It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOOD NEWS ATS - No longer will I make religious threads.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

FlyersFan

Woodcarver
Throwing the term troll out is no better than calling someone stupid or any other name calling.

When someone is a troll ... they are a troll.
When someone is an atheist ... that doesn't automatically make them a 'miserable troll'.
Big difference.

this forum is about religion, faith and theology. Any atheist posting here IS trolling.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

oktopus

FlyersFan

Woodcarver
Throwing the term troll out is no better than calling someone stupid or any other name calling.

When someone is a troll ... they are a troll.
When someone is an atheist ... that doesn't automatically make them a 'miserable troll'.
Big difference.

this forum is about religion, faith and theology. Any atheist posting here IS trolling.

It is not up to you to mod the threads, or say who can post and who cant. As a matter of fact you have already been warned once in this thread for violations. This forum is for the discussion of religious matters. You will notice that there is no forum called "atheists."

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Woodcarver

You may both like to know that the rubric which used to define this forum (before the descriptions were hid from view) was;
"Discuss all things spiritual and share your own faith-based experiences".

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

oktopus

That's not true. And I've seen some of the moderators and admin from here who are atheists posting in the religion, faith and theology forum. And they are absolutely not 'trolls'.

If a Fundamentalist Christian, who takes every word of the bible as being the literal word of God, posts something like Exodus to discuss .... and an atheist (or another christian who doesn't take the entire bible literally) posts information showing that Exodus didn't happen ... that's just DISCUSSION. That's not trolling.

Trolls are people who refuse to look at the information posted.
Trolls are people who are just pontificating and not entering discussion.
Trolls are those who resort to name calling when they can't defend their own position.

Simply being an atheist or buddhist or christian or muslim or whatever ... that doesn't make a person a troll.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

I didnt know that. Im assuming it changed when people started asking for definitions of what spiritual means? And why anyone would accept any faith based claims?

This seems to be the heart of the problem between these two camps.

Im not abdicating for an atheist forum. In fact atheism only means one thing.

We do not accept the claims by theists that a god exists. If the existence of such a being is sufficiently demonstrated then atheism would no longer be the default position. Plain and simple. Atheism doesnt make any claims. It doesnt have a doctrine. It is not a religion. We simply do not believe the claims that a god exists.

All the other labels folks try to pin on us are completly separate from that point.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
As I read the threads in the religion forums it reinforces my decision to become an agnostic and follow no organized religion. I want no part of my protestant upbringing.

The mean spirited name calling, insults, and holier than thou attitudes by the Christians probably aren't winning many converts to Christ.

My suggestion would be, if you believe in the teachings of Christ; try and be more like him. And before you post; ask yourself....

"How would Christ respond."

edit on 19-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

There used to be one of those definitions for each forum (at the top of the page in each thread).
They were just designed out of existence at the most recent re-modelling of ATS last year.
I assume that the definitions still hold good in theory- e.g. we still see threads being moved from "Predictions and prophecies" to "Dreams and predictions" in line with the old definitions of those forums.

My take on the definition of this forum is that it favours the making of positive threads rather than attacking threads.
That is, people should be starting threads about their own outlook rather than threads attacking the outlook of another grroup.

edit on 19-2-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Or some one from one camp asking an honest question from the other.

I prefer to have discussion with people who dont necessarily agree with me. My problem is when people make faith based claims and say they dont have to have a reason to believe what they do. Fine if thats what you believe but it doesnt add anything to the body of discussion.

I do not try to change minds. I try to make points for discussion. claims can be disputed but opinions cant.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

"Honest" is the operative word there.
I've seen titles which profess to be genuine requests for information, but when you look inside the question turns out to be something deliberately provocative.

Yes, the New Testament even advises Christians to be " always ready to give a reason", and people are not doing their case justice if they don't explain and give reasons for things, as far as it is possible.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

edit on 19-2-2014 by DISRAELI because: double post

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Jesuslives4u
As many of you have told me; it is best I keep my opinion to myself and you are right. I will keep my mouth closed about religion because you do not want to hear it and I now get it.

If I may be permitted to interject a comment from the staff side of the screen

This is a discussion board and if everyone kept their opinions to themselves, there wouldn't be much to see. Lolcats and other stuff you can see anywhere I guess.

There are many forums on the board. This serves multiple purposes including allowing people to concentrate on those topics with which they have interest and staying away from those they don't.

Religion and politics are both topics that engender a whole lotta personal feelings most of which are charged with emotion. Sticking with the religion/faith/theology side here, the staff goal is to maintain this particular forum for civil discussion about those topics. Things typically get sideways for two reasons 1) Someone with strong religious convictions who drags every conceivable topic on every different board into a discussion about religion and 2) Those who have little to no religious belief who want to come into the forum meant for those discussions and irritate the hell (irony intended) out of everyone just for grins.

Now I could go on for pages about that, but suffice it to say, the staff here will continue to do everything in its collective power to see that the T&C compliant conversations can be had in the appropriate forums free from incivility and boorish behavior. Our goal is that no one feel reluctant to express their views, providing it's done appropriately and in the right place.

So by all means, take a break from the topics you need to avoid but at some point should yow wish to reengage in this forum, you have a commitment from the staff that you can do that with a minimum of harassment. Especially if you let us know via alert when it's occurring.

Hey, we don't claim to be perfect, but we want to encourage participation. From a staff/T&C perspective it isn't the opinion that causes the problem, it's the delivery. There's honest dialogue and a genuine search for truth, and there's trollish disruptive behavior designed to squelch the conversation. We've been doing this long enough to recognize the difference.

Two cents.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesuslives4u

Jesuslives4u
I always thought mankind had an open mind and many of you do but I see it is I with the closed mind, why? Because I have seen God in a NDE and twice while awake and all three times it was unexpected. I can’t deny what I have seen.

Hello friend, forgive me if this has been asked previously, I only read through the first page of the thread and didn't see it asked there. What does God look like? Please feel free to refer me to a previous post or thread if this has been discussed already. Thanks and best of luck!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by InTheLight

I believe he was not preaching either, but some here are accusing him of such.

He ADMITTED he was preaching, and the offending posts have been removed anyway, so you aren't going to find it now.

The OP has owned his behavior, and stepped up to apologize. It's disrespectful for you to now be accusing him of being spineless or somehow manipulated or browbeaten.

You weren't there - neither of you.
He also stated himself what he was 'guilty' of - and how he himself saw his own actions in hindsight. Let it be an example. He did well.

Wrong, he only admitted to jugding those that judged him, as well as returning insult for insult. From the little I read I think apologies are owed all round.
edit on 19-2-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Wrong, he only admitted to jugding those that judged him, as well as returning insult for insult.

Sigh. You have it backwards, and again, you weren't involved, and since the posts were removed you can't know what happened. I was there. His apology was directed to me and a handful of others.

I accepted his apology.

He said that he judged, and it was after that, and due to that, that he got judged [schooled]. Big difference.

You need to let this go. It doesn't have anything to do with you, and you are projecting onto the OP....he clearly said he was remiss. Leave it alone. He stated his case. It's not on you to analyze or decipher it.

edit on 2/19/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

wildtimes

Wrong, he only admitted to jugding those that judged him, as well as returning insult for insult.

Sigh. You have it backwards, and again, you weren't involved, and since the posts were removed you can't know what happened. I was there. His apology was directed to me and a handful of others.

I accepted his apology.

He said that he judged, and it was after that, and due to that, that he got judged. Big difference.

You need to let this go. It doesn't have anything to do with you, and you are projecting onto the OP....he clearly said he was remiss. Leave it alone. He stated his case. It's not on you to analyze or decipher it.

As a member of ATS, of course it has to do with me and everyone's responsibility to investigate and analyze bad behaviour wherever it may be, as well as bring to light those members who habitually intimidate others with false accusations and beliefs. He stated his case on this thread to ATS members and nowhere does he apologize for preaching, albiet he does apologize for his passionate faith, but from the little I have seen of responses and off-topic responses to his threads, I think the blame lies elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This thread is now closed, pending review by staff.

~Tenth

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join