It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time to end humanity.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

I am saying that people who wish to do without their bodies should do so, quit disparaging it and take that next spiritual step, and prove the body is of little worth.

When did I disparage it?

Who in this thread said they wished to do away with their body?

Did I say I want to hasten my body's death?

I said there is more.

You are the one encouraging people to die if they think there is more. I'm not religious at all, but I do think that consciousness just doesn't disappear at death. I also enjoy corporeal experiences like sex, food, fun, learning, etc.

Can you point to anything that has pin-pointed consciousness as being completely located and tethered to the body or brain? (besides your obvious opinion)

I get the impression that you think that the body is it, all there is. Just a mass of systems and an organic computer.

If one is to change one's outlook or attitude, how do they do that without a consciousness? (though I don't expect you to change your outlook from what I've read)
edit on 2/19/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I think our exchanges have confused me since (most of the time) you are talking about evolution of man as in the body itself ( a sllooowww process), from which different perceptions, ideas and abilities would follow.

I thought the thread --OP--was more about the here and now( or at least near future)...a change in attitude.

Call me crazy.

Talk down, w/e

I'm done. I choose to do that.

My Being is removing itself from circular arguments and tangents about unrelated things in this thread.
I'm not going to wait long long long years for some new version of mankind that contains an individual that may share my exact thoughts to opt out of this discussion.
I am doing it now.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

When did I disparage it?

Who in this thread said they wished to do away with their body?

Did I say I want to hasten my body's death?

I wasn't speaking to you specifically.

I said there is more.

Yet you are unable to tell me what more you are talking about. Minus the body, what is left? Anything within the body, is the body.

You are the one encouraging people to die if they think there is more. I'm not religious at all, but I do think that consciousness just doesn't disappear at death.

It was a joke. Perhaps your philosophical humour has run away from you. If you don't think "consciousness" disappears at death, you are merely taking an old religious idea and exaggerating it. Philosophy, neuroscience and psychology don't even know what consciousness is. So I think its a stretch to make such assumptions.

Can you point to anything that has pin-pointed consciousness as being completely located and tethered to the body or brain? (besides your obvious opinion)

Physical injury, stroke, brain damage, birth, death, and the fact that every experience happens while having a body. What can you pin-point that says the opposite?

I get the impression that you think that the body is it, all there is. Just a mass of systems and an organic computer.

There is no such things as organic computers. This is your outlook. This is how one might see himself if he didn't have mystical entities and other false hopes to keep him busy.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Ugh, one last post...

It was a joke. Perhaps your philosophical humour has run away from you. If you don't think "consciousness" disappears at death, you are merely taking an old religious idea and exaggerating it

It was a joke telling others to die that you felt the need to repeat 3 times?

You think I am taking on a religious belief. One doesn't have to be religious at all to ask: is there energy in the body, electricity? Can energy be destroyed? Is it possible that consciousness has energy?

Yet you are unable to tell me what more you are talking about. Minus the body, what is left? Anything within the body, is the body.

That is your opinion being stated as fact as far as consciousness goes.

the fact that every experience happens while having a body.

Does it? Have you gone without one? In truth NOBODY knows, except you of course.

There is no such things as organic computers. This is your outlook. This is how one might see himself if he didn't have mystical entities and other false hopes to keep him busy.

That sounds like what you have been calling what interprets our experiences. Body, body, body. So what DOES go into thought, ideas, imagination if not a consciousness?

And NO my outlook is not that we are organic computers...if you've read, I think the opposite.

"There is no such things as organic computers. This is your outlook. This is how one might see himself if he didn't have mystical entities and other false hopes to keep him busy." I find those 3 sentences to be contradictory.
I have no false hopes. I don't believe in a mystical entity as in a god. I have an opinion just like you, just maybe not as condescending.

I think it is funny and maybe telling that you went line by line of my post except you skipped ONE. I asked:

If one is to change one's outlook or attitude, how do they do that without a consciousness? (though I don't expect you to change your outlook from what I've read)

Enjoy yourself berating others.
Ciao

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Chamberf=6
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I think our exchanges have confused me since (most of the time) you are talking about evolution of man as in the body itself ( a sllooowww process), from which different perceptions, ideas and abilities would follow.

I thought the thread --OP--was more about the here and now( or at least near future)...a change in attitude.

Call me crazy.

Talk down, w/e

I'm done. I choose to do that.

My Being is removing itself from circular arguments and tangents about unrelated things in this thread.
I'm not going to wait long long long years for some new version of mankind that contains an individual that may share my exact thoughts to opt out of this discussion.
I am doing it now.

Good game.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Chamberf=6
reply to post by Kashai

I am detecting either a contrarian, or an all knowing monk with an attitude and a liking for one liners meant to sound deep or zen.

Whether you may wish to or not Native Indigenous cultures in the western hemisphere relate to dirt as an aspect of God. They relate to dirt as a part of the Earth spirit and in an of itself conscious of its surroundings. Therefore when you claim we are aspects or reflections of God and/or copies of God so is the dirt. To claim one is better than dirt is to offer one is better that another of Gods creation. Without dirt on
earth well there would be no food, no food means no humans.

Humans are not better than dirt.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Ugh, one last post...

You fear a little dialectic? No wonder philosophy is dead.

It was a joke telling others to die that you felt the need to repeat 3 times?

I didn't tell anyone to die. I told them to do away with their bodies. You're the one telling me we persist beyond death, so I don't see why its a big deal. What does death matter if we continue to exist?

You think I am taking on a religious belief. One doesn't have to be religious at all to ask: is there energy in the body, electricity? Can energy be destroyed? Is it possible that consciousness has energy?

By "energy" do you mean the ability to do work? Because yes, everything has the ability to do work. No, the ability to do work cannot be destroyed. Do you mean some new-age mystical substance you call energy? I cannot help you there.

That is your opinion being stated as fact as far as consciousness goes.

Then maybe you can show me how I am wrong. Or are you merely stating your opinion as fact?

"the fact that every experience happens while having a body."

Does it? Have you gone without one? In truth NOBODY knows, except you of course.

Name one experience that requires not having a body...just ONE... and you might have an argument. I'm not claiming absolute truth here.

That sounds like what you have been calling what interprets our experiences. Body, body, body. So what DOES go into thought, ideas, imagination if not a consciousness?

Find me one organic computer on earth. It's like saying fish are organic submarines. Body is a word we use to describe the physicality of ourselves. It doesn't imply anything else.

And NO my outlook is not that we are organic computers...if you've read, I think the opposite.

You can only think the opposite if you invent mystical non-physical entities to value. If you were unable to rationally invoke such ghosts and spirits that dwell inside us to value, as you seem to have done, how would you then see yourself?

I have no false hopes. I don't believe in a mystical entity as in a god. I have an opinion just like you, just maybe not as condescending.

I beg to differ.

I told you, perhaps you missed it, the not even philosophy, neuroscience and psychology can even define consciousness. I refuse to fall into the same error as you have by positing it as fact.

Have fun berating others.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Other's replies:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Energy exists in various forms—including kinetic, potential, thermal, chemical, electrical (see electricity), and nuclear—and can be converted from one form to another. For example, fuel-burning heat engines convert chemical energy to thermal energy; batteries convert chemical energy to electrical energy. Though energy may be converted from one form to another, it may not be created or destroyed; that is, total energy in a closed system remains constant.

www.merriam-webster.com...

con·scious·ness noun -nəs : the condition of being conscious : the normal state of being awake and able to understand what is happening around you : a person's mind and thoughts : knowledge that is shared by a group of people

www.merriam-webster.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

It seems I have a fan. Thanks for reading.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
You make of you're reality what you choose.
To some the word Human is a powerful word, a word that to them embodies the full spectrum of what and who we are, not in a 'oh that's right, silly me, that word means slave!' sort of way but a 'Humans are an incredible animal capable of epic highs and seemly lows, filled to the brim with tenacity and will, abundant in focus and determination with no upper limit to what we, as a species, can achieve.

If you want to go about trying to change people's minds about what a word means then they might lose all of the positivity and strength and ... well basically all of the things you say we need to take back.

Yeah. Some people already have some of those things, and they live in places where English is spoken.

I Appreciate you're personal perspective and explaination of what those words mean to you, but they mean the complete opposite to many if not most other people.

The Swastika had an entirely different meaning untill somebody with an idea and a will to spread it came along......

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
humans don't belong here we have destroyed this planet especially with Fukushima which will ultimately kill Earth we did it all the technology humans have learned have destroyed planet Earth , how long do you think humans will survive now that Fukushima has happened ???

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

10. Conclusion
A comprehensive understanding of consciousness will likely require theories of many types. One might usefully and without contradiction accept a diversity of models that each in their own way aim respectively to explain the physical, neural, cognitive, functional, representational and higher-order aspects of consciousness. There is unlikely to be any single theoretical perspective that suffices for explaining all the features of consciousness that we wish to understand. Thus a synthetic and pluralistic approach may provide the best road to future progress.

Source

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

WonderBoi

AfterInfinity
And what do you suggest we become, instead of human? What do you think is our true nature?
More like God, considering we are made in His image and His likeness. One thing God has never done and that's control His creation. He gave us free will. Choices. People choose to be slaves.

No, the church dose that for him...lol

Religion is gods tool for control.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

If someone asked you to explain consciousness, could you do it? Very, very smart people have spent their entire careers trying to understand the answer to that question. It is surprising that something we all experience is so hard to explain. The difficulty comes in describing the “what it’s likeness” that characterizes consciousness. There’s something it’s like to experience the color red, to taste chocolate, to feel happy or sad. Philosophers call this phenomenology. Unlike other worldly stuff, it isn’t something we can point to or hold in our hand. It’s not something we’ve been able to calculate. And we’ve yet to find a rigorous method of measuring it.

Source

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Koyaanisqatsi

To the OP: reminds me of a joke.

This guy visits a church, one he had never entered before, and was not exactly what one could call religious. He was more curious than anything.

The pastor gave a rousing sermon! Brimstone! Fire! Salvation! All the while he noticed this gentleman seated fairly close to the front and also noted that he seemed genuinely interested.

At the end of the sermon, the Pastor exclaimed loudly, to get everyone's attention: "Would all those who want to go to heaven give me an AMEN!"

At which point virtually everyone in the congregation shouted "AMEN!"...That is, except for the one lone gentleman who looked at others with a bit of amazement as well as a bit of confusion.

The Pastor decided to up the ante by following that up with: "Everyone who want's to go to heaven stand up now and give me another AMEN!"

Everyone, as you can expect, jumped up and shouted Amen!.... except, once again, for the one lone gentleman who had a slight smile, yet was still somewhat confused.

The Pastor ended the service with a prayer and moved towards the exit to shake hands and acknowledge his congregation individually as was his custom.

When the lone gentleman stopped to shake his hand he praised the Pastor for his rousing sermon.

The Pastor, unable to contain himself any longer asked the gentleman: "Do you seriously not want to go to heaven when you die?"

Suddenly the gentleman's face lit up as if suddenly it all made sense. "Oh!! You meant when I die! Of course I do...I thought you were getting a group together to go today!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Moral of the story? I am not ready to go right now. If you are, then you are quite welcome, but please leave the rest of us alone when you do.

What gives you the right to proclaim this nonsense? Did you just recently grow up or something?

edit on 19-2-2014 by bbracken677 because: -------------------

edit on 19-2-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

jaytay
humans don't belong here we have destroyed this planet especially with Fukushima which will ultimately kill Earth we did it all the technology humans have learned have destroyed planet Earth , how long do you think humans will survive now that Fukushima has happened ???

Apparently punctuation was also destroyed.......

Sorry...for some reason I have a rather humorous bent today.

I just crack me up!!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Name one experience that requires not having a body...just ONE... and you might have an argument. I'm not claiming absolute truth here.

Existing in the afterlife for one. No body needed.

No body required to be discovered to be wrong or a fool long after you have died.

No body required to be proved correct (just ask Einstein) errr... well

An then there is the singer who sang: "I ain't got nooooo body....." right?

edit on 19-2-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

Therefore when you claim we are aspects or reflections of God and/or copies of God so is the dirt.

If you look through the thread, I never claimed that. Nor did I say I even believe in god.
Bye.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Chamberf=6
reply to post by Kashai

Therefore when you claim we are aspects or reflections of God and/or copies of God so is the dirt.

If you look through the thread, I never claimed that. Nor did I say I even believe in god.
Bye.

"Brahma is the supreme being, not dust and ribs. Nor just a "step up" from. No dirt mentioned. This kind of contradicts what you were saying several posts ago."

To be honest and in respect to science we only understand 1 to 3 percent of what is reality.

Dust can very well be sacred.

Any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

That was talking about different religions and quotes about Hinduism with another poster-- intellectually and removed from it, not about my or his beliefs. Context is everything.

Thoughts?
If you wish to deify or worship dust, that is your prerogative. Go for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join