It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Living drug' kills leukemia cancer cells in 88 percent of patients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   

A new approach to killing cancer cells that uses a patient's own immune system has beaten back leukemia in 88 percent of adults, US researchers said today.

The report by scientists in New York offers more good news for the burgeoning field of cancer immunotherapy, which uses what some describe as a "living drug" that was hailed by Science magazine as the breakthrough of 2013.

The latest trial, published in the journal Science Translational Medicine, involved 16 people with a kind of blood cancer known as adult B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).

Some 1,400 people die of ALL in the United States each year, and while it is among the most treatable cancers, patients often become resistant to chemotherapy and eventually relapse.

'Living drug' kills leukemia cancer cells in 88 percent of patients

This is really great news and huge breakthrough. Please note, that patients used in this trial were on brink of death and chemotherapy was no longer working for them.

There is detail how it works:

The process involves removing some of the patient's T-cells and altering them with a gene to make them recognize a protein, known as CD19, on the cancer cells, so that they can attack them.

Left to their own devices, T cells can attack other harmful invaders in the body but will allow cancer to grow uninterrupted.

"Basically, what we do is re-educate the T cell in the laboratory with gene therapy to recognize and now kill tumor cells," Brentjens said.

edit on 20-2-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

"Basically, what we do is re-educate the T cell in the laboratory with gene therapy to recognize and now kill tumor cells," Brentjens said.
Or you could just use high dose liposamal vitamin c to give the immune system a good helping hand. Theres plenty of people on here who know how to make there own. It works.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Nice. Hopefully they can make it work to fight other types of cancer as well in the near future.

edit on 20-2-2014 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This procedure won't see the light of day in the general population. How else will big pharma make their billions of dollars if they cure 88% of leukemia sufferers? All thiose research grants and chemo treatments will be lost.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

UnBreakable
This procedure won't see the light of day in the general population. How else will big pharma make their billions of dollars if they cure 88% of leukemia sufferers? All thiose research grants and chemo treatments will be lost.

Just charge more than the average price of treatment. Make money on the treatment while people save for the cure, then make a huge sum on the cure.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Lompyt

Or you could just use high dose liposamal vitamin c to give the immune system a good helping hand. Theres plenty of people on here who know how to make there own. It works.

Evidence liposamal vitamin c makes T cells target protein CD19? I am sure you have peer reviewed work to back that up.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

UnBreakable

you are correct.this has been done many times before but it is never used routinely but is buried.

remember big pharma wins a million dollar lottery every time someone is (mis)diagnosed with cancer and then gets blasted with chemo to give them more cancer.

A million dollars is a routine amount that they rob you of... sometimes a lot more for blasting YOU with gamma radiation and toxic landfill chemicals masquerading as "treatment" with a 100000 times mark up.

all those chemo profits.

560000 dead from cancer in usa annually.

1.2 million diagnosed cancer in usa annually.

you do the money math.

1000000 times 1200000 = ??????????????

a trillion dollars.

some people lie ,cheat, steal, kill,murder,maim for a few hundred dollars.right?

in this case it is a trillion dollars.

did you not hear about that doctor in america who made $60 millions from deliberately misdiagnosing people with cancer.

that was just 1 doctor who has been caught accidentally.

imagine how many others doctors are doing it.every day to YOU.
edit on 21-2-2014 by beckybecky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   

UnBreakable

Dead people don't pay much for treatment. When you don't cure cancer, you often end up with a dead person. So…

Id say they would make a lot more curing the cancer, waiting for the next ailment the person has, which they will surely be favourable of that company when they make the next drug choice. It's called brand loyalty.

Then you have that whole, "Do I take this drug that nearly kills me, or this one that doesn't"

Seems like a good selling point. Sales = Money. Hard concept I know…

if they cure 88% of leukemia sufferers? All thiose research grants and chemo treatments will be lost.

I presume research grants to the company that cures leukaemia will rise 100 fold when they start tacking all the other kinds of cancer. Weird I know…
edit on 21-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Tell me in this phase 1 trial of 16 people, if now 3 are in" remission" (who also had bone marrow transplants) how is that it says 88%?
Already a patented and marketed $ therapy $ after a phase 1 trial of 16 people with 3 in remission post [multiple] other treatments.
How does he get to claim at this point in the small phase 1 study it is from his cell engineering and not from the chemo, the bone marrow transplants , placebo effect or other?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

BDBinc

Tell me in this phase 1 trial of 16 people, if now 3 are in" remission" (who also had bone marrow transplants) how is that it says 88%?
Already a patented and marketed $ therapy $ after a phase 1 trial of 16 people with 3 in remission post [multiple] other treatments.
How does he get to claim at this point in the small phase 1 study it is from his cell engineering and not from the chemo, the bone marrow transplants , placebo effect or other?

If you read first post and article, you would notice that those are patients that chemo or other treatment did not work. When they started with this therapy, they were very close to death and out of options. This drug saved their lives.

I guess that those who study this therapy took daily samples to verify progress and to see if therapy is helping or not.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
My sister-in-law had leukemia twice. She had a 10% chance of surviving. It's now been five years since the last time and they are giving her a 70% chance of making it another five. She went through hell with the drugs. Twice. I couldn't do what she did. I would have just let it go. She's just a shell of the person she was before the cancers ... sleeping 16 hours a day ... having mini-strokes and/or forgetting everything ... lungs are shot from the drugs, she's always got pneumonia ... but she's still alive and here. Cancer drugs are evil. She would have died without them ... but what the drugs do is evil.

I hope something good comes of this news. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

SuperFrog

BDBinc

If you read first post and article, you would notice that those are patients that chemo or other treatment did not work. When they started with this therapy, they were very close to death and out of options. This drug saved their lives.

I guess that those who study this therapy took daily samples to verify progress and to see if therapy is helping or not.

I went to the source to find information and it looks like only 3 people were said to be in remission that is not 88% if the total was 16.
They first had chemo and other treatments, then some had a bone marrow treatments and drugs which is "other treatment".
You can't say it was that drug and not the other drugs.

posted on Feb, 22 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

If this new method of treatment works as advertised what's the bet that it's shelved rather sharpish or made only available to the super rich?

"They" are only interested in treating diseases not curing them, more profit that way!

That being said i do hope my pessimism is misplaced and this does indeed pave the way forward regarding treatment of this disease!

edit on 22-2-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

join