It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Constant flaming on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
The Wannaque vortex is only about 35 miles away from New York City.

I would like a map & where do I find out more info.? I missed out on this one evidently.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheObserver

Originally posted by Jonna
markjaxson is correct! Ther is a huge difference between having an open mind and it being so open that your brain falls out.

I agree, but could you not say that in a less demeaning way?

We should not blanketly believe everything, but by the same token we should also not blanketly disbelieve everything too.

But you have insulted me, and you do not know me at all. We could agree on many things but you have disregarded that and made a snap decision. I have been labelled so open-minded that my brain falls out.

Why have you done this? Can you make decisions about people that quickly? I am not stupid and I do not believe that you are stupid either. In fact by the very nature of you being on this board, I have instantly credited you with above average intelligence and a willingness to discuss extreme possibilites. So why can I not believe what I want? And who are you to state that what I believe is incorrect?

What the hell are you talking about!?!?!?!?!?! Are you looking to fight with someone? If so please to so with someone else as I just don't have the energy to bother.

Did I say that TheObserver has this brains in his/her lap or address you or your words personally in any way? Did I even quote you? NO! I merely agreed with someone who is not you as is my right to do. Oh dear me, I had an opinion! Did I do this to spite you? To tell you the truth, I think this is the first time I even saw your user name post.

The irony of all this is that you are complaining about people flaming when you are attempting to start something up yourself.

To clairfy:

I have nothing against you. I am not insulted or harmed by your opinion as it is just that, your opinion and you are entitled to it. I am not attacking you or even addressing you personally with my opinion as it is just my opinion. If you don't like my opinion then don't. I don't take it personally when someones opinion is contrary to mine. Try it and stop trying to start fights without provacation.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by sen5e

I would like a map & where do I find out more info.? I missed out on this one evidently.

This is the map

These are some of the threads...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

Originally posted by TheBandit795
YEah, it would change something if different people went to the place independently of each other, took similar pictures and experienced similar events...

My guess, smoke, probably Marlboro. But seriously Bandit, can you get me a map or an address or something? I will take a ride there.

Did you go WOS?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think these forums are great and offer just enough freedom to flame people who deserve it without being plain offensive/insulting/immature.
There's no need for change, neither do people need to lighten up.

All is ok.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Nobody deserves to be flamed... Flame-wars and discussions are two different things.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
What I mean is that when someone insists on being all ignorant, the truth can be told to them.
It is allowed to make harsh posts and to be mean, and this is also what I appreciate about these forums. It's not some emotionless sterile community, people discuss with passion.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Jakko]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So how do flames begin? I suppose that we would all like to be told that we are intelligent and praised for being correct in our beliefs, but we do not all hold the same perspective on things. Even if one is correct, what might be right for you may not be right for some. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them all and then you have the facts of life...

*smacks self in face with keyboard*

k;jayls[;p/hav GQEp;[haEq[' 8 asdfkj;gha;ds

Sorry for that! Anyway, some people feel insulted simply when you or I do not see things their way. As a reflex they try to pound 'their' truth into you till you 'get it'. This often feels like a harping session to the disbeliever and they get annoyed with the person that is annoyed with them. Then walla! Add two cups milk and a pinch of pepper and you now have a flame war.

So I guess the problem is people only accepting the validity of their beliefs above all others. The problem is that no one knows all the answers, but unfortinatly some egos just refuse to accept that.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   

What the hell are you talking about!?!?!?!?!?! Are you looking to fight with someone? If so please to so with someone else as I just don't have the energy to bother.

Did I say that TheObserver has this brains in his/her lap or address you or your words personally in any way? Did I even quote you? NO! I merely agreed with someone who is not you as is my right to do. Oh dear me, I had an opinion! Did I do this to spite you? To tell you the truth, I think this is the first time I even saw your user name post.

The irony of all this is that you are complaining about people flaming when you are attempting to start something up yourself.

To clairfy:

I have nothing against you. I am not insulted or harmed by your opinion as it is just that, your opinion and you are entitled to it. I am not attacking you or even addressing you personally with my opinion as it is just my opinion. If you don't like my opinion then don't. I don't take it personally when someones opinion is contrary to mine. Try it and stop trying to start fights without provacation.

It is your right to agree or disagree with anyone you chose. But was the snyde remark necessary? If it was not directed at me, then who were you referring to? It is true that you did not say me specifically, but that makes no difference as I don`t just want people to stop being nasty to just me, but to everyone.

I notice that you got very defensive and said that I was stopping you from having an oppinion that was different to mine. I don`t know how you came to this conclusion my friend, because that is exactly the opposite of what I am saying here.

I say again to everyone:

Please let us discuss things here without living in fear that someone is going to burn our arses. I would like to see active and passionate discussion, but it to remain respectful at all times. That really isn`t too much to ask is it?

Originally posted by Jonna
So how do flames begin? I suppose that we would all like to be told that we are intelligent and praised for being correct in our beliefs, but we do not all hold the same perspective on things. Even if one is correct, what might be right for you may not be right for some. You take the good, you take the bad, you take them all and then you have the facts of life...

*smacks self in face with keyboard*

k;jayls[;p/hav GQEp;[haEq[' 8 asdfkj;gha;ds

Sorry for that! Anyway, some people feel insulted simply when you or I do not see things their way. As a reflex they try to pound 'their' truth into you till you 'get it'. This often feels like a harping session to the disbeliever and they get annoyed with the person that is annoyed with them. Then walla! Add two cups milk and a pinch of pepper and you now have a flame war.

So I guess the problem is people only accepting the validity of their beliefs above all others. The problem is that no one knows all the answers, but unfortinatly some egos just refuse to accept that.

Jonna, I do believe you are correct when you talk about people sometimes not accepting what you are telling them because they think they are right. But by the same token are you willing to accept that on occasion you might be wrong yourself? There are some people here (I am not saying that you are one of them) that will not back down on what they believe because they are too stubborn, or maybe because they are afraid that their credibility will be dented if they did. These people could benefit from a little more open-mindedness and to be a bit more humble, would you agree?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Im a fairly recently joined member and if it wasnt for some of the more openminded and level headed poster on this site, I would never bother posting. My first few posts recieved some of the most digrcefull and arrogant replies ive heard on any forum, and it has put me off posting unless I feel an absolute undeniable need to. There is no need for flaming other people no matter how much u dont like what they have to say and no matter how much your opinions differ. Flaming people only serves to hurt/ bellittle and chastise people.....so my question to all those flamers out there (u know who u are) is this......Why do you delibrately flame other people, knowing that you are hurting them or making them feel bad? Are there people on this site who are so shallow as to make other feel bad just to make themsevles feel better or "in the right" above others, if so u should take a long hard look at yourselves as your a disgrace to all the openminded and amazing friends I have met on this site.
I try never to offend anyone and only ever give people my honest opinion, if that offends people Im the first to apologise, but please can we stop the flaming and all just get on with each other.

humility and altruism are abundant on this site and I hope it will long continue.

[edit on 24-11-2004 by radiant_obsidian]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Im recent to ATS, but having used forums for a long time, i have noticed some characteristics of the posting style in ATS (recently at least)

I am of the opinion that the flaming and the hostility is caused by a very small minority of individuals who happen to post a lot.

1. The excessive quoting. Some people never put fourth an idea , or their opinion, they merely express themselvs negativily by denying someone else's opinion or theory (and sometimes with insults)

2. The using of threads as a personal chat. Making very small posts basicly in the lines of "I don't agree!" , and the subsequent engagement of 2 or 3 individuals in an absurd debate, and in these cases they are often talking about two different things. The result is threads with 50+ posts with 1-5 posts being worth the read. This only causes lag to ATS.

3. The Repetition of Threads. Often these individuals who exibit a disruptive behavior (insults, etc), they tend to repeat the theme of a thread, and then proceed to make 5-10 other threads basicly identical.
Perhaps a Thread with 1000 posts is not exactly ideal (to read), but 50 Threads with 20 posts , with 80% of them just personal remarks and childish attitudes, then again, this only causes lag to ATS.

4. Lack of Education. I know this is not exactly a secret but it should be mentioned once in a while, not all users here are teenagers. ATS has people from all over the world, and of all age groups (except perhaps 0-5 year olds (just kidding) , well... and these people who engage in the flaming , insulting, basicly abusing the privilege of using ATS, probably don't realize that when they reply to someone's post, they should show some courtesy and politeness in the way they express their views.

I personally beleive that the people who flame, insult, are quite young, so i don't take them very seriously, intelectually speaking, but if there are some who flame and insult, and happen to have a higher age, then it is even more serious, it shows a real flaw of character.

5. Ego.

Some People feel the need to express their view on a particular subject as if their lives depend on it. I mean, lets consider this, Something does not become more True or False for the fact that it is said or ommitted.

And in this case, sometimes the same things are said over and over. I mean, the repetition of ideas is extremely boring for the casual reader.
I beleive the general idea of ATS is either a stable group of users or a growth in users, well, if the forums happen to have the effect of boring every new user to death, then i guess the boring posters (flamers, etc) are attempting, consciously or inconsciously to undermine ATS, or to make this into a sort of Little Club.

When Posting something, one should realize that the idea of the Post is primarily for it to be read by others, so.. some care (at least) should be employed when writing it. Im not even considering the fact that some people write Posts for themselvs.

Well, this is getting long. ill finish up.

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Tartessian]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   

But was the snyde remark necessary?

I made a snyde remark? It's news to me! Perhaps you are taking everything a bit too personal.

If it was not directed at me, then who were you referring to? It is true that you did not say me specifically, but that makes no difference as I don`t just want people to stop being nasty to just me, but to everyone.

This is a discussion board. Is it law that I must address a specific person? I gave my OPINION on the subject at hand. Take it or leave it, but don't cry foul as it is only an OPINION. Actually I recall that I was AGREEING with another member. Since when is telling someone they are correct (in my OPINION) being nasty? Oh, I forgot! It wasn't you that I was agreeing with.

I notice that you got very defensive and said that I was stopping you from having an oppinion that was different to mine. I don`t know how you came to this conclusion my friend, because that is exactly the opposite of what I am saying here.

Not to be rude, but there is no other way to say this: What world are you living in? Where did I say that you hindered me from doing anything? Perhaps I did not speak clearly enough when I said several times that what I said was my opinion and it is my right to state my opinion AS I DID. If you don't agree with it then argue a counter-point, but don't cry that I am being snyde, nasty or attacking you.

Please let us discuss things here without living in fear that someone is going to burn our arses.

Dude! Why are you busting my chops over my original post? Either disagree, counter-argue or ignore it, but stop acting infintile.

But by the same token are you willing to accept that on occasion you might be wrong yourself?

Did you actually read anything that I have ever writen including in this thread? Do I need to say yet again that everything I say is only MY OPINION. That does not refer to it as truth, but JUST AN OPINION. This conversation is pointless as you seem to be reading my posts in some other language. If you have some sort of personal problem with me then either U2U me or put me on ignore, but don't litter the board with this nonsense.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Jonna,

You are rude beyond belief. I am not going to waste my time repeating what I have said because you are obviously ignoring anything I put, or twisting it to suit your own personal taste. And what a bitter taste it is.

We have a perfect example of someone flaming for everyone to see. This is exactly what I am talking about, no need for it is there?

Jonna - begone fool.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I invite anyone here on ATS to go loco on me. In the immortal words of Muhammad Ali, I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Please!
Step back and take a few breath's. Maintain order and do not encroach the bounds of flaming and/or worse.

Be respectfully chill. please.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I invite anyone here on ATS to go loco on me. In the immortal words of Muhammad Ali, I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

I think that ship has already sailed, but if you are refering to a train ride then I'm in.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I certainly was not trying to provoke. I just like a ferocious debate. It keeps me sharp. Really, I'm just a sweet little cherub!

Peace out

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I have to admit that if given a Mulligan, I would go loco on several of the newer members these days - in a heartbeat. Sorry, but it's true. Can't help it.

The pendelum has swung from extreme skepticism in the form of debunking (maybe too much of it - I personally didn't think so, but that's beside the point) to extreme paranoia in the form of being so farking gullible to every single conspiracy theory - JUST AS LONG AS IT'S ABOUT NWO, BAD U.S. GOVERNMENT, ADMIN IS THE ANTI-CHRIST, or any other myriad stupidity about government conspiracies - that this board is currently armpit deep in all out IGNORANCE

Thank you for the opportunity for me to vent my spleen, I may now be able to ignore all that for another period of time before feeling like tracking some one down and trying to slap sense into them.

Have a ignorance-induced blissful day.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I have to admit that if given a Mulligan, I would go loco on several of the newer members these days - in a heartbeat. Sorry, but it's true. Can't help it.

The pendelum has swung from extreme skepticism in the form of debunking (maybe too much of it - I personally didn't think so, but that's beside the point) to extreme paranoia in the form of being so farking gullible to every single conspiracy theory - JUST AS LONG AS IT'S ABOUT NWO, BAD U.S. GOVERNMENT, ADMIN IS THE ANTI-CHRIST, or any other myriad stupidity about government conspiracies - that this board is currently armpit deep in all out IGNORANCE

Thank you for the opportunity for me to vent my spleen, I may now be able to ignore all that for another period of time before feeling like tracking some one down and trying to slap sense into them.

Have a ignorance-induced blissful day.

I feel for you Valhall, all that cynacism can`t be healthy for you.

I`m sure the people that you slap sense into are eternally grateful for your obvious wisdom.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I feel for you Valhall, all that cynacism can`t be healthy for you.

I`m sure the people that you slap sense into are eternally grateful for your obvious wisdom.

Well, they damned sure better be or they run the risk of the double-whack tag-back for ingrates.

I've often wondered what kind of metabolic rates idiots have to have to be able to spend that much energy swallowing everything whole and then still be able to pound nonsense out on their keyboard...

WE NEED A STUDY!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join