It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large scale ruins of Ancient City unearthed in Inner Mongolia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Large scale ruins of ancient city unearthed in Inner Mongolia

Chinese archaeologists unearthed ruins of a huge ancient city – Shengle (30 km south of Hohhot) which dates back to the late Northen Wei Dynasty (386 - 534 AD) in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.

A large-scale funerary monument of 56 ancient tombs, which date back to the Warring States period (475 BC- 211 BC) was found at the archaeological site along with burial objects and another 20 tombs in different historical period.

The rectangular remains of the ancient funerary monuments were discovered during the construction of a local economic zone by accident, according to Wang Dafang, an official with Inner Mongolia Cultural Heritage Office. Those burial objects were mainly made of pottery, bronze, iron and jade. And the ancient tombs could be traced back to three historical time periods.

This discovery offers more information for the research on history and cultural division of the ancient city and help people better understand the history of the ancient dynasties.

Well this was a short but interesting article. I seriously wish China was a bit more open on the Archaeological front. Hopefully soon, I'm dying to know what they find in the first emperors tomb. I've been fascinated with Ancient China ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

for what it's worth

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Good find- Very interesting

I wonder what those objects are or are supposed to represent. Definitely a short write-up.

Will try to keep an eye on this one for any new developments.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Wow that IS a short article.

I thought maybe you quoted an excerpt.

China is so huge it makes you wonder what else might have been found in the country that never made it to Western media.

The jade on the right in the picture reminds me of bamboo.

edit on 2/19/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

good stuff!

I agree with you that it would be cool if China opened up a bit. Their Pyramids alone would take decades to uncover and research.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

howmuch4another

good stuff!

I agree with you that it would be cool if China opened up a bit. Their Pyramids alone would take decades to uncover and research.

The last I heard about their pyramids was that they're covering all of them with forests! Makes one wonder what they're hiding.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

All of those jade objects are obviously sexual in nature.

*tongue removed from cheek* I, too, am fascinated by Chinese civ and history. I shudder to think of the puzzle pieces lost during the cultural revolution and hope to heck they open their doors a bit more to us smelly barbarians. I am also confident many surprising finds await in the deep interior.

Good find and thanks for drawing attention to it.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

VoidHawk

howmuch4another

good stuff!

The last I heard about their pyramids was that they're covering all of them with forests! Makes one wonder what they're hiding.

That is my understanding also in addition to denying permits to explore they were issuing as recently as 2010. Not wanting to derail there is reference to that in this thread also by Slayer.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

I want to know so much more about this too.

Thanks Slayer.......interesting as always.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

howmuch4another

good stuff!

Yes I wondered about those pyramids in China too. I read somewhere that the chinese government is planting trees on some of these pyramids so they will become unrecognisable. I cannot belief that chineese scientist have not already investigated some of these pyramids inside out and have discovered some interesting stuff we all would pretty much like to know too.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

I wonder from time to time if the Ancient Chinese were somehow in contact with the Olmec of Mexico?
There we also find many jade artifacts and very 'Asian" looking jade masks etc...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Um, that bottom jade artifact looks like something not only Asian, but something that could be found in many bedside table drawers anywhere.

ahem

I seem to remember a thread from the past that compared Olmec and S. American artifacts with Asian and also African artifacts. Wouldn't surprise me if it was one of your threads a couple years ago.
edit on 2/19/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Yeah, nothing concrete but it sure as heck LOOKS like there was world-wide contact of some kind... most especially between ancient Central America and Asia/Africa.

Luckily I can speculate all I want on the matter and not worry about being banished to the Siberia of Academia.

Edit addx2 : and the Chinese style anchors found in San Diego Bay certainly add a bit of physical oomph to the notion. AND the sexuality of the ancients was more all out there and less repressed than us modern, if the statuary, frescoes and murals are any indication.
edit on 2/19/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/19/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Maybe that's why the masks are almost always found smiling

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

SLAYER69
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Maybe that's why the masks are almost always found smiling

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

SLAYER69
Well this was a short but interesting article. I seriously wish China was a bit more open on the Archaeological front. Hopefully soon, I'm dying to know what they find in the first emperors tomb. I've been fascinated with Ancient China ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

Not much to add ... perhaps a little insight on the information deficit aspect. China still actively suppresses the majority of their archaeological discoveries if they can be tied in any way to historical religious practices.

I wonder why that is.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I think it's sad actually. One of the great Cradle Civs history being suppressed. I'm certainly glad there are new finds considering the volatile nature of Chinese history.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
i remember hearing somewhere that one chinese emperor was buried with rivers of mercury running through his tomb and the ceiling was made up of precious stones to resemble the night sky .

but us westernars have not always been 100% truthfull when finding wonderfull things ?

good find
i think their is a lot more in that area still to find

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Those pieces in the picture almost look like pieces of a wood casket. Oh well, I suppose the occupant didn't need it anymore.

Could be from the pockets of an ancient pool table also.
edit on 19-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

Hey, is that a broken down three piece pool cue.
edit on 19-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

999zxcv
i remember hearing somewhere that one chinese emperor was buried with rivers of mercury running through his tomb and the ceiling was made up of precious stones to resemble the night sky .

but us westernars have not always been 100% truthfull when finding wonderfull things ?

good find
i think their is a lot more in that area still to find

that would be the tomb of Emperor Qin Shi Huang. lots on google for you

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Sadly, China suppressed itself in some very real ways, I think. As recently as the end of the sailing of the Treasure Fleets in 1433, China turned isolationist and within 100 years, destroyed much if not all of the older knowledge stores they had, as well as making it a crime punishable by death to put to sea in anything with more than one mast within a short time following that shift. Pretty extreme turn around, and I almost weep at what must have been lost in that purge. After all, China was the nation prior to that who stood tall and strong while Europe wallowed in the dark ages, and on before that for a period no 'Western' power could realistically dream of unbroken history for.

Perhaps not all was destroyed back then? Maybe some enterprising soul with foresight hid things we'll still find at some point. Until then, the archaeology of China and Mongolia hold so much. I always perk up with new things in those areas.

Great thread and it's wonderful to see more of that region's history being uncovered and properly recorded for it's importance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join