It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will take care of you when you're old?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

I have raised a son that I have poured my heart and soul into. He will always make sure I am taken care of. Like I do him.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
In no way does my husband or I want to be a burden to our children in life. While we are able, we will continue to live in our home assisting each other, but if our children want to assist us when they can (because young people have busy lives), that will be readily accepted and appreciated. If it comes to a point where care becomes a burden on either one of us, we have agreed that the other, or our children, look into in-home nursing care, which I hope will improve by leaps and bounds by the time I get there. This is what my mother did when my father died...his last wish was to die at home, and she, and we all helped when we could, made that possible.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well my daughters 87year old next door neighbour must be a very lucky woman, she

never had children and her husband died about 10 years ago.

My daughter shops for her weekly when she does her own shopping in the winter she

goes in at night makes her a hot drink and sandwich puts a water bottle in her bed,

makes any Dr's appointments and takes her. Hoovers regularly and in the summer

cuts her hedges.

Six months ago she got her a three legged cat from the rescue kennels for company,

it had previously been very badly treated hence it had had to have a back leg

amputated. It was full of character and the neighbour loved it

dearly, and you could see the difference it made to her life .... unfortunately the

cat died (the vet said probably due to something from the previous treatment

which hadn't been noticed at the time.) After a period of time I think my daughter

will introduce her to another pet, noticing the difference that the company had

made to her.

I fully intend to look after my health, and hope to remain fully independent and am

planning downsizing to a studio flat in the not too distant future, I feel sure my

lovely daughter will give me the same consideration she has given her neighbour,

and if things get really bad and I can't cope I intend to over medicate . . . . .

Its not the dying ...... its the dignity with which one dies ......
edit on 20-2-2014 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I work for Banker's Life, we deal %90 of our buss. wit people turning 65 and older. We have a Policy that is very cost reasonable.
It will pay for home health care, assisted living care and nursing home care. The premiums are reasonable. I have one for me and my wife ,I'm 59 she is 54. It's cheaper the younger you are. So we are set, we will not be a burden to my only daughter.
I sell a lot of these plans.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Hopefully my kids. If nothing else, they'll want the ranch when we die, so they better! LOL.
I'll likely have to take care of my mother at some point. She's getting older. Both the kids are adults, so possible one or both will move out at some point, but neither seem in a rush to do it (and why should they? cheap rent!)

Seriously though, hopefully we can make good enough decisions to have things in order for this before we get too, too old.

For example, we're looking into pre-paid funerals, etc. We had to handle her mom's and her dad's recently, both of which weren't really very old at all, but they had NO plans, and this was THOUSANDS of dollars (and no life insurance even). Not just the money, but even having to make all those decisions, etc. It's horrible, and of course, a horrible time to have to deal with it. We don't want to have the kids have to do that, ever, if we can help it.

I have to tell you, before I get too, too bad, I'd likely solve my own problem. I'm not going to live in misery. Don't get me wrong, I'm a survivor, but I'm also about quality of life, so I will apply the dog test. If I wouldn't want my dog to suffer through it, then I won't either!

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Gazrok, your feeling that humans should be worthy of the same compassion as we give to dogs is also what I believe. I won't let the law or societal pressure dictate what I do with my life when only pain and a total lack of independence remains.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join