It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Computers, Lasers, Robots, and more: Ancient Innovations by Distant Ancestors

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

I don't know why this thread did not get more attention. Maybe something else was going on at the time. I can see how the ancients might have used mirrors to reflect light onto enemies. As an example, in the building where I work if there is a vehicle parked right in front of one of the glass doors at the right time, I become blinded by the reflection of the sun.
The Antikythera Mechanism has always fascinated me. Now that researchers have used sophisticated use of X-Ray or MRI technology they have elucidated more structures within. And let me tell you, it's beyond comprehension.
It is Swiss watch precision technology that is 2000 years old!
Was it Archimedes himself who made this in his workshop? If so, did he make more of them? Is this the only surviving example of its kind?

Aarrrgh...so many questions.

Kratos

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: hoghead cheese
Read the wikipedia on the Lycurgus Cup, when you read it you get the impression that they are saying the people didn't understand what they where doing and by luck the glass had nanoparticles of gold and silver and it just happened to work. This is an example of opening an egyptian tomb and finding a jet engine inside it and millions of people see that one is in there. So they can't say that it wasn't a jet engine and they can't say it wasn't in there...

Ok so aside from the fact it's bad decorum to quote a post like the OP in it's entirety and ignoring the fact you start talking about a Lycurgus Cup and keep talking about it without so much as a link or even a few words to describe it (it's a Roman caged glass cup that looks green when lit from front and red when lit from behind link to wiki... en.m.wikipedia.org...) but then you go on to compare the discovery of this fairly simple technological advancement and compare it to opening an Ancient Egyptian tomb and it containing a jet engine? How do the two compare?

I am someone who believes ancient civilisations were probably more advanced than we realise by the way...

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

It takes either a lot of nerve or a lot of ignorance to refer to the ancient Greeks as "primitive man," Slayer.

Harte

I disagree I like to think he knows his audience very well.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
A mirror does not a laser make.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Wonderfull thread Slayer, these things always give me food for thought.

One thing though, the image of the laser did not work. There was an episode of mythbusters where they tried this scene as depicted on your example image.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
dp ignore
edit on ndAmerica/Chicago502uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: James1982

That's an excellent observation.

Having the ability means nothing without the will, and the means. Romans were using steam power for toys, took a few thousand years to realize you hook a wheel and belt to that steam engine you have yourself an industrial revolution. They had enough slave labor that either nobody cared to put 2 and 2 together, or someone did but a steam engine just wasn't seen as a value over a slave.

I totally agree the ancient world was far more advanced than we give them credit for, but I don't think that means they had an industrial high tech civilization, just that they came up with more clever, elegant, and simple means of accomplishing the same things as we do today.

It was Plato who said....“Necessity is the mother of invention.” And here we are...

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
There is an old book (does not involve ancient aliens) that covers some of this stuff:

We are not the first: Riddles of Ancient Science by Andrew Tomas
www.amazon.com...

edit on 2/55/14 by Elentarri because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

So called Primitive man was not so Primitive after all, Not to mention the fact these are just a small sampling of the things we've found over the past couple of hundred years

asinine, greek scientists measured the size of the earth, a more obscure greek philosopher came up with heliocentrism more than a thousand years before galileo and copernicus.

to think of the greeks as "primitive man" is idiotic, they came up with some of the most important things in history. things that modern man takes for granted, and still are influenced by today.

then again they also came up with a lot of dumb things too, like that every organ but the brain was where emotion and thought came from.

this crap is like trying to pretend that the majority of people still thought the earth was flat by the 17th century, it's nonsense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join