It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOOD NEWS ATS - No longer will I make religious threads.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

muzzleflash
reply to post by wildtimes

Yeah those are good points. Agreed.

I don't know anything about what happened but I do think this poster has good qualities.
Being able to Own up to a fault and apologize publicly is an excellent trait.
I only wish we were all so inclined, myself included.

What an interesting and ironic lesson there seems to be wrapped in all of this.

You are so right. How can I lead by example if I cause separation and hatred.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jesuslives4u

The point is to learn from your mistakes, not to hate your capacity to make them.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

This has torn me up and I really do feel like an a@@. I wish I could reel the clock back and start over. I have exposed myself as a fool and I feel like crap. I have judged which has caused judgement on me.

I think maybe you just weren't aware of how different ATS is - and how the back-and-forth is for exchanging ideas, not insulting each other (thought it happens all too often - this is still the best discussion board on the net, in my opinion).

Please stop beating yourself up - we've all made mistakes in judgment, and gotten heated on here.

I'm about the same age as you, and in good physical and mental health....and I just friended you, too! Because I believe we CAN talk about these things without condemning anyone.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned....the hard way.

If you'd like to tell your story in more depth, for the benefit of readers - again, I extend to you an invitation to contribute to the thread linked in my signature, where several members have shared their experiences. That's why I made it - so we could all explain our 'stories', without feeling embarrassed, or judged...just a safe place to share your own life/religious history - so others can know more about where we're coming from.

Have you ever read "The Varieties of Religious Experience: A Study in Human Nature"by William James? Published in 1902. (The linky there is the free ebook from Gutenberg, but it's still in print as well. I prefer to cuddle up in a chair with a book rather than read online - but - to each his own learning style.

Same with religion - we all have come to SOME kind of stance, and we enjoy discussing the differences. Religion is a very personal thing - but you know that.)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

wildtimes

This has torn me up and I really do feel like an a@@. I wish I could reel the clock back and start over. I have exposed myself as a fool and I feel like crap. I have judged which has caused judgement on me.

I think maybe you just weren't aware of how different ATS is - and how the back-and-forth is for exchanging ideas, not insulting each other (thought it happens all too often - this is still the best discussion board on the net, in my opinion).

Please stop beating yourself up - we've all made mistakes in judgment, and gotten heated on here.

I'm about the same age as you, and in good physical and mental health....and I just friended you, too! Because I believe we CAN talk about these things without condemning anyone.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned....the hard way.

If you'd like to tell your story in more depth, for the benefit of readers - again, I extend to you an invitation to contribute to the thread linked in my signature, where several members have shared their experiences. That's why I made it - so we could all explain our 'stories', without feeling embarrassed, or judged...just a safe place to share your own life/religious history - so others can know more about where we're coming from.

Have you ever read "The Varieties of Religious Experience: A Study in Human Nature"by William James? Published in 1902. (The linky there is the free ebook from Gutenberg, but it's still in print as well. I prefer to cuddle up in a chair with a book rather than read online - but - to each his own learning style.

Same with religion - we all have come to SOME kind of stance, and we enjoy discussing the differences. Religion is a very personal thing - but you know that.)

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

55 years old going on 18!

At times I think I am pretty smart but like everyone else I know I have a lot to learn. We are all in the same boat. One of my biggest problems with me.......I think more of others than myself. I try to share my experiences so others don't make the same mistakes........and believe me I made more than my share!

I have mastered the art of sin and blasphemy (in the past) and it took many many years to realize how wrong I was. It is a miracle I am not sitting in some prison!

edit on 18-2-2014 by Jesuslives4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
A minister who worked full time for me once told me something. I asked him why he doesn't talk about religion to me or the other guys. I told one of the other workers working with him to watch his language around Bill because he was a minister, he didn't believe me so I mentioned it at coffee break when both were there. Bill said he doesn't preach to others about god because it initially chases people farther away. He said that it is better to let people see the peace and tranquility you have because of your belief. That is one of the wisest things I have ever heard. My other worker and I were talking and agreed, Bill was one of the nicest guys around and we would never say anything bad about him. Bill enjoys life to an extent that neither of us have ever experienced, being satisfied with whatever he had. The deceivers stayed away from Bill, they sensed that he had no greed so their scams would not work on him. Deceivers target the greed within you and capitalize on it. I doubt if a thief would even rob Bill, they usually take from people who have something. A new kind of thief without morals is emerging though, they even rob the poor, leaving them in debt that they cannot recover from. These people are evil to the bone. Just don't get sick if you have no insurance and your exposure to these people will be lessened.

People can see the peace and tranquility in you without even discussing god. They will eventually desire this tranquility. Not all Christians experience this, most are there just to belong to a church.
edit on 18-2-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Bill sounds like a wise man, indeed. In deed.

I think there are plenty of people just like Bill - they just go unnoticed, unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

rickymouse
A minister who worked full time for me once told me something. I asked him why he doesn't talk about religion to me or the other guys. I told one of the other workers working with him to watch his language around Bill because he was a minister, he didn't believe me so I mentioned it at coffee break when both were there. Bill said he doesn't preach to others about god because it initially chases people farther away. He said that it is better to let people see the peace and tranquility you have because of your belief. That is one of the wisest things I have ever heard. My other worker and I were talking and agreed, Bill was one of the nicest guys around and we would never say anything bad about him. Bill enjoys life to an extent that neither of us have ever experienced, being satisfied with whatever he had. The deceivers stayed away from Bill, they sensed that he had no greed so their scams would not work on him. Deceivers target the greed within you and capitalize on it. I doubt if a thief would even rob Bill, they usually take from people who have something. A new kind of thief without morals is emerging though, they even rob the poor, leaving them in debt that they cannot recover from. These people are evil to the bone. Just don't get sick if you have no insurance and your exposure to these people will be lessened.

People can see the peace and tranquility in you without even discussing god. They will eventually desire this tranquility. Not all Christians experience this, most are there just to belong to a church.

'
'

You hit the nail on the head and this is good advice. This very thing has been revealed to me.

Advice that I plan on using for the rest of my life!

Thank you so much.

I hope everyone knows I am not "playing" or looking for pity or sympathy. I look forward to growing in knowledge with other ATS members and I pray for all to be blessed and protected.

edit on 18-2-2014 by Jesuslives4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

55 years old going on 18!

At times I think I am pretty smart but like everyone else I know I have a lot to learn. We are all in the same boat.

Then we are the same age....
and yes, it's kind of unnerving as we get older to realize just how much we don't know. Sometimes I wonder how my brain manages to cram so much information into it - it never gets "full"!

Well, like Mark Twain said:
"“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

And Socrates: "I know nothing but the certainty of my own ignorance."

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Jesuslives4u

muzzleflash

I think you would do yourself and everyone else here a great disservice if you were to censor yourself. I do not agree with your religious views but i am always glad to discuss the topic and i am never offended for very long over a post. We have all been pushed to the edge of frustration. The lesson here is one of humility. We have all been there and its always best when it comes from within. If you want a break then perhaps it is best but if you decide to return you will catch no flack from me.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Jesuslives4u

rickymouse

'
'

You hit the nail on the head and this is good advice. This very thing has been revealed to me.

Thank you so much.

That is good advice if one is out in society, in person, however, on a public forum where one desires to share one's religious experiences, keeping one's opinion to oneself doesn't get the message across to those that want to hear and discuss it.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
First the "good news" - but then the bad news, ATS.
DISRAELI will continue making threads (D.V.) for some time to come.

I clicked on this thread hoping that the author would be one of several other people, but no.

edit on 18-2-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I think the point is that you cannot always be the teacher and no opinion gives greater authority over another.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

If you dont like it...don't let the door hit you...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Woodcarver

Jesuslives4u

muzzleflash

I think you would do yourself and everyone else here a great disservice if you were to censor yourself. I do not agree with your religious views but i am always glad to discuss the topic and i am never offended for very long over a post. We have all been pushed to the edge of frustration. The lesson here is one of humility. We have all been there and its always best when it comes from within. If you want a break then perhaps it is best but if you decide to return you will catch no flack from me.

Cheers

Sounds like you know me.

Humility an area in my life that I must work on.....everyday. And believe or not this site has reminded of this.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Two people with the same mind.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
You don't have to alter your posting habits on this site, purely because of some members who may or may not take offence to the material of your discussions. Post what you want to post, and don't listen to the vocal (and hostile) minority.

There is a reason why ATS is so large: It accommodates many individuals, and a religious forum exists for the purposes of discussing religion. If non-religious folk do not like it, they don't have to read the material.

No, keep posting what you are posting, regardless of the opinions of others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for everyone's information, i don't consider myself overly religious. That doesn't mean i can go barging into any thread and act with hostility to any one member though.

Daas.
edit on 18-2-2014 by daaskapital because: clarification

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

InTheLight

Jesuslives4u

rickymouse

'
'

Thank you so much.

That is good advice if one is out in society, in person, however, on a public forum where one desires to share one's religious experiences, keeping one's opinion to oneself doesn't get the message across to those that want to hear and discuss it.

In order for this to happen I have much to learn. Another Very big problem with me is communication! My overzealous attitude disregarding other peoples feelings.

I am a cop in a leadership position who at times forgets who he is. I often give orders when I should be receiving them.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

kalunom
reply to post by rickymouse

Bill sounds like a wise man, indeed. In deed.

I think there are plenty of people just like Bill - they just go unnoticed, unfortunately.

Bill didn't do so well as a Minister, he did fill in for a few churches. The problem is that he believed that people should want to help others in need and donate if they could afford to. So when he was a minister, he did not preach to the congregation about giving money to the church and the donations always dropped. It seems that the practice of making the congregation feel bad so they donate more to the church for their programs is more effective. I actually do not like all that preaching about how the church needs money for this and that and making the people feel guilty, even the poor, so they give more. But that is life I guess. Bill now teaches kids in a church sponsored school, hopefully his students will learn to help others without being intimidated into helping.

The world needs more people like bill.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Jesuslives4u

InTheLight

Jesuslives4u

rickymouse

'
'

Thank you so much.

In order for this to happen I have much to learn. Another Very big problem with me is communication! My overzealous attitude disregarding other peoples feelings.

I am a cop in a leadership position who at times forgets who he is. I often give orders when I should be receiving them.

You could also be considered life experienced (elder) and if you have ever had to raise and teach children, you would know the immature among us have a natural tendency to rebel against their elders and their teachings. But, I agree, that you and some of the rest of us should change our communication/posting approach so as to not step on the posters with dantier toes. Human communication is a toughy and I am finding out here at ATS that I don't have to censor myself, but rather learn to read inbetween the lines of the other poster to determine if the receiver is on the same page or not.

I once knew a powerful lawyer and on his desk (facing the person entering the office) was a big sign that read 'LISTEN'. Me being inquisitive, I of course questioned him. I asked him "Is that sign for me?" He laughed and replied "No, it's for me...to remind me to listen to you".

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join