It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"A Vast Oceanus Borealis May have Once Covered 1/3 of Mars"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

weirdguy

wildespace
Interesting hypothesis. One thing I wonder, was Mars red back then, or did the redness develop later on, when the planet dried up? The artist's interpretation may need to include more grey than red.

It needs to be noted that even if there was plentiful water on Mars, it doesn't imply Earth-like appearance with forests and grasslands. Life on Mars might have never had a chance to evolve beyond simple microorganisms, or to evolve at all.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.space.com...

I read somewhere that the red pigment is iron oxide. Perhaps Olympus Mons blew, that would certainly kill off a planet.

on the opposite side of the planet to olympus mons and the other 2 volcanos there is 3 hugh impact crators i have read

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

So the impact forced these huge volcanoes out on the other side? Possibly? Very interesting. You know it must take something special to create something so extreme in its dimensions. I wonder, if this is the origin, how long of a process it was? This is just crazy, could this be real? Or just coincidence? Maybe someday they can estimate the age of the craters and the volcanoes and see which came first.

Maybe mars was the garden of eden that we can never go back to now because of the "angel with sword of fire" and now we have to endure birth pains, back pains from working the field, etc,due to this new environment on a new planet, because we reached for the tree of knowledge (technology) and it blew up our planet/garden.

Perhaps as our ancestors looked back from their escape pods they saw the volcanoes spewing magma into a flowing ribbon swirling about and to their children's children the images of this resembled a sword and all they knew was "this is why we can't go back home"...

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

there are things about mars that confuse me the dust devils for one in a planet with no atmosphere then it blows the dust off the rovers panels ?

and nasa saying they have found liquid water on mars well i think you need air pressure for that one

a blue sky on mars now that is unusual was a 90s joke i total recall but maybe it is not a joke if you follow thimgs

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

there are things about mars that confuse me the dust devils for one in a planet with no atmosphere then it blows the dust off the rovers panels ?

Mars still has an atmosphere it's just much thinner than Earth's , it's about 95 percent carbon dioxide but also has a small amount of water in it , light snow was detected by NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander.

"Clouds of dust and ice swirl past the Surface Stereo Imager (SSI) camera on NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander in a series of images taken on the 132nd Martian day of the mission (Oct. 7, 2008). The images show the increase in storm activity and potential for snowfall."

Cool or what ?

edit on 21-2-2014 by gortex because: edit to add

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

999zxcv
reply to post by 3n19m470

and nasa saying they have found liquid water on mars well i think you need air pressure for that one

a blue sky on mars now that is unusual was a 90s joke i total recall but maybe it is not a joke if you follow thimgs

Mars does have an atmosphere, at 0.636 kPa at what we refer to as "sea level" there. That's about as thick as being 30 miles up in Earth's atmosphere.

However, as thin as that is (thin enough so that water would boil at even freezing temps), it is still enough atmosphere to have weather events such as winds and dust devils.

It has been hypothesized that at certain places on Mars, such as Valles Marineris, which can get up to 7 km deep, that the air pressure there may be high enough for liquid water to exist (provided the temp is above freezing of course, which it can get that warm on Mars).
edit on 21-2-2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

eriktheawful
...It has been hypothesized that at certain places on Mars, such as Valles Marineris, which can get up to 7 km deep, that the air pressure there may be high enough for liquid water to exist (provided the temp is above freezing of course, which it can get that warm on Mars).
edit on 21-2-2014 by eriktheawful because: (no reason given)

It should be noted that it has also been hypothesized by NASA and other researchers that liquid water mixed with impurities (salts, other soil, etc.) could create briny water or muddy water that may remain in liquid form for a short period of time -- as opposed to plain water, which would sublimate away in the low martian atmospheric pressure almost immediately.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

I went to my link and the vid looks like it's there, but won't play? Just goes to black when I click on play...... I went to disclose tv website and they have parts 1 and 4 there. Maybe the others are there too , but a quick look , and I didn't see them there. Anyways, the description under the part 1 said these structures are located deep in the Tithoniaum Chasma. Not sure if that will help or not. I thought I had seen this at maybe google videos too a while back. Will look there shortly. At least you show an interest. Thanx for that. I'll see what I can find. Syx.

Try this link. Has the entire video.
www.disclose.tv...
edit on 21-2-2014 by SyxDaliGee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SyxDaliGee

Thanks, but even though I didn't watch the whole video (yet), with a bit of Google search I found the location on Mars: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is my analysis: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's impossible to fast-forward the disclose.tv video. Is there a Youtube version?

Anyhoo, I've looked at the images from Mars Global Surveyor and the Mars Reconnassiance Orbiter, and that feature appears as nothing more than landslide or sandslide that exposed some of the lighter rock, as also seen in area around this feature.

Would be nice to see that area in Mars Express Orbiter images. Anyone know where can I find them?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Apologies to Arken for not keeping on topic of water on Mars, I'd like to post further thoughts on the Project Redstar video.

I downloaded the whole video (using a Firefox plug-in) and have skipped to the bit with the actual Mars image. Here is the image, cropped by me from the original, enlarged x4 using bicubic resampling, with some brightness & contrast enhancement:

It certainly looks like there's a square-looking building on the left side of the image, called "the factory" in the video. Next to it, what seems to be a large, slightly tilted statue with folded arms.

But the authors of the video got a very important thing wrong right from the start. They say that the image was taken at an angle of about 42° (thus providing an oblique view). This is wrong, the image was taken looking almost straight down, at 0.19°. The angle of view is called "emission angle" in published NASA images: www.msss.com... The 42° angle mentioned in the video is the Sun angle: www.msss.com...

Since the view is almost top-down, it's impossible that we are looking at a building and a statue, the way they appear to be in the image. In fact, this location is on a rather steep slope of a large hill or mountain, and if there really was a square-looking building like it appears in the image, it would be standing tilted at a large degree. (See my earlier images for an idea of what the location really looks like)

The rest of the video uses 3D models created by an artist to reflect what they are supposedly seeing in the image. Sorry, but that's just imagination and whishful thinking. They use a heavily processed version of the image, where contrast, brightness, and bicubic resampling distort what you see and create things that aren't there. In a few blurry grey and white pixels, they somehow see observatories, factories, temples and statues... sorry, but that's just silly.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join