It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does ordering college books gotta be so frakking DIFFICULT????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
As I told you guys earlier, I'm in school to get my bachelors in Simulation and Game Design, taking the classes thru Southern New Hampshire University, and last semester and the upcoming semester, I have to jump thru hoops of fire to ORDER MY BOOKS!!!!!

This isnt my first time in college either, last time I did, it was the same issue, trying to get the bookstore to get my book voucher from financial, and in that school, they were two doors down from each other!!!
So damn ANNOYING TO HAVE TO CALL 3-4 times, then be on hold each time for at least 30 mins, then try to order them online which doesnt work to have to call back AGAIN to get a supervisor to order the damn books, just so I can have them on time for semester start!
Its not like they have to mail me the books either, im just trying to order the ebooks!!!
**headwall smash*

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Can you purchase the book and then be reimbursed? Just wondering.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Sometimes you can find textbooks (or books in general) for pretty low prices if you use dealoz. That site lets you compare new, used, rental, etc. Best of luck to you though.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I dont know how your finance thing works, but if you can rent them (or buy them) from Chegg I would strongly suggest that. Renting my books through them saved me over $800 just this semester versus shopping at the book store.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Books were an unfortunate deal breaker for me this college semester. I normally go through Amazon to find the books, which I do most of the time and find them for half of the cost. Even the ones labelled as "good" instead of "barely used", "new" looked good enough for me with those kinds of prices.

Best of luck. Hopefully someone in the comment section can be of some use to you.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
75% of the time I use Amazon for my book orders whether renting or buying, but I get them early. I don't do e-books regularly but I know Amazon has a large collection of them. Can you borrow the money from someone early before school starts, get your books online and then pay the person back when you get your aid?

The whole textbook system is frustrating, 150.00 a book wth? not to mention wacky hours and rude workers, but in the end you end up with a degree so I guess it evens out later.

edit on 19-2-2014 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I finally got my books. I HAVE to use the school's bookstore because I'm using my VA benefits and they're really strict on about where you procure your books at. I dont get the physical books, I get an access code (still costs about 100.00 or so) so I can access my books via computer or ipad
My next step is to figure out their 'easy' system they use in order to access my books.
I swear, you need a degree in computer science to GET your degree it feels like!!

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
We usually use Amazon. The REALLY bad thing about college texts ... the freak'n high price. It's absurd. The books cost way too much and they know they can get the $$ because you are stuck buying them no matter what.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
You could always try to see if others that have taken the same courses have the books on hand - I was able to avoid a lot of my costs from this alone.

I feel your pain though - When I was in college, they gave us calculus books that were clearly oriented for TI-83 - TI-84's (an awesome calculator imo), and when we brought it up, they gave us solar-powered calcs - Thankfully, I still had my 84 from high school, and not only that, but I knew what to do with pencil & paper.

Sometimes, I think they don't even use the material in those books to teach - all of my programming classes used the books for the programs on the CDs that came with them (why not just give us the CD?), and for definitions; everything else used the internet, and your own inventive skill to teach.

-fossilera

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
First off, congratulations for getting back in school.

I remember the horrifying aspect of books. And what a huge money making racket it is.

there are sites for college book exchanges, and getting used ones really cheap. Wish I could remember what they were but I am sure a google search will find them.

YOu can also ask on Craigslist.

Remember, they say you need a newer version because they simply changed one word or picture. That is how they keep making money and try to prefent resales. You may be able to find what changes were made and what older versions you may be able to use.

Best of luck to you this semester.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
its not the cost of the books, its the going thru all the hoops for them to actually LET you GET the books, esp if you oder online. Like I said, the VA will only allow you to get them FROM the school youre attending, and no I cant afford to buy them outright, and ask the VA for reimbursement? I'll be waiting til the end of time for that
LOL

new topics

top topics

join