It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's time to end humanity.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Chamberf=6
I think I see the underlying meaning of your OP, but in truth is there anyone out there who defines their "humanity" by the ancient original etymology of the word?

Does "religion" ring a bell? This isn't me putting theists on the chopping block; it's a legitimate answer to the question.
edit on 18-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

And again, my question is: what ideals are we considering as a substitute? What is our self-image supposed to reflect?

I think it is entirely up to the individual. Therein lies the difficulty, as people are more influenced by the ideals of others rather than their own.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I guess I was not thinking of the Judaic account in the bible--I was thinking more in terms of sane people. Oh no, I've done it again.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Chamberf=6

I guess I was not thinking of the Judaic account in the bible--I was thinking more in terms of sane people. Oh no, I've done it again.

And I wasn't thinking of any religion in specific. Religion. Period. It heavily employs the sort of archaic etymology that guides our modern understanding of the abstract.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

And I wasn't thinking of any religion in specific. Religion. Period. It heavily employs the sort of archaic etymology that guides our modern understanding of the abstract.

I would have to agree. Any outlook that sees us as divine beings has already convinced itself that what is apparent and actual is of little worth.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Aphorism

And again, my question is: what ideals are we considering as a substitute? What is our self-image supposed to reflect?

I think it is entirely up to the individual. Therein lies the difficulty, as people are more influenced by the ideals of others rather than their own.

That's because, as the newly released remake of Robocop puts it: "People don't know what they want until you put it in front of them." So you feel the revolution of humanistic self-reflection is more individual based, and not a communal transformation? Sorry for the long words, but what's the point in wasting arrows?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Personally, I think it's a matter of both. Whether it first occurs at the individual level or the communal level I am not yet certain, but it seems both are required. I sometimes defend religion in the hopes that a new one might emerge to facilitate this process. But it will take an individual to create it.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Aphorism

Personally, I think it's a matter of both. Whether it first occurs at the individual level or the communal level I am not yet certain, but it seems both are required. I sometimes defend religion in the hopes that a new one might emerge to facilitate this process. But it will take an individual to create it.

Perhaps someone who is not human. Because if a human makes it, then it will have been wrought with the same mechanisms that brought inefficacy to its prime in every other religion.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Chamberf=6

Obviously not religious myself (closer to Buddhist than anything), but not all religions say we are slaves made of dirt. Or do they?

Yes they talk of the abstract, but I don't see them all going back to any sort of common, all religion consensus definition of 'humanity".

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Aphorism

Perhaps someone who is not human. Because if a human makes it, then it will have been wrought with the same mechanisms that brought inefficacy to its prime in every other religion.

Then who? An alien/god?

Religions were made by man, yes, but what is the alternative (in reality)?

I agree any "new" religion would be riddled with flaws as the others are...but unless Tsouklos is right about all his conflicting accounts of AA's, I don't see any being descending from the sky with the new religion anytime soon.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

but not all religions say we are slaves made of dirt. Or do they?

Only the ones of consequence
I would argue they say much worse. *Original sin? Hell? We are told we are broken from the onset and deserving of eternal damnation unless we confess to the crime of living.

*Excluding Islam I think.

edit on 18-2-2014 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Koyaanisqatsi

It's time to end humanity.

You first!!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Only the ones of consequence I would argue they say much worse.

Hinduism, at more than 1 billion believers is of some "consequence" to my thinking. They have a different view...

edit on 2/18/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Everything is sacred even dirt.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Koyaanisqatsi
Like the title says: It's time to end humanity. Now, what do I mean by that? It's got to do with what the word mean and how words, concepts, memes and attitudes influence the very way we think of and identify ourselves. Human, humanity, human being and humble are all words that points to us being created by someone else and implies our inferiority.
The words comes from the latin word "humus" which means earth or dirt. This word was given to "man" as a notion of "earthly beings," as opposed to the "gods".

Human -Hu and Man also have other meanings. (Man-mind and according to the best efforts of linguists and researchers, the root of the present word God is the Sanskrit word hu which means to call upon, invoke, implore)

I agree with you in that we should be free from self concepts and not identify ourself with what we are not. But I disagree on your views on humility .

Opposite of inferiority is superiority. There is no need to say "I am not inferior or I am superior " of for thinking prideful thoughts, for what/who are you really comparing yourself to when you think you are inferior/superior? Just your ideas/thoughts/judgments about "others" . With humility there is no need to chose a concept to identify with such as superior or inferior .
If a point of consciousness is not a human being should we even self identify with humanity?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Chamberf=6

AfterInfinity

Aphorism

Then who? An alien/god?

Religions were made by man, yes, but what is the alternative (in reality)?

I agree any "new" religion would be riddled with flaws as the others are...but unless Tsouklos is right about all his conflicting accounts of AA's, I don't see any being descending from the sky with the new religion anytime soon.

Evolution will tell.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Koyaanisqatsi

That dirt you're standing on, the earth, also known as Terra Nova - roughly translated to 'ball of poop' - is the remains of other living things, much like yourself. It's mixed in, and sitting atop, inert materials spewed out by stars and supernova. It's all the same stuff, just in different forms. Humility is realizing you're a part of all that, and marveling at the sea of possibilities.

Bow to the stars, bow to the earth, bow to god, bow to yourself. Or don't. It's all the same.

I think we agree here in sentiment, at least, if not in semantics.

rickymouse
But I like being human.

I do too, that's why I'm here.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Kashai

Yes, I couldn't have expressed it better my self! But you see, we were led to believe otherwise. And it was used against us.

We didn't come into this world as if we were dumped here from some other realm. We grew out of it! We are as much part of it, as it is a part of us. (that's why I believe we wouldn't survive on another planet. We need to take the Earth with us).

In my OP I picked out one example. Perhaps the most obvious one. It's so obvious it is hard to see. So we take it for granted.
No, there is no need to know the meaning of the words I referred to. Most people don't anyway. The point was to say that the words are interwoven into our culture and permeates it. To the point we don't see it. Like a fish don't see the water. The individual don't need to know the words when the culture do it for them and molds society for them.

So, how do you get your authority back? Well, you don't. When you look for it, you will see that you never gave it away in the first place. You just didn't think you had any or you forgot that you had. But when you re-discover it and claim it as being a part of who you are. You have empowered yourself.

So, when the Queen knocks on your door and says: "Hello, I am Elizabeth II, your Queen!" And you answer and say: "No, you aren't. You may be somebody's queen, but you ain't mine!" And if every door she knocks on gives the same answer, who is she then? Just another old lady.

How did she get her authority? Everyone gave it to her! How can her authority be taken away? Everyone can take it away!
It is that simple! It's time to wake up!

What ideal should we then set us? I don't think we should have any. I think it should be up to every single individual to decide whats going to be the right thing to do. In all situations. We don't need laws and we don't need rules to regulate behavior.
And I will tell you why I believe this:

I have total faith in you! If you truly took back your authority and stood firmly on your own two feet, I am convinced you would be a very decent person that I'd be happy to be friends with. You see, all the good stuff like compassion, love, integrity, truthfulness, reliability, friendship and so forth are also parts of who you are. It will rise to the surface along with your authority.

These values and faculties suffers also in this worldview we have allowed ourselves to be entangled in. They have been devalued, watered out, twisted and distorted to the point we don't any longer recognize them for what they are. I know many who would walk past a miracle on the streets without seeing it. (actually, just walking down a street is a miracle).

Anyhow, once you allow yourselves to be who you really are, you will be one who empowers others. I know you would be one who looked after those who where less fortunate than you and those weaker than you. I know I could totally trust you. This has nothing to do with religion! Nothing to do with ideals or morals or karma or anything spiritual. Or anything else for that matter. It's just the right thing to do! Nothing more! It's just the right thing to do, and decent people are like that! That is who we are! And it rises unhindered in the presence of you recognizing and taking ownership of your own authority!

If this can't be the way it should be, then we need laws and someone to rule over us. Like now. There is no alternative! It's this way or the other way! And all it takes, is a slight shift in perspective.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I really like your style of thinking. I have similiar thoughts on this topic about how humans are evolving and their final destination. I would like to see some more of your opinions about this type of topic because its really hard speaking this kind of things with an normal society outside. If you are interested, please reply

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Kashai

Did I say it wasn't or even say what is sacred or not?

That doesn't really have anything to do with what I wrote.

I agree with you, although I wouldn't use the word sacred--it has way to many religious connotations. But I'd say all things deserve respect.
edit on 2/18/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join