It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who will take care of you when you're old?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
When I ask this question, I'm talking about countries that are economically developed, such as the US, Canada and the European countries.

I married twice but I had no children. I now live alone, and I have no significant-other or children or grand-children. On a scale of 1 to 10 (but only in the context of a country that provides retirement pensions and universal health care-Canada), I would judge myself as a 3. If the state doesn't take care of me when I get old and sick, then I could end up in trouble.

How about you? Are you confident you will be taken care of when you can't handle life on your own when you get really old? The scale is one to ten. Loving spouse and children and grand children pushes your rating to ten or almost ten. But that's not everybody.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
nope im dead for sure. Interesting enough related to this subject I asked a person from phillipines what happens to old people, when they require special care and the answer was there is no care they die.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
soylent green is people
i am heading to the knackers yard for sure

you never know what is in the food these days

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

How about you? Are you confident you will be taken care of when you can't handle life on your own when you get really old? The scale is one to ten. Loving spouse and children and grand children pushes your rating to ten or almost ten.

I'm 31 and I think they have already made arrangements in a nursing home for me

Honestly I am banking on a robot body so I won't have to deal with the issue!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Time's coming for everybody... divorced early, no kids. Living with friends far away.
The morning my feet are too swollen to get the NB's on: it's the Buntline blutwurst.
I suppose that means I'll be taking care of myself; unless I can get some nice young psychopath with a select fire M4 roped into the detail.
I actually hadn't considered making this long a slug trail on the glass coffee table..

edit on 20-2-2014 by derfreebie because: I'm just a bundle of joy today ain't I

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

edit on 20-2-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Hopefully no-one. If I reach a point where I'm no longer able to look after myself then nature should take it's course and it's time for me to go. The worst thing I can imagine is burdening someone else because I'm so decrepit I can't wipe my own butt without assistance. It'd be humiliating and embarrassing to me and soul destroying for the poor bastard that has to run around after me cleaning up my mess.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Me ,myself,and I. I refuse to be a burden for my children,and I would rather die than be put in a home.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   

edit on 2/20/2014 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I plan on staying in my own home with a helper who I'll pay for using my Long Term Care insurance from MedAmerica. My son and his family are close by, as well as my sisters, so together we will hold it together. Oh, and I'm very anti pharma, I figure the longer I can stay away from all the meds, the better the quality of life.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Random strangers paid to. most likely. People with fake smiles but who need me only to pay their bills. At the expense of the tax payer of course.

Hopefully I'm too senile to care and the most important thing in my day will be whether or not the apple sauce if sweet enough. Because going in, it has to be.

edit on 20-2-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

By the time I'm old there should be robots to take care of the elderly, however affording one of these robots is another question.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's a good question. Each of my parents moved to a slightly remote area away from all of the kids. I hope they have a plan because no one lives close enough to help them. We've tried addressing the "what ifs" with them, especially since they went through hell with their own aging parents...but they don't want to discuss it.

On a broader perspective...almost an entire genration, Gen X, is aging and we don't have the home equity, retirement and benefits that our parent's had to carry us through. Hell, some don't even have jobs anymore.

It's going to get crazy, that's for sure.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

That's just wishful thinking. Sorry, but it is.

My grandparent's said the same exact thing.

Both grandmother's ended up in a nursing home because they couldn't care for themselves. One with Alzheimer's, one with multiple strokes. The one who stroked tried to make it at home with nurse care...it was deplorable care and OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. My remaining grandfather is the picture of health...except for a bad knee that he is too old to have operated on...one fall and this proud, capable man who vowed to never go to an "old folks home" will likely break his hip or worse and need around the clock care.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

On your scale i am prob a 2. Honestly If i dont get a robot body i will be a bit disappointed. Maybe i'll start playing the lottery.

Im self employed, not married, no kids, insurance for me would be astronomical. It would prob be cheaper if i built my own robot body.

I think it would be nice if society/government took care of things like this. But that would mean they would have 1 less bomb they could drop on a school yard or a childrens hospital or something like that.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by droid56

Well I have been thinking about it a lot lately, Even though I'm 24 and no children and not married....(yet)

In Malta healthcare is free and quite descent really and large families, like mine tend to have each member of the family set up for life around mid 20s I say. Where you end up finding a career job or working for the family business and most parents in Malta try to save up then demolish the family home they had bought and rebuild to make flats/apartments then each child can have a flat (rent/mortgage free) and the spare flats tend to be rented for income. This isn't the whole of the Island but pretty much everyone I know that's part of a Maltese family has a similar sort of set up, like an bricks and mortar insurance if you will. Money wise it is good, but when you need constant care, that can be a huge burden on the younger family but then again the culture is to endure for your parents/grandparents as they endured to give you a comfortable lifestyle and so on. I think I would be a high number about 8-9 except I do not want to be a burden for my future wife or children/close family.

So I keep on smoking and drinking

Live life every day because no matter where you live and in my case Malta (which is still some 50years behind in many ways)
You never know when the day will come when the government decides to cut this or that and not to mention how easy it is to feel comfortable and that can cause the future to be harder because we today expect what we got decades ago and did nothing (most likely couldn't) back when we could..... Now here we are future uncertain, our golden years looking bleak. Nothing is ever as good as it was. Good ol' Nostalgia!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have my fiance, that might raise my chances a bit.
Truth be told however, I'd like to be on permanent retirement before I'm too old to watch over myself.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Not as long as I have a sound enough mind to walk out of a facility. In all honesty,were my health going downhill,I would distance myself from family and society as a whole. My children are already aware of my intentions,and fully understand my reasons.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Well, at least you have a plan and have thought it out.
Most don't.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Probably carers from various third world countries.

Who will doubtless be conversing with one another in some obscure tongue/tongues as they unceremoniously yank me from my chair and toss me carelessly into bed.

That's if my current observations as a nurse are anything to go by.

I'll be slightly surprised if, in my 80s, there are any home-grown carers left in the western world.

And that's something which ought to be of grave concern to us all.

Ethnocultural connections ARE important, don't let any liberal, bed-wetting marxist tell you otherwise...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join