It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Mag: I Crashed a Wall Street Secret Society

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Oops wrong secret society.

edit on 18-2-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaneone

Red herring. Strawman.

Comparatively, more is known about Skull and Bones than there is about Kappa Beta Phi. Just takes a look at the two's wikis to notice the difference in information. What went on at the Kappa Beta Phi events was actually unknown/unpublished until this NY Mag article. The two are actually fairly comparable as you have, as I previously mentioned, a former assistant secretary of the Treasury being a member as well as a chairwoman of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Mary Shapiro (appointed by Obama, btw). The SEC is basically responsible for fraud investigations particular to the stock and financial markets so her membership in it is really interesting considering it seems that it would be a serious conflict of interest.

Kappa Beta Phi
Skull and Bones

Will make one correction, the journalist in question, Kevin Roose, did actually report on this in the NY Times but without the recordings and images as well as telling the rest of the story. The original NY Times story was a more tame in some ways, especially without those pieces. It's also notable that the Albany bureau chief for the NY Times, Susanne Craig "contributed" to the original article. I'm guessing she toned it down.

“I believe that the Lord God created Wall Street. I believe he got his only son a job at Goldman Sachs.”

dealbook.nytimes.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

One serious question... why isn't that reporter dead!?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

WCmutant

Personally, if I were a billionaire I would not piss away my wealth by ending up in a murder trail over some guy who caught me acting poorly in front of my peers. I think they know this will all blow over when some more important news event manifests such as Will and Kate getting preggers again.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I don't disagree. However, powerful people often feel and act above the law. I have no doubt that once they get wind of this story (published today) something may happen, if nothing more than a threat. Either that, or the Wall Street billionaires vetted the story before it was published.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

WCmutant
I have no doubt that once they get wind of this story (published today) something may happen, if nothing more than a threat. Either that, or the Wall Street billionaires vetted the story before it was published.

This took place two years ago, if they were going to do something I would think it would have happened prior to the story being released and if they did vet this they did a rather poor job as it left no gory detail out of public scrutiny.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

WCmutant

Personally, if I were a billionaire I would not piss away my wealth by ending up in a murder trail over some guy who caught me acting poorly in front of my peers. I think they know this will all blow over when some more important news event manifests such as Will and Kate getting preggers again.

So spot on, lol. Absolutely agree though the author of the article has an entire book on the subject coming out as well. Again, though, that, too, will blow over but it'll always have a permanent spot in the Library of Congress.
I just find it so particularly troubling that there is this persistent theme of the rest of us as being "lesser" than they. How many people lost their homes, their retirements, and more because of these exact people and their attitudes? And to see that their membership includes high level federal employees (now former) is incredibly disheartening.

P.S. forgot to say thanks for the correction earlier so here it is--thanks.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

WhiteAlice
I just find it so particularly troubling that there is this persistent theme of the rest of us as being "lesser" than they. How many people lost their homes, their retirements, and more because of these exact people and their attitudes? And to see that their membership includes high level federal employees (now former) is incredibly disheartening.

This is one of the careers, like being a politician, where you need to be a bit sociopathic in your tendencies to be successful so I am personally not shocked by this behavior as it is to me expected. I have some acquaintances and relatives in the financial industry and while not all of them are like the people outlined in the Original Post I have met a few who would fit right it with them.

No worries.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Disgusting to say the least but I did find this funny...

"(Q: “What’s the biggest difference between Hillary Clinton and a catfish?” A: “One has whiskers and stinks, and the other is a fish”)"

Peace

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by olaru12

What double standard?

People have freaky parties at hotels all the time take players ball held in Chicago, pimping is seen as a crime but they still allow them to spend their money just like the elite.

The issue with them talking about us lowly peasants in no different then us talking about them.

The difference being…

FBI Cracks down on sex trafficking, arrests 150 pimps.

Compared to:

Here's a fact that may make your blood boil: Nearly 8,000 Occupy Wall Street protesters have been arrested in association with the activist movement, while not one banker has been prosecuted for the actions that lead up to the country's financial meltdown.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

What does the unorganized ows movement have to do with having a good time at a private party?

I'm sorry but I still don't see the big deal.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by boncho

What does the unorganized ows movement have to do with having a good time at a private party?

I'm sorry but I still don't see the big deal.

You asked what double standard there is. There haven't been any prosecutions for crimes committed which caused the housing market to crash, the economic downturn etc, when in fact crimes were detailed and listed in congress in emails and other findings.

That sir, is the double standard.

Plenty of groups get a little out of control and end up with a hammer coming down, the rest of them are partying up until they get caught though, these ones get caught, continue on, no prosecution, and in turn get the people protesting it arrested-continue partying.

Do you see the double standard yet?
edit on 18-2-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Is this thread about crashing a secret society party getting a little crazy?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

olaru12

Go to any Private country club, Yacht harbor, Bohemian Grove, Skull and Bones type fraternity, etc; they are proud of the double standard and flaunt their money and power.

It's just another 'little boys' club. There are thrilled that the founders were C students.

I really don't think women (of course, some would) on average behave in such a gauche fashion. Women would have a spa party and be pampered for a day with pricey booze not act like frat boys. I don't know - maybe a chippendale's night out even.

And - this is great - the grand poobaa is the "Great Swipe" - how fitting.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm glad the reporter came out with this, but I thought this sort of stuff was public knowledge? Any decent reading of history at all will show you that this is how those on top have always acted. Why would it be any different now?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Aazadan
I'm glad the reporter came out with this, but I thought this sort of stuff was public knowledge? Any decent reading of history at all will show you that this is how those on top have always acted. Why would it be any different now?

Agreed. Nero. The French Monarchy. Even the Czars of Russia were getting their names dragged around in the mud due to their involvement with Rasputin. Then again, if all we ever see is the polished and proper side, then how can we ever be sure if they are behaving this way? A little incontrovertible evidence of the behaviors that takes something from "probably" to "definitely" is nice.

edit on 18/2/14 by WhiteAlice because: kid practicing musical instrument fries brain.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

AugustusMasonicus

WhiteAlice

This is one of the careers, like being a politician, where you need to be a bit sociopathic in your tendencies to be successful so I am personally not shocked by this behavior as it is to me expected. I have some acquaintances and relatives in the financial industry and while not all of them are like the people outlined in the Original Post I have met a few who would fit right it with them.

No worries.

I hate to say that's most likely true. My own sibling is actually a vp/director of finance for a major financial institution. Most people would also describe her as being either a sociopath or a psychopath. She was the sort of kid who would volunteer to take the family pet to the vet to be euthanized and took animals "for rides". Not kidding.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Some of the stuff is actually kinda funny but only until you remember that these guys crashed the economy,bribed our elected officials from both parties and subvert our democracy, I am glad that they slapped Hilary with much disrespect while she wasn't in the R.M for she sat with these asses took their money..she made about $400,000 at wk end speech with those very same banksters lauding praise on them.
edit on 18-2-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

If only those terrorists were better at their jobs, I wouldnt mind seeing that building having gone that day.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

ImaFungi

If only those terrorists were better at their jobs, I wouldnt mind seeing that building having gone that day.

They were busy at their own mixer actually

(digital recréation due to privacy concerns)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join