It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geek Therapy: Comics as Psychological Treatment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

A band of renegade therapists has been treating patients with something a bit unorthodox: superheroes. Just think of them as the Justice League of comic book treatment.

A long read, but I found it fascinating. As a lifelong comic fan, now in my 40s, comics shaped the way I saw the world during a very tumultuous and violent filled childhood. This article was fascinating to me and gave me pause to think how much they colored my optimistic view of life despite a lot of early difficulties.

We’re all aware of the basic transformative properties of popular culture——namely, its ability to cheer you up, to make you laugh, and to make you cry. But the thought of using comic books, superheroes, and other mythical creatures as a legitimate psychological treatment——like that boy and his psychologist did with the dragon and Wonder Woman——is something that still exists on the fringes, kept alive by a small group of therapists. To them, heroes like Superman are more than entertainment, they’re a way to understand and analyze our deepest fears.

Comic Book Therapy

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumKat

I think it's a super idea!

So long as it doesn't result in this:

new topics

join