It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek Warp Drive...for real!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

"AN EXTRAORDINARY "hyperspace" engine that could make interstellar space travel a reality by flying into other dimensions is being investigated by the United States government.

The hypothetical device, which has been outlined in principle but is based on a controversial theory about the fabric of the universe, could potentially allow a spacecraft to travel to Mars in three hours and journey to a star 11 light years away in just 80 days, according to a report in today's New Scientist magazine."

www.coasttocoastam.com...(Feed+-+Coast+ to+Coast+-+Current+Events)

www.scotsman.com...

Next up phasers,photon torpedos, and tractor beams. Come on guys let's get it going.

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on Tue Feb 18 2014 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

I thought this might be the already much discussed Alcubierre drive currently in experimental proof of concept testing by NASA.

The Alcubierre drive is a warp drive.

This, however, seems to be something different?
Any other sources?
(personally looking for other sources now)

Will be quite astounding if true.

EDIT:

So, hmm, this story is looking shady?

The Scotsman source and OP references New Scientist as its source, but, the last article in New Scientist that even mentions a Heim Drive is from 2009:

Plausibility: almost certainly impossible

Bonus technology: Hyperspace

If the universe has more spatial dimensions than the three we observe, it may be possible to drive a spacecraft through them, perhaps at extreme speeds. However, this idea depends on the work of an obscure physicist called Burkhard Heim, whose ideas have never passed peer review and are dismissed by most modern physicists as largely incomprehensible.

Engage the X-Drive (speculation into future space travel options)

Further, the Heim Drive wiki itself cites popularity among fringe sources, which further lends toward bringing this 'news' into speculation.

While Heim was indeed a real, but obscure physicist, the Heim Theory has yet to pass peer review and is not accepted as possible.

edit on 2/18/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Hypothetically speaking anyone who believes in Star Trek is as warped as Captain Kirk.

Warp drive definition

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What I don't understand is how theoretical translates to "for real!"

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Mr. Sulu, set a course for Neverland... second star on the left.

The article is old... the concept is nebulous... the what-ifs? Priceless!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CraftBuilder

I think that your point is valid. Theoretical physics, whether limited to the study of particles, or expanded to the conceptualisation of mathematical descriptions of a hypothetical piece of machinery, is not applied science, until it staggers from the mind, to the whiteboard, and in to the physical universe, by being proven, not just mathematically, but by testing it. Some theories are so incredible that we will, in our lifetimes, see no action taken to experiment based on them. Others are being tested as we speak, by machinery like the LHC, and the folks at CERN. But, like the horseless carriage, a theory can only be said to be tantamount to fact, when it has been verified by extensive experimentation.

However, warp drives were, for some time, considered as absolutely nothing more, than old hat, even by fairly high powered scientific figures. The recent swing toward a more open minded approach to the subject in the scientific community however, means that although you are absolutely right to make the point you did, the subject is also being treated much more seriously than it has been at any other time since the idea became part of the public consciousness! That actual theories are being developed on the subject, rather than scripts, is a step forward, but not the end of the road, as would be suggested by an actual warp drive being built.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I hope that physicists in my lifetime demonstrate space folding or wormholes and anti-matter powered spacecraft.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
well right now i know of two efforts to develop at least the preliminary steps toward a warp or otherwise apparent (global-not local) FTL. the first which has NASA funding NASA scientists, engineers and facilities behind it is Dr Harold White's Alcubierre derivative warp measurment and QVPT experiments. in this presentation he offers encouraging preliminary measurements and explains that he is working to improve his measurement's precision over the next year.

www.youtube.com...

the second is one by dr woodward's team who is also working on a device based upon Mach's principle. right now his primary objective is getting a reliable above sigma quantified result from his devices.

www.livestream.com...

The presentation on woodwards progress is in that segment along with a couple of unrelated presentations.

a probably more interesting take on it:

www.youtube.com...

gary hudson is the presenter for the woodward team in the first video.

edit on 18-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: typo

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
hmmm
i think i'll just text myself to alpha century on my communicator.

really...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Then they'll add them to Star Destroyers.......

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
From what I can find this warp drive idea is not real, there is one that is though.

Worry not, tractor beams ARE real.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This isn't a breakthrough, the Germans have had this since the 1920s.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Barnabier

Awesome, maybe you missed the part that this is fake and can't work. So since it doesn't work, how did anyone have it previously?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The article is from 2006 & refers to 'Heim Theory'. It has been reposted here many times throughout the years but the best source is linked below.

200+ pages here:

www.physforum.com...

new topics

top topics

join