It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does any one here watch the atheist experience?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

wildtimes
So what would be the term for my thinking?

I'm agnostic about God, I do not believe "God" is a person or has human traits,
and I fight to stop early childhood indoctrination.

"Religion is for adults."
Kids should not be subjected to it. Period.

From that description I would say your bordering between Deism and agnostic atheism. There is nothing wrong with either in fact I have kind of hopped between the two through life.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

There are 4 measureable forces at work in the universe.

1) gravity
2) electro-magnetism
3) strong nuclear force
4) weak nuclear force

These forces can explain every event in the known universe, even your conscience, No gods needed. Everything that makes up what we consider the universe is made as a result of the effects of these 4 forces. Without exception.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Grimpachi

wildtimes
So what would be the term for my thinking?

I'm agnostic about God, I do not believe "God" is a person or has human traits,
and I fight to stop early childhood indoctrination.

"Religion is for adults."
Kids should not be subjected to it. Period.

From that description I would say your bordering between Deism and agnostic atheism. There is nothing wrong with either in fact I have kind of hopped between the two through life.

Agnostic is such a cop out term. Basically claiming that we dont have enough knowledge to make an assertion or that no suitable proof can be found.

This position usually breaks down though after a theist starts making claims about the properties of their god or what their god is able or unable / willing or unwilling to do. Then we can always go to the scripture and find all the glaring contradictions or barbaric behaviour their god inflicts on even the most devout of his followers, or even the most innocent of children.

When it comes down to it you can claim agnostic on just about anything.

You are agnostic about santa claus

You are agnostic about unicorns and dragons

The tooth fairy and the easter bunny.

Until you start talking about the properties of these characters.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Yeah, I think of myself as an agnostic Deist.

Hey...today I found a .gif of your cat - and his parachute opening.....
you want me to post it???

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Woodcarver

Agnostic is such a cop out term. Basically claiming that we dont have enough knowledge to make an assertion or that no suitable proof can be found.

Which we don't, and can't.

"Cop out" term?
It states that a person is willing to hear either side of the case and make a freethinking judgment of the materials presented.

O_o

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

And I'm perfectly fine with that, if it proves to be true.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Woodcarver

1) gravity
2) electro-magnetism
3) strong nuclear force
4) weak nuclear force

These forces can explain every event in the known universe, even your conscience, No gods needed. Everything that makes up what we consider the universe is made as a result of the effects of these 4 forces. Without exception.

Physicists are trying to formulate a unified theory of everything.The universe as physics know it consists of:

Dark energy=68.3%
Dark Matter=26.8%
Ordinary matter=4.9%

almost nothing is known about dark energy and dark matter (95.1% of all the known universe) except that it exists.Consciousness cannot be measured or quantified.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rex282

Consciousness cannot be measured or quantified.

Yet.

edit on 2/19/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   

wildtimes

It states that a person is willing to hear either side of the case and make a freethinking judgment of the materials presented.

O_o
if i saw proof of a god i would become a theist too. But that doesnt make me an agnostic. There is no good reason to believe in it in the first place. The only reason we even know about it at all is the overwhelming 2 millenia long campaign of indoctrination of the world. *Dramatic pause*

If i saw proof of unicorns i would believe in them too but i dont go around acting like they might be real. And that goes for all of the old gods that everyone used to be afraid of. No one believes in them now.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

wildtimes

Yeah yeah yeah yeah.....

I have often wondered about that cat.

Anyway the name Agnostic Deist sure I can see that, but I think we need to have some graphs made up to explain that to people.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Agnostic deist: though you cant prove anything, you are inclined to believe in some sort of power. However, you also suspect that it wandered off long ago.

I could be wrong.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Rex282

Woodcarver

1) gravity
2) electro-magnetism
3) strong nuclear force
4) weak nuclear force

Physicists are trying to formulate a unified theory of everything.The universe as physics know it consists of:

Dark energy=68.3%
Dark Matter=26.8%
Ordinary matter=4.9%

almost nothing is known about dark energy and dark matter (95.1% of all the known universe) except that it exists.Consciousness cannot be measured or quantified.

The terms dark matter and dark energy are just place holder words to describe something we dont understand yet. The math says theres something there but we are not able to say what it is or how it works yet. It is in our sights though.

As well as conscious. As soon as we have the computing power to model a brain in real time, we will have it quantified.

As well as when we can model the entire universe. We are just waiting for the technology to catch up with the geniuses who are leading the way.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Grimpachi

wildtimes

Yeah yeah yeah yeah.....

I have often wondered about that cat.

Anyway the name Agnostic Deist sure I can see that, but I think we need to have some graphs made up to explain that to people.

Agnostic deist?

I know its a real term but its like your dancing around the mulberry bush.

Besides, to me, deist sounds like it implies that one believe that god is an entity. I am not comfortable with that.

And for those who think of god as a force, well we already have words and real concepts for what that is. When they start pulling out things that we already understand and start calling it god then that just messes with little kiddos minds.
Its much worse when they start asserting that these forces have a plan, or any intentions, or that these forces care about any aspect of our lives.

Me i have no use and no room for fairy tales. And more, I think when you let people teach kids that 2+2=5 then your doing a great deal of harm. And i see no difference in that and teaching them that there is a special place that only they can go as long as you think the way your told to. If there were as many physics students in this world as there were religious minded people in this world, we would already have suitable answers for all of the universes mysteries and everyone would understand.

I may be preaching to the choir here and im certainly not bashing or attacking any one in particular. I just think the fence is a very uncomfortable place to spend ones life.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

For me

Agnostic deist: I think there is something out there, but I am absolutely sure that the religions of today don't have a clue.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

" Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, as well as other religious and metaphysical claims—are unknown or unknowable.

Deism ( i /ˈdiː.ɪzəm/[1][2] or /ˈdeɪ.ɪzəm/) is the belief that reason and observation of the natural world are sufficient to determine the existence of a Creator, accompanied with the rejection of revelation and authority as a source of religious knowledge."

Agnostic deism is an oxymoron.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Agnostic deist: though you cant prove anything, you are inclined to believe in some sort of power. However, you also suspect that it wandered off long ago.

I could be wrong.

That inclination to believe comes from the indoctrination. Thats why it is so harmful. You can make someone believe anything if you apply the notion at a young age and then reenforce it throughout their life. But there is no evidence that even remotely points at a creator god. Much less backs up any of the claims of miracles in any religious text.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Woodcarver

AfterInfinity

I could be wrong.

That inclination to believe comes from the indoctrination. Thats why it is so harmful.

It turns out I was wrong. See my previous post.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Oh well, i ef up all the time too. I said earlier that an anti-theist would reject good evidence for a god. And then went on to call myself an anti-theist.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I think that is pretty much what i said but anyways i also agree with your definitions. I am both.

Not quite.

An anti-theist doesn't have to be an atheist they just often are. A deist [classically] is antitheist yet they believe in 'god'.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

By that def I am an anti-theist though.

But if god came down and thumped me in the ear i would have to accept it.

And if a unicorn put his horn.... Well you get it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join