It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take A Look At This Nonsense

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

If only it was a conspiracy instead of just plain ignorance. I might actually feel better about the whole thing.

Unfortunately as it stands it shows me that a large group of people in the US don't understand where they came from, or why they did for that matter. They also don't understand the irony of being against one thing, yet for another that is worst in the list of 'faux pas'

You can say it's just a few tweets, but lets not forget the Superbowl fiasco, that was far more than just a few tweets.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So is your issue with the fact that these people are exercising their right to Free Speech or do you have a problem with them actually believing in something.

The fact that this nation no longer thinks that it needs a moral compass is a part of the problem with society. These people feel strongly in what they believe and it bothers me not that they voice their concerns. It is their right.

The lack of pride in our country is what will ultimately lead to its downfall.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

So is your issue with the fact that these people are exercising their right to Free Speech or do you have a problem with them actually believing in something.

It doesn't have anything to do with either of the two things you've mentioned. My issue is spelled out quite clear.

They are upset over something they don't even understand the meaning of.

The fact that this nation no longer thinks that it needs a moral compass is a part of the problem with society.

Well no, that's your opinion, and you have the right to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

These people feel strongly in what they believe and it bothers me not that they voice their concerns. It is their right.

That's true, but it doesn't make their opinions any less stupid.

The lack of pride in our country is what will ultimately lead to its downfall

Pretty sure the MURICA GUNS & JESUS craze of the last 20 years is what led to America's downfall. A little too much Patriotism and Nationalism if you ask me.

~Tenth
edit on 2/20/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

It's a pity that a show set in the future didn't have a replacement to "Under God" inserted. I suggest the insertion should be, "Under Drones" it's even topical, since that mass deployment of drones is right now.

edit on 20-2-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I pretty sure that your calling an entire sub-set of the American populace "ignorant" is your opinion and not fact. They spoke out on something that is personally important to them. You get on to the forum and start calling names at people that have a different belief system than you.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

I'm a bit confused?

Let's list the FACTS shall we?

They are complaining, that one nation under God, was removed from the pledge.

The original pledge, did not contain this language.

They don't know this.

That is the definition of ignorant. They are un-aware of the information required to have an informed opinion.

So they have an un-informed opinion. How am I supposed to take that seriously?

I respect their beliefs and agree that it certainly is their right. It's also my right to ignore them outright for not having the intellectually honesty to know something about what they are upset about.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are outraged over a fictional representation of a future scenario that happens to have the same wording as it was originally penned years ago?

Okay...

And we are discussing it thereby giving it some import?

Okay...

Wake me up for the next phony outrage on either side and I'll weigh in with an *eye roll*. LoL!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm sorry if it's not to your liking, but symbolism for nationalism or even tribalism goes back several thousand years of human history.

Coincidentally so does war and all the tragedy it brings. I guess thats okay? Its always gone on and everyone does it…

I tend to embrace tradition that predates history as I know it.

Thats how we set aside our reason and individuality and adopt the mob mentality, or what some might call "Nationalism".

I'm certainly not going to take on the hubris of believing I'm in any position to declare the beliefs of others to be a 'ruse'.

I didn't declare the beliefs of others to be a ruse. I stated that a ruse was perpetrated on them. That indoctrinating children with ritualistic oaths before they even understand is the beginning part of the process that misleads them eventually to "make war" instead of peace.

Some of us blindly are led by the paradigm and others of us question it. In a "free" country, anyway.

You know, all those kids wouldn't be so quick to pick up a rifle and shoot others in far away lands if they hadn't been molded to it from early on by such Icons as a flag. Of course some might say we are "defending America's interests" which is a lot of rubbish.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Could it be possible, just maybe, the writers felt with the arrival of an alien species we were no longer the center the universe and society would have dropped the God references.
I find this as more of a point of conversation than the simple changing of the wording in the plegde to the flag.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

With real judge ruling on real world things, I have no idea how the words "under God" still are present in a loyalty oath that American schoolchildren are pressured to take on a daily basis. Is this still the case, do schools still make the kids swear their loyalty to god and country in the U.S.?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well .. ATS is for opinions ... so here's mine.

1 - Good manners says - If there is a pledge, say it as it is or don't bother. Otherwise, it's just mocking.

however ... in this case ...

2 - It's a FICTIONAL TV SHOW. So there is nothing to get upset about.
If you don't like it, then don't watch it.

Common sense stuff.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Coincidentally so does war and all the tragedy it brings. I guess thats okay? Its always gone on and everyone does it…

War is a part of the human experience. Has been since the first group of cavemen went 'ooga booga' at a neighboring group of cavemen who then proceeded to club their sorry flintstone tails into rubble for the insult.

In real terms... I don't like war, I don't favor war..but I'll accept war and for two very important reasons. First, most innovation in human history has, through one means or another, come from war or preparation for war. Perhaps not always the finished product but underlying tech is often rooted in the boom of conflict from modern society back to the Greeks and their mystical Fire.

Second..... We think we have population problems now? Europe would look much closer to India or China for wall to wall people if 10's of millions hadn't passed in World War I and II, had gone on to breed more, and exponentially, those spread to breed more and onward to present day.

It's a sorry way to WANT to see balance...but when it comes by no choice of our own, it's also something to accept with mixed outcomes, overall. Nothing is simple in life, eh?

Thats how we set aside our reason and individuality and adopt the mob mentality, or what some might call "Nationalism".

I can put it another way if it helps... Until recently, seeing the United States Navy show up usually gave people one of two feelings. Joy or fear. Joy of relief supplies, training or aid......or fear for being about to suffer our version of an ugly Hello!. Either was born in respect and before 2001, it was MUCH MUCH more likely to be a CVBG showing up to render aid or supply help following an event or disaster than to kill people (Bosnia not withstanding, perhaps)....

So, until my nation went to one of perpetual war, we had our problems..but not so that we couldn't have fixed them without losing all standing on the planet in the process.....that's no longer the case, but I'm still proud of my nation and it's people as well as culture. I just hang my head in shame at what we call leadership of it...and what the leadership does in our name, world wide.

I didn't declare the beliefs of others to be a ruse. I stated that a ruse was perpetrated on them.

I saw what you said, and I'll grant that it means that to you, not being able to relate to reciting the pledge with true heartfelt meaning...and not obligation, at best. To many of us though, it came across much the other way, as an FYI, even if not entirely intended.

You know, all those kids wouldn't be so quick to pick up a rifle and shoot others in far away lands if they hadn't been molded to it from early on by such Icons as a flag.

If they aren't ready to take up a rifle and fight, then they better be ready to take a knee and give tribute. The US has spent half a century as King or co-King of the world as a Superpower. We've made a world of enemies....and if we turn belly up to go weak kneed at this moment in history? It's not generosity or kind hearted thinking....it's asinine levels of stupidity asking for invasion and destruction.

Our enemies have NOT forgotten us or why we became enemies...and given the opportunity, that extends well beyond the Middle East for people who'd love to take a crack at us if they could get away with it (or be a part of a much larger group of nations). So again... Our future generations, even if we made sincere peace TODAY...had better be ready to fight to defend that stand, as absurd as it sounds, for the sins of the past others will VERY MUCH want to return upon us.
edit on 20-2-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Maybe I heard wrong, but I thought they removed "under God" years ago.

edit on 20-2-2014 by Im2keul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In real terms... I don't like war, I don't favor war..but I'll accept war and for two very important reasons. First, most innovation in human history has, through one means or another, come from war or preparation for war. Perhaps not always the finished product but underlying tech is often rooted in the boom of conflict from modern society back to the Greeks and their mystical Fire.

Second..... We think we have population problems now? Europe would look much closer to India or China for wall to wall people if 10's of millions hadn't passed in World War I and II, had gone on to breed more, and exponentially, those spread to breed more and onward to present day.

You accept war because you like the toys it gives us?

It's good because it keeps down the population?

You argue that we're supposed to pledge allegiance - if not to our government, then to our country and more importantly it's people...

Then, to what exactly are you allied Wrabbit?

You lost me when I saw you repeatedly use the word breed - it's a real clue to how you actually see and value humanity

edit on 2/20/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Ignorance? Really? Defense of personal religious beliefs via deciding not to watch a program which disagrees with those beliefs is ignorance? This ideocracy of demanding total and complete capitulation is ridiculous. Irony: Getting pissed off and raising a stink over somebody getting pissed off and raising a stink...

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

You can say it's just a few tweets, but lets not forget the Superbowl fiasco, that was far more than just a few tweets.

Im not talking about the Super Bowl, Im talking about a few tweets that were spun into a news-story on the ideologically biased "Raw Story" mag and then regurgitated by you to stick it to those big bad "ignorant Christians and Conservatives". Most of your threads are written from that ideological bubble. (I`d say the same if you were writing from the conservative-bubble).

Yours is a bubbly bubble universe. I must know at least five hundred Christians personally, and I'd bet that not a single one would be the least bit interested in this item, let alone protest it. These days any uneducated moron tweets.

The stuff many of many of these kind of threads is the aggrandizement of a very small minority of utter nutcases on the right. So you, for example, enthusiastically report it when Westboro Baptist Church campaigns about "God hating Fags", even though this fringe of the fringe, societal trash has nothing to do with decent and normal folk. Why aggrandize and foul-cherry-pick such stories? Because you believe there is some kind of mass-ignorance or conspiracy "from the right".

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I remember that show! It was called Alien Nation.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

So you're actually denying there's a significant portion of folks that want the USA to be a Christian Nation? That they have no problem inserting God into government? Why shouldn't someone point out when people of that sect get all outraged because "under God' was taken out of a fictional show, it never should have been ADDED to the original in the first place!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

mOjOm
I just hope that the people making the show or the station execs don't put forth some kind of apology saying how they regret the decision and how now someone get's fired over this, etc. etc.

Please tell me they are going to stand their ground and tell these f**ing cry babies to just change the channel to Pat Robertson next time then!!

I'm so sick of everyone saying sorry because they say something some Fundi doesn't like because of their mythology. I mean just grow a pair for once and don't give in to yet another group of whiny non-thinkers.

Just this once.....Have some dignity and self respect......come on, ya know ya want to.....

Oooo, I like this. I just wish we could say the next time ANYONE gets their collective panties in a wad. If I can be told this for getting offended, then so can libs, gays, atheists. et. al.

After all, what's good for the Christian is good for all the rest of you ganders.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I'll take things that are actually offensive for 1,000 Alex!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join