It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayhem Grips Ukrainian Capital

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

beezzer
So we help other countries anti-government protesters.

But in our own country, we . . . . . . . . .

Perhaps 'helping' these other countries revolt gives our country important data to use, should Americans ever be so brave/dumb.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I was born and raised in western Ukraine and this situation is both necessary and inevitable in a country plagued by extreme corruption. Most politicians are puppets for the mafia families running the show in the background. The country is also kept on a leash by Russian interests. Most of Ukraine does not particularly like Russia for the atrocities that it has committed (Holodomor, suppression of Ukrainian literature in 1800s, etc,) so the frustration is understandable when we had opportunity to join EU (lesser of two evils sadly) and the puppet president squandered it.

I think this article sums up the situation the best:

america.aljazeera.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Vitali Klitschko, the opposition’s most prominent leader, has said that he quit tonight’s talks with President Viktor Yanukovich without reaching any agreement on how to end the violence in Kiev.

Reuters reports:

“Unfortunately, I bring nothing good from the talks,” Ukrainska Pravda website quoted Klitschko as saying.

He said that he left the talks after the president demanded that the central square in Kiev occupied by anti-government protesters be unconditionally cleared.

It was not clear from the report whether talks between the president and the two remaining opposition leaders were continuing.

www.theguardian.com...

mashable.com...
edit on 18-2-2014 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2014 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Those rifles look like underlever air rifles

Or am I mistaken.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Recap from the day

REAL WAR

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

ken10

Those rifles look like underlever air rifles

Or am I mistaken.

Yes , these are protesters rifles

Like some in this video from Ukrainan police

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Ah, thanks for the vid, that puts things in context...I thought the earlier pic was portraying snipers shooting to kill.

But those pistols were real enough though....I don't like the look of where this is going.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

ken10

Ah, thanks for the vid, that puts things in context...I thought the earlier pic was portraying snipers shooting to kill.

But those pistols were real enough though....I don't like the look of where this is going.

It's not good at all

Over 20 Dead and 1,000 Injured

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Looks like some buildings are on fire now.

RT Live Feed

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparkymedic

Yes, and people are being forced to jump

Protesters reportedly forced to jump from upper floors as Kiev's trades union building burns - @ChristopherJM

Oh, these poor people.

www.breakingnews.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Interesting seeing guns in the protesters hands in Ukraine, now this...

Thai protesters are shooting the police! Apparently western journalists have been told to stop taking pictures when the shooting started (told this BY the protesters!)

Globe and Mail: 4 Killed in clashes between Thai protestors and police

I hope things stabilize soon. We do not need this crap spreading...or do we? Unnerving to say the least.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Wondering how this will look/progress once daylight comes?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Here's the updates over the course of the past 4-5 hours that really stood out while I was away.

rt.com...

00:48 GMT:

In a separate incident, two police officers were killed and another was critically injured as a traffic police unit was attacked in Kiev, the Interior Ministry reported.

01:48 GMT:

A convoy of cars traveling from Lvov to Kiev to join protesters on Independence Square has passed Zhytomyr, which is just under a two-hour drive from the Ukrainian capital.

03:02 GMT:

Several hundred people stormed the regional administration building in Lvov on Tuesday evening, taking control of the building, Ruptly news agency reports.

The building was guarded by militia units who withdrew from the premises shortly before the anti-government protesters made their entry.

No clashes were reported during the building's seizure, although some material damage was done to the building, including the smashing of several windows.

I also turned the live feed of the square back on, and it still looks about the same as earlier. The large fire line is still burning strong (anyone know what that's for? Im thinking it may have been an improvised barricade between the protesters and government forces), and there's still a good amount of fireworks and flashbangs going off. It's going to be daylight there in an hour or 2 I believe.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It is quite spectacular - and harrowing - to see such a mass of people rise up against authority in this manner. My heart aches to see that capital city engulfed in flame and thick smoke, bloodied protesters and chaos in the streets. All I can say is that I sincerely hope the people of Ukraine get what they are fighting for, because they're in too deep to quit now without it being all for nothing.

They don't seem ready to give up yet. Power to the People!
edit on 18-2-2014 by ArchAngel_X because: grammar correction

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

ArchAngel_X
It is quite spectacular - and harrowing - to see such a mass of people rise up against authority in this manner. My heart aches to see that capital city engulfed in flame and thick smoke, bloodied protesters and chaos in the streets. All I can say is that I sincerely hope the people of Ukraine get what they are fighting for, because they're in too deep to quit now without it being all for nothing.

They don't seem ready to give up yet. Power to the People!
edit on 18-2-2014 by ArchAngel_X because: grammar correction

As savage as it sounds I find their passion humbling.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

Indeed. It's like they didn't even hesitate for a moment to throw everything they had at their opponents.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Added a new thread (but in the wrong forum, how I don't know):

Found a RT article dating back to 2011 about George Soros attempting to finance and "Arab Spring" in Ukraine.

My bad Forum link (before it's moved):

RT Link, discussing Soros and what appears to be happening in Ukraine now, except it dates back to 2011.
edit on 18-2-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Well, daylight just broke not too long ago, and nothing seems to have changed much on the live feed.

www.youtube.com...

The wall of fire is still burning, and the building on the left is still smoking heavily.

Screenshot of the wall.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I hope the people of Ukraine prevail......

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Another update. The fire in the building on the upper left of the screen seems to have spread all the way to the other side of the building. I believe this to be the House of Trade-Unions building.

The fire originally started on the corner near the firewall. Over the course on the night and morning, it has spread. More info below.

rt.com...

04:44 GMT:

Rescuers have been forced to leave the House of Trade-Unions in the center of Kiev as the floor between the fourth and fifth levels collapsed in the burnt-out building. The State Emergency Service of Ukraine reported earlier that 41 people have been rescued from that building.

A journalist was fatally shot this morning to.

04:48 GMT:

A journalist from the local ‘Vesti’ newspaper, Vyacheslav Veremey, has reportedly died in Kiev, the medical community ‘Medichna Vrata’ reported on Facebook. He sustained a gunshot wound to his stomach, the community stated. There is no official confirmation of the death yet.

05:20 GMT:

Making public appeals to arm the opposition has crossed the line, declared Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich in address to the nation published on his website.

The number of confirmed dead has risen to 25 now.

ETA - I have the livestream running while im doing other things, and every 10 minutes or so, there's rapid exchanges of stun/flashbangs it sounds like. Rapid explosions that last for 5-10 seconds.
edit on 19-2-2014 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join