It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research team successfully grows human lung in lab

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

True enough - strokes, heart disease, infertility etc - but if they can successfully clone a lung, then a heart should in theory be easier as it is a relatively simple organ by comparison.

One day, we'll be able to go down to the doctors for a service much like we do cars - pay labour + parts and out you come all rejuvenated!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Does the presence of neurons in the heart increase its complexity though?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by stumason

Does the presence of neurons in the heart increase its complexity though?

As far as I understand it, every organ/muscle in the body has neurons - including the lungs as it happens. I can only assume that the stem cells that have been coaxed into forming the new organ also form the required nerves to make it operate. If not, then this is something they need to look at!

I was just commenting in terms of complexity - the lungs are a far more complex structure than the heart - so presuming they have actually grown a set of lungs that can operate as well as a natural set, neurons and all the other cell types included, then it should be relatively easy to grow a heart.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

jjkenobi
Blah blah blah. I read about these amazing scientific discoveries like this and the first thing I wonder is WHY am I still bald? They can grow a lung in a jar. They can grow an ear on the back of a rat. I can't grow some hair on my bald noggin? I want some answers.

We can't grow hair on your bald head yet because the Hair root is a rather complicated piece of organ itself. Most of the lab grown tissues are made of 2-3 different type of cells and they are basically layered . Whereus the Hair root is actually made up of 9 different cells and the 3 dimensional nature of the root itself is proving to be too difficult to imitate in the lab.

edit on 19-2-2014 by 23432 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

luciddream
Blasphemy! devil's works!

LOL I knew someone would say it!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thank you Slayer, most informative.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
This reminds me of that movie "The Island". The wealthy will eventually have clones on standby to replace failed organs and needed body parts.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Enzo954
This reminds me of that movie "The Island". The wealthy will eventually have clones on standby to replace failed organs and needed body parts.

Not really, tissue engineering does not require whole body for organ to be grown.

It is interesting that many confuse tissue engineering with cloning. A bit more then 10 years ago I did research on this topic for one of my classes and at that time we dogs with 'engineered' liver living just fine. I can just imagine what another 10 years of research will do...

S + F for good story!
edit on 20-2-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

WonderBoi
Won't be long, til they make those human robots. The ones they have now, complain too much. lol

Growing organs

Blade runner

Synthetic cell

enough Said

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Its about time.

We don't need robotics, we need our own organs for replacement. And if your thyroids gone, we need our own thyroid for replacement.

Also, I don't want to eat an animal that was alive, want to have farms and caretake and harvest eggs and dairy from non polluted over drugged, radiated healthy animals. But there is no reason for muscles to not be grown in facilities, clean and healthy, no GMO or insect dna added thank you very much.

I've known this since childhood, reading omni and science digest when young, kept asking when they would do this.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

When I first skimmed this headline, I read: "Research team successfully grows human dung in lab" and I was like, gross.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Luciddream was being

sarcastic

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I wonder if they can increase the lung capacity. It would be a break through in holding your breathe for long periods of time while diving...

Cigarette companies will be selling lungs as well as their wear and tear product tobacco.
Writing on the Box will be

Marlboro - Super Strong Lungs
Warranty voided after first breathe. (damn fine print got me)

We will see second hand lungs on ebay..
used lung done 50.7 years of breathing and heavy smoking.
Maybe 5 more years left in them.
Lungs aren't needed because I bought brand new ones..
bidding starts at 99 cents.

edit on 21/2/2014 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Not to be a party pooper but they just got existing human lungs and put stem cells into the existing lung scaffolding.
We think of a human lung as working but this is not an operative human lung.
Since they used existing lungs they are stretching the truth when they say they grew a lung as they did not, they just used the existing lung form and put stem cells on it.
Wake me up for mediascience worship when they really grow a lung(without using an existing lung) and it works.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Amazing.If only we concentrated our efforts to such as this instead of wars and weapons we COULD have a near paradise.I still am proud of this achievement for mankind!

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

SLAYER69
Research team successfully grows human lung in lab

(Medical Xpress)—A team of researchers with the University of Texanderfful s has, for the first time, successfully grown a human lung in a lab. Project leads Dr. Joaquin Cortiella and Dr. Joan Nichols announced the landmark breakthrough to various members of the press this past week, describing the procedure and what was achieved.

Growing organs in the lab has become a reality in the past couple of years as scientists have learned more about stem cells and how they mature to become the cells that make up organs and other body parts. Windpipes, for example, have been successfully grown and implanted into human patients, and just last spring, a team of researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston successfully implanted lab grown kidneys into rats. In this new effort, the researchers have been focusing on growing one of the most complicated organs in the human body—the lungs.

What does ATS think about this?

It seems they are moving forward with lab grown organ replacements at an ever increasing speed. I have a thread in the works along these lines. I came across this story while researching for it. Outside the obvious smokers needs for a new set I think this is a wonderful development for people with lung problems not related to smoking.

I know some may be against such developments.

Anyway, I thought it was worth posting...

yep.. Cloning~

even the very word whispers of strangeness....

CT side of it.. ? What if....this is actually very old news in some circles ? Cloning human ears on backs of mice is nearly 15 years old ?

The word Cloning, keeps recirculating back to me in different ways, keeps it fresh in my mind, for some reason. Begs the question over and over..."Is genetic manipulation / reconstruction a bad thing?"

I would guess that it depends on who is handling the technology...

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Enzo954

yes.. !

and LOVE the movie ! I just bought it recently.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Excellent...I'll have three.

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well this has been an entertaining read.

i thought some here would find it interesting.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Stay tuned I have something in the works along these lines

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join