It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YVO Releases Statement About New Episode of Ground Uplift at Yellowstone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
In an information statement released Feb 18, the YVO notes that a new episode of ground uplift is occurring:

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY INFORMATION STATEMENT
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:31 AM MST (Tuesday, February 18, 2014 16:31 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (VNUM #325010)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

Since late summer 2013, the Yellowstone GPS network has tracked a small ground deformation episode in north-central Yellowstone National Park. During the past five months, the NRWY GPS station has recorded about 3.5 cm (1.4 in) of uplift and about 1 cm (0.4 in) of southeastward ground movement, relative to a stable reference station north of the Park. Measurements from other GPS stations in northern Yellowstone show smaller displacements, forming a circular pattern of deformation consistent with a minor pressurization, about 6 to 10 km (4-6 miles) deep, near Norris Junction.

Similar patterns of ground deformation have occurred before in this part of Yellowstone. From 1996 through 2003 the Norris Geyser Basin rose about 12 cm, before beginning to subside in 2004. More information about this event is available Here. (Edited for correct link)

Episodes of ground deformation, which occur commonly in Yellowstone and at other dormant volcanoes around the world, pose no direct volcanic hazards, nor do they imply that an eruption is pending. They do, however, create a scientific opportunity to better understand the geologic processes at work in Yellowstone and elsewhere. YVO and other scientists are pursuing this opportunity, and will continue to monitor the ground deformation closely.

UNAVCO, a YVO member agency, operates the Yellowstone GPS network.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

I am trying to get more information on their views about all the recent seismicity around the Norris Geyser Basin, and how it might be connected to this uplift, if at all. I also have asked if there has been any heat signature change.

I will update thread as more info becomes available.

[edited per OP]

Anyway, this episode of ground lift appears to be business as usual at YS. We'll have to keep an eye on it though in case it keeps going too far up, or in case the RATE of that ground uplift changes. I will post any other tidbits I can acquire from scientists.
edit on Wed Feb 19th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Feb 21 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Ok so, from further information gathered in the nether world, there does not appear to be any significant heat signature change. Raw temperature data might possibly be put on the web in the future, so PuterMan types can create their own custom graphs of it.
But don't hold your breath on that. It might not be. We remain at the mercy of the data Gods.

And word has it that the seismicity probably does relate to the uplift, since it appears to correlate well in space and time with the ground deformation. Little birdies also point out that (those clever little birdies!) it is not surprising, since the last disturbance at Norris this was also the case. Uplift creates a "perturbation in the stress field," which in turn can cause small earthquakes. So it could simply be following a recurring pattern of uplift causing quakes. But that is not assumed. It also might not be following a pattern.

Note that in contrast, caldera subsidence can also create quakes. I suppose if you had a colossal magma chamber under you, you'd shake a little too. Uplift is expressed as a pressurization from below. Whether that is coming from the hydrothermal system (steam) or from direct magma pressure has so far not been either determined, or expressed to me. But at a geyser basin, it stands to reason that there is a lot of water and steam. So it may not necessarily be magma causing it. It heaves. It hoes. It is Yellowstone.

And a note to those who erroneously think that the USGS is suppressing data, or hiding information about YS: Have you ever even visited the YVO's site and seen the extensive amount of coverage and data they provide about this caldera? Or would that shatter your conspiratorial illusions so hard that you'd go running to mama? Awwww.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

We have been bombarded with energy from the sun lately. It causes tremendous pressure on the earth and we have seen it in quakes all around the world.

Yellowstone is an earth killer and she is over due. Let us pray she decides to stay quiet.

The Bot

new topics

join