It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NYPD sued for GOP arrests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Nearly 2000 protesters were arrested during the GOP convention. They were held in apparently "filthy pens" for longer than the law allows. A lawsuit has been filed for in response to the arrests. Many of the people arrested were held for up to, and in some cases more than, two days without being arraigned. This has been ruled as a violation of legal guidelines. A flood of lawsuits is predicted to arise due to the arrests.

www.washingtonpost.com
"The overriding problem during the convention was the indiscriminate arrests . . . of people who did nothing wrong," Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said at a City Council hearing last week. "They were arrested because they were participating in a lawful demonstration."

Police officials declined to talk about these problems last week, citing a pending court case. But the city's criminal justice coordinator, John Feinblatt, said in an interview that city lawyers tried to weed out the unjustly arrested and that the volume of arrests -- more than 1,100 on one day -- overwhelmed the police department. More broadly, Bloomberg and Kelly defended the vast majority of the arrests as justified and described holding cells as clean and humane.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This has been likened to New York's own Guantanamo. "All that was missing were the orange jumpsuits," said Jonathan Moore, a lawyer filing a federal suit on behalf of several of those arrested. A video provided by the New York Civil Liberties Union shows police commanders laying out the ground rules: As long as protesters did not block traffic, they would not get arrested during the walk north. This was a protest, a march; people were trying to express their views by a way of protest. When people are not allowed to do this, what are they allowed to do? I feel this is a disgrace from the NYPD and is hopefully appropriately resolved.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.nypost.com

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I hope the many inoccent protesstors and those held without substanciated reason sue the asses of the NYPD, hopefully if they do it may teach them a lesson about free speech and human rights. There were a scant few pictures leaked on the net as I recall, from people whith mobile phone cameras and digital cameras they had kept hidden from NYPD when they were arrested and its true that the conditions were unsanatory and illegal. I was appalled at the time when these events unfolded, as an oridinary guy living in the UK i had always believed that America was the land of the free, and in fact thought that the constitution encouraged free speech in the form of protest, however I have since changed my opinion. America is being ruled under semi-dictatorship that will not let any1 speak out against the elected President or his policies as these people know they are lying to the American public, and try as hard as they can to cover their tracks. sorry bout the rant....its just how I see it from my impartial point of view.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Too late it's over. Democracy is dead, it no longer exists. This will be tossed out like a soggy Kleenex. It is to late to wake up now and voice. You all know what must happen next.

My most revered hero, role model, statesman, and military man, as well as look alike

No one need think that the world can be ruled without blood.
The civil sword shall and must be red and bloody.
~Andrew Jackson

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'm afraid now we are only as free as the GOP will let us be!!!

We are going back in time.

Come on girls, get your dresses and your pointy bras out.

I think the Stepford Wives movie was a precursor to whats coming!!!

I remeber those picture that were on the Net at the time of the convention.
It was sad...

I guess you could call it "National Security"

I wonder why NYPD has to take the fall for this.

They were just following orders.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
No
They were not following orders. There in is the problem. They were following the lead. The example set by Federal Government. Apparently NYC is more of a Confederate State and does not recognize Federal Authority. And is attempting to nip a Police State in the bud. Dam Yankee's

The City Government did not order those arrests, the District Attorney's Office did not authorize those illegal detentions. The Police were following Ashcroft's lead and executing powers in the Patriot Act designed for terrorists only. Not citizens of the USA. However this is the inherent and intended flaw in the Patriot Act. It can easily be warped to fit the purpose of power over the people for Political intent and expediancy. Three days with no bail, no phone call, standing like cattle in a make shift fenced in coral with hands plastic wrapped behind your back. Think about it.
When the City Government finally figured it out. Police were ordered to throw away all finger prints and records of arrest and dismiss all charges. Do you think the POLICE did that. Wake Up. Every Copper I ever met was a cop in search of his primitive idea of Power. I was incarcerated in Seatle for 7 days with no call and no bail and advised strongly not to speak. And after this was released with no paper work or indication that I had ever been there. Patriot Act Abused and used on Americans. Get used to it. Your blind patriot friends fell for it. Now it is your reality.
What are you all going to do now. I'll tell you. Your going to do absolutely NOTHING, until they take your TV. That is what you are going to do and you know it

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
"Nearly 2000 protesters were arrested during the GOP convention. They were held in apparently "filthy pens" for longer than the law allows. A lawsuit has been filed for in response to the arrests. "
This is why the city should'nt've just let them all go. They arrested everyone during the convention to control the crowds, and then let them go because the convention was over and there was no real concern. If they arrested them, they should've taken them to court, held them in Rikers (thats what its for, its a holding facility for people awaiting trial) and then prosecuted them fully.

radiant obsidian
its true that the conditions were unsanatory and illegal

No they weren't. The pics were posted here from one person's digital camera. The holding facility was only questionable in that it supposedly had asbestos in it. Otherwise it was a large chainlink fence sitting in what effectively was a parking garage. Thats not unsanitary, and these people weren't innocent. The vast bulk of the ones arrested and sent to that facility were protestors who, not only were protesting outside the permit zone, had gone into Central Park, which was explicitly and expressly made off limits. One of the protest organizers, upon being denied a permit to protest in the park, said that they would just go anyway. Thats not being innocent, its brazen violation of the law, and of course they got sent to jail.

And notice that they are not suing for wrongful arrest, they don't dispute it, nor are they suing about the 'conditions'. They are suing because they were held in waiting for arraignment for too long.

polar bear
The Police were following Ashcroft's lead and executing powers in the Patriot Act designed for terrorists only

What in the world are you talking about? The NYPD didn't exercise any of the provisions of the Patriot Act and none of the protestors were arrested, charged, held or tried as terrorists. They were in violation of their permits, the authority that arrested them and released them was the City.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Nygdan]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
They arrested a news reporter for just being there, doing his job....
A group of protesters where gathering and were going to wait for the main group to come through, the police just came up and began erecting a fence around all of them, the reporter just happened to be in the area.
What if a mother with small kids had also just been in the area, ya know, the baby ran out of milk and she had to walk down to the nearest strore to buy it, called over her neighbor to watch the kids, and well, found herself trapped in such a mess? Would you consider the tactics used by the police endangering the welfare of the children? I would!!! And, well, give it time, and it will probably happen!! Then you'll have social service taking kids, accusing parents of neglect, ect, ect.. and gee, just can't wait till they get to the gov't being accused of endangering the kids..

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
dear Nygdan, a native american indian friend of mine has been arrested at the GOP and held for over 36hours with no sanitation facilities, no phone call, no lawyer, no food for the first 18hours of his confinement, was never read his rights,and was never formally charged with any violation other than that he was standing with his friends making a peacefull protest. I dont say things lightly, and if I say the conditions were unsanitory its becuase from my close friends account of his arraignment I believe him at his word that they were. Im not having a go at you my friend, just want u 2 understand where Im coming from.

Please dont have a go at nygdan, he/she is only voicing her opinions like the rest of us, regardless whether we agree or not.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by radiant_obsidian]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Nygan you are a disgrace to your Constitution and Declaration of Independance. Whoops sorry you are probably not an American. I'm sorry Nygan is that a Chinesse?

top topics

join