It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MRI results...confused and upset.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I finally got my MRI results after cursing out my last doctor and waiting almost 2 months after shelling out $400 bucks for the MRI's. Oh and waiting 8mths to get these results.

LONG story short I have had headaches and migraines for 8 mths, it started after I had my son. I have also had constant neck pain that is unbearable along with the headaches and migraines. I did not have an easy pregnancy and had a lot of back problems while pregnant that had me stuck in bed for about 5mths. I could only get up to go to the bathroom or eat. I went to the store once a week and that took FOREVER because well I lived upstairs. I was miserable while pregnant and I am miserable now but I put on a good face. Everyone thinks i"m fine because I'm not moaning and groaning every day. I did believe me but I got tired of people saying "oh it's just a headache it will pass" or "drink more water" or "take an advil" like I hadn't done that already. I just stopped mentioning it and started making excuses as to why I didn't want to do anything when asked to go out.

Nobody sees me when i break down at night and sob for 30mins straight because I am in so much pain and nothing works to relieve it. I have anxiety attacks which I have not had in over 10yrs! I have tried so many medications and injections and nothing works. I was given Topomax recently for my migraines and well I was unable to function. I couldn't talk right nor move properly. It affected my coordination. I can't be like that with a baby to take care of! Everyone says "oh just go through the side effects they will pass." Well I don't have that option. I have only ME to look after my son and I can't be in that state of mind. ONE thing does work and I'm not a zombie and I can be ME but it's not legal here (yet) and we can't discuss it on ATS so I'll leave it at that. I am now angry that I have had this going on for so long and I can't get answers. I want to enjoy my son and not be in pain everyday. I don't leave my house because the noises irritate me so much it makes me upset and on edge. It's like knives are being shoved into my head all over. I wear foam ear plugs at home to drown out noises so I don't 'lose my mind. I have never had pain like this before pregnancy. I was very active and woke up happy and ready to go. Now I wake up and I dread the day and wait for my sons nap time and bed time so I can lay down and get some relief. I hate that. I feel like a horrible mom for feeling that way but I have nobody here to help me. My mom does when she can but she works and can't just take off to help me. My husband is overseas and comes home when he is able to. My son is becoming more active now it is getting harder because the headaches are making me dizzy and feeling weak. My hands give out at time and I'm afraid I'll drop him or something. It is just getting to be TOO much. I want to be myself again and enjoy my handsome sweet boy.

Well anyway. Sorry for the slight unload of emotion.

As for my MRI results.

The first thing is a retention cyst of the left sphenoid which I have been reading can lead to MIGRAINES/HEADACHES! Gee red flag anyone?! Yet to the doctor this isn't a concern but to me you know the one with the headaches and migraines, it IS a concern. I mean I have never had any sinus issues. I don't know where it came from or how but now i want to know if it is the cause of my migraines/headaches.

The other thing is broad disc protrusion at the C4-C5 level. I had to google this area and when I saw where it was THIS IS EXACTLY where my neck pain is! It is where the "snap crackle pop" sounds are coming from when I move my head around. I have said this so many times I feel like a broken record. The doctor though says it is nothing. How is it nothing when it's MY body and it is something to me because it is causing me pain I never had before. My neck gets so stiff sometimes that when I move it it sends a shooting pain down my neck. It hurts like hell.

I really don't know what to do now. I am going to a neurologist but that might take a while because they want so much upfront even with insurance. I mean why does my husband pay $500 a month for insurance?! Seriously what is the point when we can barely afford the visits and medicine?! I just feel not like myself and I don't like it. I want ME back.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I am sorry to hear about the health issues. However you nailed it on the head regarding insurance. Health Insurance has been, is and will continue to remain a scam until all the insurance companies are removed from the loop.

IMO it's never going to happen so my advice to everyone is to squirrel away a bag of heroin and a bottle of tequila for when things to painful to live any longer. At 48 I have no wish to live past my ability to get around freely and under my own power so I plan to enjoy my health as long as it lasts. Once it goes I hope to get just enough warning to make a certain list on ATS a bit longer.....

Look into natural anti swelling medicines. They can do wonders for neck and brain pain.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Have you tried going to a chiropractor? It would be a lot less and probably more helpful.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

If you havent already, see an Orthopedic SURGEON (not for surg, just an expert opinion from one who should know about bone-structure).

And good luck.

MS

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

mblahnikluver
ONE thing does work and I'm not a zombie and I can be ME but it's not legal here (yet) and we can't discuss it on ATS so I'll leave it at that.

Nobody should have to life like that.
I grew up watching my mother suffer greatly, and she would continue to suffer today, if not for the above mentioned treatment.
Anyway, good luck with the medical "professionals".

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I had a severe migrain, when I was much younger. It started as radiating numbness in my hand traveled up my arm to the entire right side of my face, I lost vision in my right eye. Then the pain kicked in and I can honestly say I have never been in that much in my life. Everything hurt I could feel a slight breeze bristle my hair was like every hair was a needle on fire, add being hit with a sledge hammer in the head everytime your heart beats, Light also hurt.

Turns out I had a disc in my neck out, I went to the chirpractor when I started to feel symptons again had my neck adjusted and never had to go through that again. I can only attribute it to a car wreck I was in a couple months prior I did have a really stiff neck after that and brushed it off.

I have had some really good experiences with chiropractic, some of them are out to make a buck and others really want to help. The one that wants you come back every week for the rest of your life is only interested in your $

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Take a trip down to Havana hospital and get as much testing as you want! My uncle who lives in the states did that, got diagnosed, went back to doctors in the U.S and demanded for the right treatment, which he later in turn got proper health care coverage from his insurance.

The whole insurance thing in the states boggles my mind... I live in Canada, and my girlfriend who moved from the U.K was saved from our free health care from cancer, she didn't pay a dime, for diagnosis, treatment, and therapy / check ups for 2 years after.
I hope it all works out for you! You just need to be persistent, and keep on top of everything! Pain means there is somthing wrong, and radiating pain means there is a problem that could be elsewhere in your body. Stay strong.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Oh hon, I'm so sorry to hear you have been going through all this,especially at a time in your life when you should have the most happiness. I have to agree with others,that you need to seek out a chiropractor,and get an opinion from that avenue. I sincerely hope you find relief that way. I fear for you,using other alternative therapy to cope with this. I remember years of your bubbly personality gracing ATS,and I have noticed the difference in you. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road,and you get back to your old self soon...only better!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

mblahnikluver
I finally got my MRI results after cursing out my last doctor and waiting almost 2 months after shelling out $400 bucks for the MRI's. Oh and waiting 8mths to get these results.

LONG story short I have had headaches and migraines for 8 mths, it started after I had my son. I have also had constant neck pain that is unbearable along with the headaches and migraines. I did not have an easy pregnancy and had a lot of back problems while pregnant that had me stuck in bed for about 5mths. I could only get up to go to the bathroom or eat. I went to the store once a week and that took FOREVER because well I lived upstairs. I was miserable while pregnant and I am miserable now but I put on a good face. Everyone thinks i"m fine because I'm not moaning and groaning every day. I did believe me but I got tired of people saying "oh it's just a headache it will pass" or "drink more water" or "take an advil" like I hadn't done that already. I just stopped mentioning it and started making excuses as to why I didn't want to do anything when asked to go out.

Nobody sees me when i break down at night and sob for 30mins straight because I am in so much pain and nothing works to relieve it. I have anxiety attacks which I have not had in over 10yrs! I have tried so many medications and injections and nothing works. I was given Topomax recently for my migraines and well I was unable to function. I couldn't talk right nor move properly. It affected my coordination. I can't be like that with a baby to take care of! Everyone says "oh just go through the side effects they will pass." Well I don't have that option. I have only ME to look after my son and I can't be in that state of mind. ONE thing does work and I'm not a zombie and I can be ME but it's not legal here (yet) and we can't discuss it on ATS so I'll leave it at that. I am now angry that I have had this going on for so long and I can't get answers. I want to enjoy my son and not be in pain everyday. I don't leave my house because the noises irritate me so much it makes me upset and on edge. It's like knives are being shoved into my head all over. I wear foam ear plugs at home to drown out noises so I don't 'lose my mind. I have never had pain like this before pregnancy. I was very active and woke up happy and ready to go. Now I wake up and I dread the day and wait for my sons nap time and bed time so I can lay down and get some relief. I hate that. I feel like a horrible mom for feeling that way but I have nobody here to help me. My mom does when she can but she works and can't just take off to help me. My husband is overseas and comes home when he is able to. My son is becoming more active now it is getting harder because the headaches are making me dizzy and feeling weak. My hands give out at time and I'm afraid I'll drop him or something. It is just getting to be TOO much. I want to be myself again and enjoy my handsome sweet boy.

Well anyway. Sorry for the slight unload of emotion.

As for my MRI results.

The first thing is a retention cyst of the left sphenoid which I have been reading can lead to MIGRAINES/HEADACHES! Gee red flag anyone?! Yet to the doctor this isn't a concern but to me you know the one with the headaches and migraines, it IS a concern. I mean I have never had any sinus issues. I don't know where it came from or how but now i want to know if it is the cause of my migraines/headaches.

The other thing is broad disc protrusion at the C4-C5 level. I had to google this area and when I saw where it was THIS IS EXACTLY where my neck pain is! It is where the "snap crackle pop" sounds are coming from when I move my head around. I have said this so many times I feel like a broken record. The doctor though says it is nothing. How is it nothing when it's MY body and it is something to me because it is causing me pain I never had before. My neck gets so stiff sometimes that when I move it it sends a shooting pain down my neck. It hurts like hell.

I really don't know what to do now. I am going to a neurologist but that might take a while because they want so much upfront even with insurance. I mean why does my husband pay $500 a month for insurance?! Seriously what is the point when we can barely afford the visits and medicine?! I just feel not like myself and I don't like it. I want ME back.

your doctor sounds like he was a military doctor,they practice like everyone is a liar or just a pansy.either way, you need a second opinion with someone else not affiliated with the current doctor

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
All I can chime in is: Be very vocal in your care. I went through a health nightmare last year and it was amazing how much noise this shy, quiet girl had to make. Nearly two weeks in hospital just to get a diagnosis, I literally had to chase a doctor through the hospital with my nurse in tow after threatening to pack up and leave. If it wasn't so serious and expensive it would have been comical.

Let's just say the more pain you are in, the easier it is to make an ugly fuss. Make one. Nail your doctor down point blank with how the money you spend is going to get you results and relief. Demand an answer or options. It's their job. I hope you manage the healthcare gauntlet and are enjoying life again soon so you can focus on your baby!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Mamatus
I am sorry to hear about the health issues. However you nailed it on the head regarding insurance. Health Insurance has been, is and will continue to remain a scam until all the insurance companies are removed from the loop.

The last time I had insurance was in 2007 and it was SOOOO different! I am shocked at how bad it's gotten. Doctors are so quick to assume you are there for pills or they just assume you eat badly. It really irks me.

IMO it's never going to happen so my advice to everyone is to squirrel away a bag of heroin and a bottle of tequila for when things to painful to live any longer. At 48 I have no wish to live past my ability to get around freely and under my own power so I plan to enjoy my health as long as it lasts. Once it goes I hope to get just enough warning to make a certain list on ATS a bit longer.....

Look into natural anti swelling medicines. They can do wonders for neck and brain pain.

I am trying to find an all natural holistic doctor here but I don't even know how to search for one and I'm sure insurance probably won't cover it. I was referred to a dietician for cholesterol and my insurance will only cover it if I'm obese but they'll cover Crestor which I refused to take. I'm sorry but that stuff is BAD news and I'd rather live thanks lol. My doctor says the cholesterol can be genetic and doesn't always have to do with diet. My sister had the same problem after she had her son and it corrected itself. She is retesting me to make sure the first tests done by the previous doctor are still the same. I am very picky about what foods I eat and what I don't. I don't do processed or boxed foods and I cut out my pasta intake by over half
If I eat pasta it's made by me or I buy this imported veggie pasta I get at Big Lots of all places.

I did get a book called "Healing The Gerson Way" and it's all about using natural remedies for such ailments and other diseases. I've flipped through it but haven't had a chance to really get into it. I think I'll find some good advice in that book. Just reading the reviews made me want to get it. So I'm more hopeful with natural than medicinal because all medicinal seems to do is make me feel even worse.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

calstorm
Have you tried going to a chiropractor? It would be a lot less and probably more helpful.

I am so sorry for what you are going through.

I was advised not to go to one until I see a neurologist. She did recommend massage but unless insurance covers it I can't afford it. I was also told to try Yoga. I know Yoga is very good for many ailments and just in general. I have tried it in the past and it was hard for me because I have a hard time sitting still. lol I am trying it again. I did get some yoga channels on the roku the other day and will try it in the morning. I got a mat and am ready to try it this time for real. I will do it while my son naps or before he wakes up in the morning.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

shifferbrains
I had a severe migrain, when I was much younger. It started as radiating numbness in my hand traveled up my arm to the entire right side of my face, I lost vision in my right eye. Then the pain kicked in and I can honestly say I have never been in that much in my life. Everything hurt I could feel a slight breeze bristle my hair was like every hair was a needle on fire, add being hit with a sledge hammer in the head everytime your heart beats, Light also hurt.

Turns out I had a disc in my neck out, I went to the chirpractor when I started to feel symptons again had my neck adjusted and never had to go through that again. I can only attribute it to a car wreck I was in a couple months prior I did have a really stiff neck after that and brushed it off.

I have had some really good experiences with chiropractic, some of them are out to make a buck and others really want to help. The one that wants you come back every week for the rest of your life is only interested in your $

Oh wow that had to be horrible. I do have shooting pains, numbness and tingling in both arms. It gets annoying and sometimes I freak and think I'm having a heart attack.

I was told to wait on a chiropractor til i saw a neurologist. I would like an adjustment. I always joke about being a chiropractors dream because I've never been to one and I could use an adjustment for sure. My neck pain is exactly where the disc problem is in my MRI and sometimes I will move my neck the wrong way and it pops and I have relief for about an hour and I"m like YAY and then the pain slowly comes back.

I was in an accident 2yrs ago this year. I was hit head on by a drunk driver. Long story short, I had no insurance so I didn't get any care. I had PT for about a month til my insurance ran out. Nobody would see me or do anything because I had no insurance. I didn't have any neck problems after my accident. Most of my problems started after I had my son. I am wondering if with the accident and then the added weight i was carrying and the back problems I had while pregnant could had done something to my neck. I have no idea. I only have guesses because I have not been told anything about it.

Funny you mention the last part about chiropractors out for a buck. I knew one years ago through my job and he use to say that all the time and he was a chiropractor! He said you should only see one about 3 times and any that want you back weekly only want your money. I liked his honesty. He also did acupressure and I loved when he came in because he would adjust my knee and lower back with just a few pressure points. It was amazing!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
If I knew your typical diet during the week and and what supplements you are taking I might be able to help a bit. The crackling in the neck sounds like either too much calcium or not enough magnesium in the diet. The sinus issue may be a problem with metabolizing milk, a condition I have. I can eat real butter and some cheeses with little problems, but milk, sour creams, and yogurts are a problem. It causes inflamation in the sinuses, which could lead to what you are experiencing. Eat some pineapple or some grapefruit, the enzymes may help with this. Eat more onions and think about eating some good chow chow. It has turmeric in it which also relieves inflamation.

I don't know what medicines you are on. Some of them can disrupt enzymes that can lead to inflamation. Too many free glutamates can cause inflamation also. Like I said the cysts are sometimes caused by inflamation. Also, the migrains I used to have went away when I started to take a multimineral tablet containing sodium molybate, look up the cheese headache.
edit on 19-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Hi OP, I am so sorry for your pain, I know exactly what you are feeling. Many years ago I herniated discs at C-4 and C-5 I thought I had died and gone to hell. Everything you are experiencing is exactly what I went through. Go to a Chiropractor as soon as you possibly can, I can not stress that enough. There are many things besides manipulation that can be done to start allieviating the pain. And it doesn't always take meds. Rickymouse gave some great advice on diet and that too will help. Another thing, get a pillow that supports your neck, it doesn't have to be a cerivcal pillow, I use just a standard latex pillow, Bed Bath and Beyond, $29.
)

My Chiropractor when he found I had no insurance reduced the office call by half and I know he did proceedures like using the tiens machine or massage and never charged me, he even did Reiki on me. But most importantly he got me through this with no meds and no surgery. A surgeon is always going to recommend surgery. Me myself, I chose no surgery because it was so close to my brain stem. The good news is that I have learned to keep myself from pain, if I pay attention to what I do I'm fine. If I lift something too heavy ect then I'm going to pay with one of "migraine headaches" You too will learn to compensate.

OP I truly know how you feel, know that there is relief for this. I don't want to tell someone what to do especially with ones health, but I would seek out the care of a Chiropractor before I would ever go to a surgeon, but thats me. I dearly hope you find some relief from your pain soon.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

chiropractors usually have a person who does massage for people who are really stiff before they get their adjustment....do you have any neighbors that can help you?,, other moms in the area,,,the local church(even if you are not religious they can help)

yoga is good, I would suggest listening to binaural beats... it is masked in the music, must listen with headphones beat is different in each ear,pick one for relaxation and your brainwaves will be set to that, no concentrating on anything. But you said you are so sensitive to sound so I don't know if you could do it.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) for you, hope you feel better, and don't afraid to ask for a little help...like someone else said, raise a ruckus with the dr if you have to.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Dont go to a neurologist, go see a PT for the herniated neck disc. I have a C5/C6 herniation and they can definitely cause migraines. The PT will put you on a rehab routine to deal with the muscular issues which either caused or are exacerbating the herniation.

Until then, take 800mg of ibuprofen every day to both reduce the pain and the inflammation. Over the head stretches on a foam roll will help as well.

Here is the foam roll (be sure to get one long enough to go from the bottom of your talibone to the top of your head): www.power-systems.com...

Here are some excercies: foamrollercoach.com...

Just my advice by the way. Although I was a medic once upon a time in a former life, this certainly isn't my expertise.
edit on 19-2-2014 by SirMike because: I'm bad!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

God, you sound like me.

What I needed was not insurance, but a good doctor. When I finally got one, he not only referred me straight away to a neurologist who specialized in migraine, but when my neck started giving me exactly the same kind of trouble you are talking about (can you look over your shoulder? I couldn't), after trying a couple courses of anti-inflammatory to see if that would knock it, he referred me to a specialist who had me go through some tests, physical therapy, and I finally wound up at a surgeon.

They thought I had a herniated disc, but when they got in to do the surgery, they discovered that I simply did not have a large enough nerve canal so they widened it out.

You have no idea the relief!

I don't know what your insurance allows, but don't be afraid to seek second opinions as much as you can. If your current doctor isn't being helpful, then maybe another might be better.

And I sympathize with the migraine medications. Before we found my current maintenance medication (it just so happens Topamax works for me), I was rotated through about five others with varying degrees of side effects. It's frustrating, but eventually, when you find that combination when you find it will make it all worthwhile.

Just hang in there.

Clarification: I have had migraines for years, since grade school, long before I developed the neck problem, but the neck problems certainly made the migraines worse because it become a trigger.
edit on 19-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about your pain. God/(insert your source of spirituality/higher power if appropriate) love ya!

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but have you had your hormones evaluated? The reason I ask is because I am a mom of 2 boys and 1 girl. Some say it is an old wives tale, but I promise you that post-partum, and only with the boys, I had hormone imbalances. The theory is that there is residual testosterone freely moving about your body from creating those wonderful males.
I won't go into details here because it is a public forum, but you can always pm me if you want to discuss the signs, etc.

Now, I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt, but it would be worth it to see an endocrinologist if insurance allows, and you haven't out ruled the hormones.

If not, here are a couple of relatively safe temporary ideas to try to see if they help as they are relatively cheap.
First, try strongly brewed spearmint tea at least 1x daily. See if you notice any differences in a week or two.
A second suggestion is Chinese skull cap herb if you can't tolerate the tea.

It also occurs to me that the stresses of being a single mom because your husband is away working amplifies the pain. Believe me, my husband is gone with business trips a few times a year and that takes a huge toll on me. So, make sure that you take a lot of TLC for yourself and treat yourself as much as you can.

Best to you!
Please keep us updated.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I know this won't help ... but all I can say is ... you aren't alone.
A lot of what you said about how you feel, emotionally and physically, I can relate to.
It's frustrating and maddening. Literally. And it seriously puts 'faith' to the test.
(and my faith failed the test).

I know it doesn't help, but just know that I'm thinking of you and hope the best for you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join