It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity inherently discriminatory

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The question one might ask is when did Christianity become discriminatory?

What changed?

Certainly Christianity didn't. It's still basically the same that it has always been. Like it, accept it, or not.

But it became "discriminatory" when behaviors that were once seen as sin stopped being considered a sin by society.

Society has changed. So now society looks at Christianity with disdain.

I don't consider it discriminatory at all. I take in account the human influences (good and bad) that have shaped Christianity and take from it what I want to enable my faith.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Context is very important.

Here's an example:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

See the post above yours.

Anyway you say only the Ten commandments apply now. Where is the quote from Jesus that says that?

Ever wonder why Jewish people don't stone their disobedient children?

Not really. I never wondered about it because it looks to me like people of all faiths pick and chose what to follow while ignoring the rest.

Love thy neighbor...hah..not hardly. That seems to be another part that has been discarded.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Not really. I never wondered about it because it looks to me like people of all faiths pick and chose what to follow while ignoring the rest.

That really doesn't surprise me. You like to hold Christian feet to the fire over leviticus but you've never bothered to ask yourself if JEWISH PEOPLE (of whom Jesus was one) do the same thing. Maybe it would be beneficial to you in the future to look into rabbinical law and the various beliefs of Judaism? Takkanah is a good place to start. Rabbinical laws have been changed and revised for thousands of years now. Judaism is not a completely static religion, but rather large parts of it are dynamic.

Using portions of Leviticus (or other OT texts) as an attack on Christianity is poor form, and completely irrelevant. I guess it makes Christianity's detractors feel good though, and they can hum and haw and pat each other on the backs over something they didn't actually understand in the first place.
edit on 19-2-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Indigent
Just because you are doom to hell for not being a cristian not matter what you do?

Nah never,
just a bit?

Well, that takes all the Jews out of consideration, as well as Melchizedek and Nebuchadnezzar, and quite a few others that I expect to see in Heaven. While we cannot stretch "all paths to God are right" out of the Bible, there's clearly mention of people who were not Christians that clearly followed God. And there's mention of God moving Christians to those who were seeking, under Christianity (Cornelius and the Eunuch).

Part of the problem is that it's kind of confusing when we're thinking about it in terms of MERIT. No Christian MERITS salvation. They wear borrowed righteousness from Christ--which is why Christianity is THROUGH Christ in the first place.

I really don't know how many outside of Christ will make it there, in the end. That's between them and God. I just happen to be very sure of my way--because it wasn't mine in the first place.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

Of course it is . What is this thread , the Spanish Inquisition ? .............

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I've always thought that religion, by its very nature, creates an "us versus them" dichotomy.

You're either a follower of Christ, and therefore going to Heaven; or you're in league with the Devil and going to burn in Hell forever. You're either a servant of the Olympians who created the Universe and everything in it; or you're a barbarian without culture, wisdom, or class. You're either awake and enlightened to the folly of materialism, and thus working toward a state of Nirvana; or you're clouded by judgments and weighed down by desire.

The reason that you so frequently see the Christian side of this trend is because the Western world is, largely, dominated by Christian belief.

In the Middle East there's a very deep culture of discrimination against women and heathens who haven't submitted to the will of Allah. Before the Christianization of Europe the pagan tribes (Celts and Norse) were known to be as exclusionary to outsiders as modern Christians are to gays and non-Christians.

The difference now, is that information spreads faster, farther afield, and easier. Before, you had to be a learned man who read the histories of the world written by historians to learn about the cultures and customs of others. Today you just turn on the TV or power-up the ol' internet and all of that is right there at your fingertips.

(...not that any of that makes it OK for Christians to be so filled with animosity bordering on hate for those whose lifestyle choices and genetics make them different...)

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What changed?

Nothing changed. People who don't believe the same about Jesus as Christians do have been called liars, devils and accused of being the embodiment of the exact opposite of everything thing that Jesus stood for and taught! ????

THE COUNCIL OF LAODICEA IN PHRYGIA PACATIANA 364 A.D.

CANON XXIX.

CHRISTIANS must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

CANON XXXVII.

IT is not lawful to receive portions sent from the feasts of Jews or heretics, nor to feast together with them

CANON XXXVIII.

IT is not lawful to receive unleavened bread from the Jews, nor to be partakers of their impiety.

CANON XXXIX.

IT is not lawful to feast together with the heathen, and to be partakers of their godlessness.

Christians have been discriminating against people of other religions since the beginning of Christianity.

edit on 19-2-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

windword
reply to post by beezzer

What changed?

Nothing changed. People who don't believe the same about Jesus as Christians do have been called liars, devils and they embody the exact opposite of everything thing that Jesus taught! ????

THE COUNCIL OF LAODICEA IN PHRYGIA PACATIANA 364 A.D.

CANON XXIX.

CHRISTIANS must not judaize by resting on the Sabbath, but must work on that day, rather honouring the Lord's Day; and, if they can, resting then as Christians. But if any shall be found to be judaizers, let them be anathema from Christ.

CANON XXXVII.

IT is not lawful to receive portions sent from the feasts of Jews or heretics, nor to feast together with them

CANON XXXVIII.

IT is not lawful to receive unleavened bread from the Jews, nor to be partakers of their impiety.

CANON XXXIX.

IT is not lawful to feast together with the heathen, and to be partakers of their godlessness.

Christians have been discriminating against people of other religions since the beginning of Christianity.

edit on 19-2-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

Were they being discriminatory or trying to be inclusive?

As in "Come join us, be a part of Christ. It is your choice if you don't, but if you make that choice, you will be excluded from certain things."

Is that being discriminatory? Or are people calling it discriminatory because they aren't offered the same rewards as Christians, without becoming Christians?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Logarock
Purely from an academic perspective defining Christianity "inclusive" and "exclusive" here in the op's contexts is really sophomoric. Its like a little ant trying to pick up a thousand pound rock.

LOL....

Oh really?!?!? How do you figure???

I'm going to guess that you're Christian and that it offends you that I would label Christianity as Exclusive??? So as not to be too "sophomoric" for you I'll take some time here to elaborate for you in a more proper way.

Religious exclusivism is the doctrine or belief that only one particular religion or belief system is true.[1] In its normative form it is simply the belief in one's own religion and non-belief in religions other than one's own. Linked with a doctrine of salvation, religious exclusivism teaches that only the members of one religion or sect will reach Heaven or any given soteriological aim, while others will be doomed to eternal damnation or exclusion from a paradisiacal afterlife. Exclusivism is most prevalent in Abrahamic religions. In the Jewish tradition, it manifests in certain interpretations of the concept of the "chosen people", in which anyone who does not accept the teachings of Jewish monotheism is excluded from the messianic "world to come", though this is not a mainstream tenet of Jewish theology. In Christianity, religious exclusivism is seen in the teachings of the Catholic Church and many Protestant Evangelical denominations that only those who adhere to their version or understanding of the faith will reach Heaven, while those outside of the true church will go to Hell. Similarly, most of the major denominations of Islam consider their faith to be the only authentic religion, while followers of other religions (including the other Abrahamic faiths) are destined to Hell (Arabic: جهنم Jahannam) unless they accept Islam.

Religious exclusivism

Christianity has taught from the time of its earliest writings that Jesus is the only way to Jehovah the God of Israel. In John 14:6, he is recorded as saying "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, but by me."

I don't know what to tell ya man. It's not like I just pulled that out of my butt or something. Can you really claim that Christianity as it is practiced, preached and marketed in all it's forms is not Exclusive??? Sure there is probably some really open and progressive churches out there that might teach something different but basically, yeah, they are exclusive. You got proof showing otherwise, then show it, otherwise what I said stands up and I don't think anyone besides you would say any different.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
My forum wasn't about blasting Christianity....

It was asking if the concept of every one who doesn't believe what you believe. Will be cast into a fiery pit, to burn for all eternity. Is inherently bigotry.

I don't know why but I assumed most other religions held similar beliefs toward "infidels" as well.

Christianity gets pointed at the most because for most of us it's the dominate faith in our area.its the one we know best.

This isn't about the validity of any religion. It's asking if the all others go to "hell" is bigotry.

Could you walk into a bar in a universe where such a concept wasn't known and tell some guy that and not get beat up?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Rasmussen Poll (2005) - Most American Christians Believe the Bible is Literally True

Sixty-three percent (63%) of Americans believe the Bible is literally true and the Word of God. A Rasmussen Reports survey found that 24% disagree and say it is not. [...] Among Evangelical Christians, 89% believe the Bible is literally true and just 4% say it is not. Among other Protestants, 70% believe the Bible is literally true. That view is shared by 58% of Catholics. [...]Seventy-seven percent (77%) of Republicans believe in the literal truth of the Bible as do 59% of Democrats and 50% of those not affiliated with either major party. Eighty-two percent (82%) of black Americans believe the Bible is literally true and is the Word of God. Fifty-nine percent (59%) of White Americans share that view along with 71% of other, primarily Hispanic, Americans. While older Americans are a bit more likely to believe in the literal truth of the Bible, 58% of American adults under 30 hold that view.

Southern Baptist Convention - "Faith and Message," I. The Scriptures:

The Holy Bible was written by men divinely inspired and is God's revelation of Himself to man. It is a perfect treasure of divine instruction. It has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth, without any mixture of error, for its matter. Therefore, all Scripture is totally true and trustworthy. It reveals the principles by which God judges us, and therefore is, and will remain to the end of the world, the true center of Christian union, and the supreme standard by which all human conduct, creeds, and religious opinions should be tried. All Scripture is a testimony to Christ, who is Himself the focus of divine revelation.

National Association of Evangelicals - Statement of Faith

We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.

Church of God International - Declaration of Faith

The Church of God believes the whole Bible to be completely and equally inspired and that it is the written Word of God.

Statement of Fundamental Truths - Assemblies of God

The Scriptures, both the Old and New Testaments, are verbally inspired of God and are the revelation of God to man, the infallible, authoritative rule of faith and conduct.

Most Christians believe that the Bible is the exact word-for-word literal Word of God.

Most Christians do not reference the Rabbinical Traditions of Judaism as part of their faith unless those traditions are in the BIble.

Most Christians regularly quote from Leviticus to condemn homosexuality.

Most Christians believe in the Ten Commandments which are found in Exodus and Deuteronomy.

Most Christians believe in the Creation Story and the Fall of Man story found in Genesis.

Etc.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
If this isn't discriminatory; I don't know what is............

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee. (Bible, Genesis 3:16)

Wives, in the same way be submissive to your husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear. (Bible, 1 Peter 3:1-6)

And if you like; I can show discrimination against people of color, the disabled and slaves, in Bible verses.
edit on 19-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

What does resting on the Sabbath or eating a Passover dinner with a Jewish family have to do with exclusion and/or inclusion into the family of "Christ"?

Nothing! Those canonical laws were written by Christians with the intent to segregate and discriminate against non-believers, specifically the Jews. Not very Christ like and not a pretty picture for the beginnings of the Catholic Church, but it only gets worse later on!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I'm going to let these speak for themselves for the most part.

Kentucky Lawmakers Defend Bill Allowing Religious Discrimination

Last month [March 2013], lawmakers in Kentucky proposed a bill — House Bill 279 — that would allow discrimination in the workplace, housing, or even public facilities if the justification involved “sincerely held religious beliefs.”

Arizona Lawmaker Proposes Religious - License to Discriminate

Yarbrough’s bill, which he has introduced in past sessions, is so sweeping that religious belief could be used to defend any form of discrimination that would otherwise be protected under law, including gender. He acknowledged to reporter Howard Fischer that his bill could be used to discriminate against not only gay people, but also unmarried women, or people with different religious beliefs, as examples. It’s possible that his bill could actually allow religion to be used to justify breaking nearly any law in Arizona.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Good points responding to grims reply to me on page 2,But i do have a point of contention here. The 10 commandments were I believed made simplier before jesus left this world for the Gentile because they were not the chosen people he was going to test so much as his hebrew people. Basically 3-4 things condensed down(although still if you folow them you are doing the 10 itself anyway it just makes it more to the point)

See he didnt abolish the law to the Hebrews Covenant but gave the gentiles another covenant instead of sharing in the hebrew one

And Grim Yes i know jesus was NOT a Christian,BUT those who follow his teachings ARE CALLED CHRISTIANS right?

Also the church has been confused on alot of stuff over the years. Liek the SABBATH is actually SATURDAY not SUNDAY. They Know the OT is not for the Modern christians to follow,but they keep preaching it as all in one when its clearly not. Its 2 seperate books in ONE peice to make it easier to distribute and read.
edit on 14000000pppm by yuppa because: contextual mistakes

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

uhh... I follow Christs teachings... and I am not Christian

Christianity does not own the rights to Jesus... Though they believe they do

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Hell is real and references are found throughout the Scripture, in the original Hebrew and Greek (along with Aramaic), which far predates "dark age clergy" from the Catholic church. In fact, it far predates the conception of Catholicism all together.

The Bible says the unbelievers will be judged differently than the believers. He doesn't specify exactly what that means, but suffice to say it is possible you won't go to Hell. I wouldn't bet my soul on it, though. In the end, it is all up to God and He sees things objectively (because He defines reality).

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeWillAnomaly

So is a talking snake, and a talking donkey...

The bible says its real so it must be... right?

Hell is incompatible with a loving creator... Thus it is not real, Unless you consider the OT tyrant the God of creation...

I do not personally... to each their own I suppose...

Jesus definitely spoke of "Gehenna" but he was not referring to Dante's divine comedy as most of you Christians believe...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Your post is hilariously deceptive in nature which is obvious to anyone who has actually read Genesis and a Gospel.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join