It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google makes move that could let users log in with sound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
"Google has acquired Israeli start-up SlickLogin in a move that could make signing into your Google accounts a lot more secure."

This concept uses a signal sent to your Smartphone that humans can't hear. Your Smartphone verifies your indenity and you log in. I think this form of verification is a little more secure than current methods but there are still some holes in this one, I think.
What say you, ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lostbook

To me it lowers security, because now if someone hacks into my Google account, they would not just have information on my gmail account, but also my cell phone.

Look at the concept of compartmentalization as a means of security in the military industrial complex. Companies and people are only given bits and pieces and they may not know how it all fits together.

The concept of linking different types of information about yourself (cell phone number and e-mail account for example) is exactly the opposite idea, it's bundling more and more information about you in a single place, making it easier and easier for people to impersonate you, steal your identity, and if they now know your cell phone number in addition to your e-mail account, the could even spoof your cell phone.

Hopefully Google has better security than Target did, but Target wasn't the first and it won't be the last corporate database hacked, so I think it's not a good idea to put too much information about yourself in one repository if you can avoid it.

edit on 17-2-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
So it's the same as the normal two step verification thing(username/password + code texted to your phone) but without the need to manually punch in a code. Still have to have your phone handy though. It's a step forward for lazy people. Fair enough.
edit on 18-2-2014 by mrwiffler because: dumb

join