It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man sets self, officers, on fire at GA Kroger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'll keep this as short as possible since I'm on a mobile device, but here we have another person setting himself on fire in public in the US. This is about 15 minutes from where I live, and I shop at that Kroger often. This man poured rubbing alcohol on himself before running through the store and, after being cornered, lit himself on fire.

I have my own theories about why people are loosing it, which in think is both desperation and the barrage of contradictions that overwhelm stimuli. When people are constantly told one thing while seeing get he complete opposite happening, tolerated, and accepted, the two completely different ideas cannot be rationalized by the mind.

The other reason is pure desperation due to economic, social, or political issues that orderly affect personal lives.

I can't copy and paste anything due to the source and being on mobile, but the officers are not seriously hurt as there is as of yet no reason known.

Link

Since I'm now home from work, here's from the source:

Police said the man entered a Kroger store on Highway 278 in Covington just before 5 p.m. and immediately caused a disruption.

Witnesses told police the man poured rubbing alcohol on himself and started running through the store, knocking items off the shelves.

Officers pursued the man but could not use their Taser guns because of the alcohol. Once cornered, the man used a lighter to ignite himself and two officers, officials said.

edit on 18-2-2014 by Liquesence because: Fact check.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
A good guess might be a history of drug use/abuse.

Mental illness has grown exponentially since the cost of living rose to the point of requiring two-income families to get by. There are plenty of caregivers for children that are emotionally abusive, and it affects a young, developing mind in adverse ways.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Wow, I was coming back from work in Lawrenceville, GA and when I got by Quik-Trip gas station off hwy81 and hwy278 in Covington, I did notice a bunch of cop cars and a few fire trucks in that area and thought nothing of it.
edit on 18-2-2014 by bumjuicer101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bumjuicer101

Yep, glad I wasn't working tonight, but he will likely go to the Grady burn center instead of a local hospital. I can only imagine what this did to local traffic, though!

This is the second incident in a week in the Lawrencevile area. Getting closer and closer to home, so it's starting to creep out of the city now, and into the 'burbs.

Makes me a wee bit uncomfortable. Hoping it's just a thang, and not a trend.

Sigh.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

That's also a reasonable explanation, but this is just odd. The guy was in the isle where rubbing alcohol is shelved, and caused a disturbance, whereupon he opened one of the bottles and, according to another source, "spilled" it on himself, before being chased and cornered, whereupon he set himself on fire. If that Kroger didn't also sell beer and wine, I would suggest he was going through some drug/alcohol withdrawal and was going to drink it, but maybe he was on some serious hard drugs and was having a psychotic episode. Weird.

Makes very little sense, but luckily the guy only suffered 2nd degree burns.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Yeah, I remember hearing about the shooting at the Lawrenceville Wal-mart. About 15 years ago I lived int he subdivision directly behind there and shopped there a lot.

Crazy stuff is happening, and indeed, getting closer to (our) home(s).

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
This is a scorching hot story.
Sounds like a heated event...
Well done...

new topics

top topics

join