It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom With Cancer Banned From School Because of Her…Smell

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
(post by nixie_nox removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
If you have a problem with it, sound off to the school administration:

tierraantigua.aps.edu...

-----EDIT-----

Uh, but this is from November of last year. I wonder if it has been resolved favorably.
edit on 20-2-2014 by incoserv because: added information

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

While I sympathize with the mother and her wishes I also have to take into consideration that is some sensationalism behind the story.

Schools most of the time at least in the ones I worked goes far and beyond when it comes to what parents wishes are that are related to some family crisis, I could talk and talk about how many times this was done during my teachers years.

So I have mixed feelings about this case and the story, I don't deny that is true but is something else missing here.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Yes, this is from last year, so lets check for some updates:

www.kob.com...

A question many people have asked is why Mascareno needs to go inside the school if she even admits the smell can be overpowering.

The reason is because her daughter is special needs, so Mascareno wants to be as active in her life as possible.

And she says the school used to support her
involvement.

According to this link, seems the story brought a lot of backlash, hate mail, phone calls.

There even seems to be some confusion as to what the "odor" is really from. While having been claimed it was due to chemo, check out this statement, from the article.

The smell is coming from her breast.

The tumor is too large for her small frame.

It is breaking her skin, rotting within.

Now, is this true, or, just their fears and interpretations? Is it rotting flesh, as claimed, or, chemo drugs? One heck if a statement to make to the press, isn't it?

The article then goes on to allege she lied about the entire situation. His claim, and her refutation:

The district also claims the principal never banned Mascareno from the building.

“That's a lie,” replies Mascareno. “He knows what he said and he knows that he did something wrong.”

Powerful stuff.

Another article makes even more horrendous claims:

news.ninemsn.com.au...

Not only did the principal demand Ms Mascareno not set foot inside the school building, she claims, she also demanded she stay in her car.

"He just said that he would have to ask me to sit in my car because he could smell me through the window," she said.

He could smell her through the window?! This guy is starting to come across as not very stable.

Several articles, like this one, instead, claimed it was not employee(s), but ONE employee:

rounds after an employee took offence
to the odour

This gets more interesting after another article I found discusses the pricipal's blog, in which he is alleged to write rather dispairagingly about women at the school.

www.salon.com...

“and he understands where I’m coming from because his mother had breast cancer
and she had the same exact smell. I can no longer be in the school and that with me being in the school that I made his employees ill.”

he’s even written of the “tragic” loss of his
aunt to cancer. For what it’s worth, though, he also freely engages in full-on body snarking women for their “tacky” hair and their wardrobe
choices when they’re “built like a bowling ball” and describes school mothers as “Mrs.
Shovelhead” and “Cookie Monster.”

He admits his personal history with women is
“checkered.” So it’s a fair bet he might have certain expectations around how pleasing the parent body should be.

Wow. Sounds like HE may just be the ONE employee that complained, due to his personal history, and possibly HIS personal issues in dealing with cancer, and the loss of a loved one.

Add to that the blog in which he seems to have problems with women, in general, making snarky remarks, and insults, and I think, ladies and gentlemen, we found the real problem.

If what these articles state is true, then, just WOW!

edit on 20-2-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

As a mother I will be sympathetic to this particular case but I will have to weight the impact or the exposure I would like my children to have.

As a former teacher I will be very sad if this mother could not spend her time with her children the way she wants to, but at the same time I would be concern also about the well being of the children in the school that are not of this mothers own.

I know it can seem cruel no to allow this mother to be with her children, but I am sure is other ways to handle her situation.

Just how exactly does an odour negatively impact a child's "well being"?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

TheRegal

marg6043
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

As a mother I will be sympathetic to this particular case but I will have to weight the impact or the exposure I would like my children to have.

As a former teacher I will be very sad if this mother could not spend her time with her children the way she wants to, but at the same time I would be concern also about the well being of the children in the school that are not of this mothers own.

I know it can seem cruel no to allow this mother to be with her children, but I am sure is other ways to handle her situation.

Just how exactly does an odour negatively impact a child's "well being"?

We render them incapable of facing unpleasant situations delved out by an unfair world that preaches tolerance while actively endorsing political correctness. All for "the greater good". I call bs. There is only one victim here.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

She may be too sick.

As everyone knows, my daughter recently died of cancer. Her daughter, my granddaughter, is in kindergarten. My daughter would take her to school and sit in the lunchroom with her while she ate breakfast, as MANY mom's do! Then when it was time for all the kids to go to class she would kiss her goodbye and leave the school. This process is a daily occurrence for most of the parents in my granddaughters school.

My daughter did that until she was too sick to even accomplish that much, as sitting with her and getting out for that 30 minutes was too much on her. That is when I took over, and did the whole morning routine and it became me sitting in that lunch room and helping a kindergartener with her breakfast and having that morning time in the school, before it was time to say goodbye.

When she was doing this, there was no way she could have taken both kids all day, she was having to get a babysitter for her son, because she was too ill to have constant care of them. But she spent all the time she could muster, as much as she possibly could... and those kids knew she loved them so very much.

Since this morning process is something many many mom's the country over do, preventing one mom is absolutely ridiculous.. all because she is sick.

My daughter was never once prevented from sitting through my granddaughter's breakfast, and the women in that school, all the mom's and teachers, we so caring and so helpful... the difference in community between my granddaughter's school and this one is amazing.. and truly I am shocked and appalled.
edit on 21-2-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

You are right. She stated she spends her time there, because her child has special needs. I cannot find any further information on the severity of her disability, but it shouln't even matter. She said the school used to support her. I believe her.

Also, for those that have said the chemo is treating her, it's not like she is dying, that's not true. The chemo is extending her life by however long, but it was stated in one of the articles I linked, her condition is incurable. She WILL die from this. Chemo, and the choice to undergo that treatment, merely adds some time to your life. The cancer, or possibly side effects from it, will likely shorten her life drastically. At stage IV, depending on how far along it is, the metastases, etc., she really may only have months, even weeks.

The one thing I did consider was, she was definitely taking a huge risk in going to the school during chemo, because her immune system is so compromised. Any mom can tell you, schools are a great place to go to get sick. I admire her for standing by her child, and it is her choice to make, regardless. I am certain she is aware of the risks, however, so she is showing the world how important it is to spend this remaining time with her children.

Also, I did find the principals' blog, which was referred to in the article I linked above. He has some awful ways of looking at, and thinking about people. Women, in particular, but men, too.

abney45.blogspot.com...

He was also the one responsible for the comment above, about the smell being from the tumor, that her frame was too small, and it was the smell of rotting, from within. I went back and re-read the article, and it stated he made that comment.

It was said he lost both an aunt, as well as his mother, to cancer, and both took chemo. The more I see on this story, the more it looks like his personal issues that caused the whole issue. He also did write about his aunts' death in the blog linked above. The way he wrote about it, it sounded more like he was angry about being inconvenienced by her cancer and death, and having his personal belongings in several different places at once. She only lived 5 weeks fron her diagnosis.

I don't know, but he really seems very self centered and selfish, and seems to lack compassion.

It is very sad, and I think the mother should pull the child out of the school, if she possibly can.

On the other hand, some people interviewed stated she has no family. I didn't see mention of a spouse or significant other, but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist. If she is alone, though, imagine her desperation. It breaks the heart even moreso.

There is a petition at moveon.org asking for his resignation. Cannot link those here, so I won't.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Thanks for the info.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join