worring what china thinks maybe concentrating on sorting your mess of a goverment out?

That way house of cards will be just fiction.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

If the US censored it they would be no better than China. One reason long standing US corruption exists as it does is because they have plausible deniability, and the power centers of corruption are limited to small groups or outside influences for the most part, and can condemn any authoritarian censorship/actions around the world, while claiming moral superiority.

It's a giant game of poker. And the US is the best at bluffing. Everyone else is playing their cards face up.

If the US could have censored this I believe they would have. Unfortunately for the pols that would have been pretty tough to pull off and in this case it looks like the dealer had to toss a couple of Ace's to the Chinese.

Not saying in this case that this is a huge problem, just another winning hand for China. Don't underestimate the Chinese, they've been playing cards for a lot longer than the US. They play the long game.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Art often imitates life, the reason being Artist often showcase the ills of society in their art, satire being one example people readily understand as such.

No need for conspiracy, simply House of Cards writers showing the ills in our current society.

China, happens to agree for what ever reason, most likely that one story arch fits their ends.

But really has any one watched house of cards and said "no way, not in our government?".

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by boncho

If the US could have censored this I believe they would have. Unfortunately for the pols that would have been pretty tough to pull off and in this case it looks like the dealer had to toss a couple of Ace's to the Chinese.

Not saying in this case that this is a huge problem, just another winning hand for China. Don't underestimate the Chinese, they've been playing cards for a lot longer than the US. They play the long game.

The day the US starts widespread censorship is the day they (already lost?) lose politically, in the eyes of the people and governments worldwide. It will be the downfall of the system.

The political might used in worldwide arena now is all based off "official" policies which condemn the actions of other nations. If official policy becomes the same actions, they will need a new game plan.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I was listening to something about it on the radio the other day (never seen it).
Someone asked their buddy from Washington how accurate House of Cards is, and they said 99%.
They asked, "What's the 1%?"
Reply: No way an education bill gets passed that fast.

top topics

join