It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth has another close encounter with large asteroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

LONDON: While Nasa is busy developing an Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM) — a first ever mission to identify, capture and redirect an asteroid, earth experienced a close shave with a hurtling giant.

An asteroid as big as three football fields flew past earth on Monday at 27,000 miles per hour.

Dubbed as "potentially hazardous", the asteroid came close to about two million miles from causing serious damage to the blue planet. Named 2000 EM26, the asteroid that was first discovered on March 5, 2000 was a big rocky giant — about 885 feet in diameter.

Source

The incident comes a year and two days after another asteroid ripped through the skies over Chelyabinsk, Russia and damaged thousands of buildings and injured 1200 people.

Just thought I'd post this for those that keep track of this kind of stuff
It is not a 'doom & gloom' thread, merely informational

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Was this the one they had live the other night but they could barely observe it? just pictures where they had to try find movement in. Theres also another 2 this week i think? That are potentionally hazardous.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Shana91aus

Was this the one they had live the other night but they could barely observe it? just pictures where they had to try find movement in. Theres also another 2 this week i think? That are potentionally hazardous.

Possibly so...this is from another article, same source

The 295-yard (270m ) asteroid - named 2000 EM26 - was streaking past Earth at a distance of about 2.1 million miles (3.4 million km little more than a year after another asteroid exploded on February 15, 2013, over Russia's Chelyabinsk. That asteroid injured 1,200 people following a massive shock wave that shattered windows and damaged buildings.

Slooh's flagship observatory on Mount Teide in Spain's Canary Islands was iced over and unable to be used for the 2000 EM26 viewing, Paul Cox, Slooh's technical and research director, said on the one-hour webcast. "We continue to discover these potentially hazardous asteroids - sometimes only days before they make their close approaches to Earth," Cox said in a statement before the show. He added, "We need to find them before they find us!"

Asteroid as big as 3 soccer fields gives Earth a scare

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Thanks! Thats the one, it slipped my mind they said it was iced over. Theres alot of hype over this single asteroid compared to the other 2 that i think are coming closer & just a close i will check too see if they wil be broadcasted aswell.
Thanks for the update i just figured they hadn't relocated it.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
There is a thread about it. I watched it live on youtube but they couldn't see the asteroid properly and were sent some images from Dubai to peruse.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 19-2-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Isn't this the one that is ten times further out than the Moon is? I know, I know.

"In astronomical terms this was very close!"

But save us the drama. When something comes uncomfortably close I'm all for sounding the alarm. But this is like getting upset at the stink when someone changes a baby's diaper in Indonesia.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

But save us the drama. When something comes uncomfortably close I'm all for sounding the alarm. But this is like getting upset at the stink when someone changes a baby's diaper in Indonesia.

Hence why I posted this at the bottom of the OP

Just thought I'd post this for those that keep track of this kind of stuff
It is not a 'doom & gloom' thread, merely informational

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
S&F I was watching this one. While none of these is ever supposed to come close enough to scare us, one day that will not be the case. I like to keep an eye on the skies whether it is "scary" or not... it's always interesting.

top topics

join