It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood Victims Paying Taxes On Property That Doesn’t Exist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Here's a news story that hit our local news yesterday.
CBS4 Denver

DENVER (CBS4) – Hundreds of Coloradans lost their homes to floods or fires this past year but they’re still paying property taxes on property that in some cases doesn’t exist.

So this fellow, John Casey is being forced to pay a mortgage, insurance and now has a $4,700 property tax bill.
If you watch the video, you'll this guys house now sits in the middle of the newly carved Bolder Creek-bed. Next good heavy rain and it'll all be gone.
denver.cbslocal.com...

One state lawmaker, Rep. Jonathan Singer, D-Longmont, says that’s not right. He’s carrying a bill that would have the state pay the taxes.

“Originally I was going to write a bill called “if the tax assessor can’t find your home, he can’t tax you,” Singer said.

I don't know about the rest of you all, but in my home was a total loss I'd stop paying on that mortgage and let my insurance company deal with the bank and assessor's office.

Still I think it sucks the state is still coming after these folks who lost everything.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Isn't Colorado a "blue state"? I thought they would show more compassion... isn't that what they preach?

I guess compassion ends when you owe them money...

edit on 18-2-2014 by madmac5150 because: More words and a well placed squiggle...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
To be fair though that guy probably should have thought things through before taking out a massive loan to build a house in what seem to be the middle of a river.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Paperwork takes time to get processed. It will all be washed away in the end.
Sorry, cheap shot.
Getting banks and insurance companies on the same page is a big hassle. Hopefully he has actual flood insurance.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Bellor
To be fair though that guy probably should have thought things through before taking out a massive loan to build a house in what seem to be the middle of a river.

I have no idea where the original house sat in relation to the river.
But you often see river rerouting and carving themselves entirely new beds after the kinds of floods we saw here last year.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I feel sorry for them, but I have a problem with people that build their homes right next to a river, on the side of a cliff, ect. What do you think is going to happen?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

madmac5150
Isn't Colorado a "blue state"? I thought they would show more compassion... isn't that what they preach?

I guess compassion ends when you owe them money...

edit on 18-2-2014 by madmac5150 because: More words and a well placed squiggle...

The story goes on to say the state could lose up to 20 million in lost tax revenue.
But technically I don't see how they can go after this guy.

his house, or what's left of it now sits 'In' the River bed and the Bolder River is owned and managed by the state.
As far as Colorado's compassion I'm surprised they didn't fine the guy for blocking a protected waterway

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I am unaware of any mortgage contract or property tax clause which states that if your home is lost to a disaster such as flood, fire, earthquake, etc., you don't owe the money.

Just as when you purchase a vehicle. If your car is totaled in an accident, you still we the monthly payment. There are probably avenues for getting assistance when such a disaster strikes you.

An unfortunate reality of life.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If they have a problem with the taxes then sell the property or let the bank have it. And why should the people of that state pay the taxes for these people? Oh I was dumb enough to build my house next to a river please pay my taxes for me. That is just plain stupid. Just because there is no house on the land doesn't mean they don't have to pay taxes on the land itself. So does the politician own huge tracks of land he doesn't want to be taxed on seeing how he wants taxes to be tied to houses only.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I hope he had flood insurance that will really make him mad to realize that they pay practically nothing to help. The loop hole I found I said I was renting it to my girlfriend when the place flooded they were falling all over themselves to make things right then. If I would have been there alone they would have given me living expenses for 6 months then had no money to repair the place.

new topics

top topics

join