It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"...."Who watches the watchmen?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
As many of you know....I have a slight distrust of LEO in general. It is more of a distrust of the entire legal system including police, prosecutors, judges and correction facilities.

To be up front and fair, I also know there are many good people in these organizations and positions but feel their bad deeds and corruption must always be brought to light as they have far too much power and therefore, their evil is magnified by their "authority."

Below are some snippets from an article by J.D. Tuccille at reason.com. He shares first hand how his family was involved with the mob and corrupt police "officials."

Enjoy.

"Ultimately, the only people watching the watchers are those realistic enough to admit that it's necessary."

Years ago, members of my extended family were gangsters connected with the Genovese crime family. They had the ability, which they used, to place people in favored positions within the New York City Police Department. I know this, because my father was offered one of those slots.

The more you give the watchmen to do, the more tempting it becomes to corrupt them, and for them to let themselves be corrupted. And the more temptation for corruption, the more the likelihood that such temptation is the main attraction for people who want to be watchmen.

Not that the NYPD should be singled out. Baltimore cops have been accused of working as muscle for drug dealers. Cops elsewhere have been drug dealers, taking advantage of the opportunity afforded by their badges to shut down competitors in the illegal but highly profitable trade and keep the opportunities for themselves

And then there are the FBI agents who got tight with Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger.

Asking police officers to suppress highly profitable activities where there's money to be had just for looking the other way is just begging for trouble.

That's enough reason to give extra thought to every job, tool, power, legal protection, and consideration given to police officers. And it's reason to turn a skeptical eye on the people we've hired to keep the peace. Because, in the end, the only people watching the watchers are those realistic enough to admit that it's necessary.

Link to full article: reason.com...

edit on 19-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

In over 40 some odd years I have yet to meet an honest police officer, I've met and known more than a few.

Some were drug dealers, some could talk about nothing other than the "guy/girl" they knocked the stuffing out of and how bad they were, some can't deal honestly with another no matter how hard they try.

When I was a youngster trying to buy my first car, I thought I could trust the cop I was buying from, had so many issues it couldn't be fixed not to mention illegal safety sticker installed....

Never met a police or RCMP that had money issues either as they all appear to live beyond what the salary would provide...go figure...just another "club/gang"....like our military here..

Cheers

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Treespeaker
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

In over 40 some odd years I have yet to meet an honest police officer, I've met and known more than a few.

Some were drug dealers, some could talk about nothing other than the "guy/girl" they knocked the stuffing out of and how bad they were, some can't deal honestly with another no matter how hard they try.

When I was a youngster trying to buy my first car, I thought I could trust the cop I was buying from, had so many issues it couldn't be fixed not to mention illegal safety sticker installed....

Never met a police or RCMP that had money issues either as they all appear to live beyond what the salary would provide...go figure...just another "club/gang"....like our military here..

Cheers

very good points....back in the 1970's and 80's....cops in my town all lived in lower middle class neighborhoods. Had ok cars but nothing fancy.

Now, I see cop cars out in front of the nicest homes in the upscale neighborhoods and their personal cars are all new and expensive.

edit on 19-2-2014 by UxoriousMagnus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
There needs to be a police Force who's only job and authority is to police the police.

Make sure they have no police powers outside of dealing with cops and give then unquestioned access to all and any police business. Also the Authority to arrest and terminate if nessecary.

Add to this laws that state that the conventional police have absolutely no power over the other police force and are not even allowed to argue with them.

Then give various community groups the power to oversee the force that polices the police.

So what you end up with is an effective and well behaved police force, a force watching them. And us watching the watchers.

everyone has a bit of power. everyone has to answer to someone.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Raivan31
There needs to be a police Force who's only job and authority is to police the police.

Make sure they have no police powers outside of dealing with cops and give then unquestioned access to all and any police business. Also the Authority to arrest and terminate if nessecary.

Add to this laws that state that the conventional police have absolutely no power over the other police force and are not even allowed to argue with them.

Then give various community groups the power to oversee the force that polices the police.

So what you end up with is an effective and well behaved police force, a force watching them. And us watching the watchers.

everyone has a bit of power. everyone has to answer to someone.

How easy it is to fall into the trap of MORE government to solve a problem.

They only solution to this is LESS government not more.

Restrict the funds that allow the police to achieve military status by ending the war on Drugs and Terror.

Both farces that have not only restricted our liberty but also endangered us more than the original problem.

We now live in a country where more citizens are killed by the police than where killed by terrorist attacks on our soil.

Less police, not more.
Less government is always the answer.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

I like your solution Raivan, even gave you a star, but a community group watching the cop police could get infiltrated, subverted and ultimately corrupted. The community group looks the other way when the cop police do some dirty work for the infiltrators.

join