It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain Implant Lets One Monkey Control Another

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
www.livescience.com...

In work inspired partly by the movie "Avatar," one monkey could control the body of another monkey using thought alone by connecting the brain of the puppet-master monkey to the spine of the other through a prosthesis, researchers say.

The monkey that served as the master had electrodes wired into his brain, while the monkey that served as the avatar had electrodes wired into his spine. The avatar's hand was placed onto a joystick that controlled a cursor displayed on the master's screen.

The avatar monkey was sedated so that he had no control over his own body. Computers decoded the brain activity of the master monkey and relayed those signals to the spinal cord and muscles of the avatar monkey. This allowed the master to control the cursor by moving the hand of the avatar. The master received a reward of juice if he successfully moved the cursor onto a target.

"This is just a proof-of-concept," Williams said. "We only had the monkeys aim for a few targets at a time — to be clinically useful, we'd have to be able to cause many different movements in space for fine motor control. Still, we think in principle that is possible."

I didn't think this article was real when I saw the title. It seems like some cruel research, however it could be a big step to help those who suffer from spinal cord injuries.

One monkey with electrodes wired into it's brain, controlling the other monkey with electrodes wired into his spine. The monkey being controlled was only moving a joystick, so it was some pretty basic movements. The scientists say controlling every muscle in a certain limb would be very difficult, but it's possible.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepVisions

The perfect mind control weapon

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
you're telling me that they drilled however many holes in the monkeys back and attached this thing to its spine. then doped it up to have it be mind controlled by another monkey and all they got offered for a reward was some juice?! c'mon! at least let them smoke cigarettes, eat bananas and watch some tv...lol

on a more serious note.. i'm sure this will eventually all boil down to a simple implantable chip. real world application is probably already taking place. and the scenario not much different im sure. monkeys controlling monkeys...

mind control is already here and it has been for a while. just goes to show how far behind the public sector developments are from the military...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Holy Shet. [ref. the ancient goddess] The implications are beyond imagining.

F&S&

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CallmeRaskolnikov

This proves it's definitely possible and they say the government's technology is years ahead of the public so I wouldn't doubt this is already been taken a few steps further.

I definitely see the potential for abuse, such as mind control, however it could also be a very helpful technology. It could give people like Stephen Hawking the ability to move their body.

edit on 19-2-2014 by DeepVisions because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This is terrifying, and whatever right they think they have is just wrong. Plain wrong. Wow. I get a really bad feeling with this.

For example...

What if all those who claim abduction, were hypnotized with false memories, and what is implanted into their bodies wasn't put their by 'aliens' - but by people who want you to believe, people aren't doing this to them.

Do you know how many people turn up missing and are never found again? How hard would it be to abduct a child, implant it with mind control chip, raise it and just wait for whatever. They have a robotic child, turned adult who HAS to do anything you want... Like... shoot out a school full of kids to further an agenda of disarming the public.

Oh NO! I've fallen into the MK-ULTRA mind control conspiracies.

*Runs from the thread screaming*

CdT

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

These were actually my first thoughts on the subject. I'm usually pretty skeptical when it comes to most conspiracies, however this really does have the feel of a MKUltra type program. I can't imagine it being very difficult to make this technology wireless either.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

exactly! i agree. part of what makes this sad is what you said...the possibilities and great implications it could have for good. your example of stephen hawkings...you're right.

i don't trust the government or even a private agency to tread that line between what's ethical and what's not in terms of it's real world application. perhaps if said program was subject to public review or something. but, even then it's to easy for someone to take the building blocks from a project like this underground where it won't get scrutinized by the public.

seeing stuff like this just makes me shudder with the possibilities for abuse. which sucks because it obviously could have great positive potential...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CallmeRaskolnikov

"With great power, comes great responsibility". I hate to quote Spiderman but it fits the situation perfectly. Unfortunately, I don't think all the people utilizing this technology are responsible.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Have you ever heard about the monkey that was trained to deliver newspapers on a scooter? I saw that one on TV. Ya, some old dude raised a monkey & taught him how to deliver newspapers. The monkey's owner got to keep the money too.

Now this spinal connector idea doesn't sound like a practical or useful invention but of course the information from the research can be used in other ways.

CX

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Who needs brain implants when we have money.....monkeys have been controlling other monkeys with it for years.

Not a fan of the whole monkey experiment thing.

CX.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

why pay someone you don't care about to do something when you can control their actions entirely and not give them a dime? money only goes so far and there's still a lot of variables.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Monkey mind control sticks out like a sore thumb of morning entertainment.

In the not so distant future, primates of similar mental ability level to post chimpanzee human civilization will interact freely with our world leaders to negotiate treaties on territorial wilderness land grabs.

new topics

top topics

join