It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you eat the ends of packaged loaves of bread; are they safe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Sharing cinnamon toast heels of bread with my mother was a special treat. She's smear them with butter, sprinkle a bit of sugar and a lot of cinnamon, slide them under the broiler for a few minutes....heaven in my mouth. Thanks for awakening those memories!

We haven't purchased bread since my Prince learned to make it when I picked up a brand new bread machine at a thrift shop for $3!!! That little gadget even allows me to bake bread, a skill I've not really been able to acquire.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sn0rch

you wont read about this in the medical journals either.

So where can we read about it?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I just can't believe this is a topic of discussion on a forum. ATS at that. I will often bake my own bread, I buy them from the store too. There's nothing more hazardous in the ends then there are at the top, sides or bottom.

And from what I know, bread is typically cool when placed into bags so no chemicals are released from the plastic.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
want high blood pressure?
keep eating wheat and gluten products
its a fact, if you believe in those things

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Nyiah
Just imagine, all the people at any given time of year (let alone cold/flu season) walking by it sneezing, coughing, touching it with grimy hands. Where you put your hands.

Hmm.. that got me WONDERing indeed, do they touch the loaves sometimes with (dirty, snotty, fecal matter, etc) hands sometimes, or is it always automated right into the bag and the twist tie?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

I love the crusts !

The crusts come in handy for various fillings in your sarnie.

Example: Sunny side up egg & Bacon and cheese (mature chedder for me) with a splodge of ketchup. AWSOME! hmmmmmhmmm

The crusts are great for soaking up the grease and stop the bread from breaking up with the runny yolk.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
My kid works at a deli and he brings italian bread heels home from work in a bag. They make great toast and grilled cheese. If we can't eat them all as it's sometimes a large bag, I hand them out to family and neighbors often ask for them. If there are no takers they get fed to birds.

I haven't gone looking for a recipe yet because my oven is not working at the moment but I think they can be diced, and sprayed with oil / herbs and dried in the oven to make salad croutons or crushed for a casserole topping or meatball/meatloaf filler.

They also make a chewey french toast and I've made bread pudding with them also.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I'd be more concerned with what is used in the mass production of plastic packaged loaves of bread, than just what parts may have been in contact with the packaging. GMO foodstuffs, chemical treatment of the grain etc!

I always prefer fresh crusty bread and it's a shame the big supermarkets have, over the years, forced the small high street bakers out of business. Nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread, getting it home still warm then cutting a couple of lovely thick crusty slices and spreading with butter and Marmite, washed down with a big mug of tea! Food of the gods!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by sn0rch

you wont read about this in the medical journals either.

So where can we read about it?

I found all of the info about it Here. It looks like a pretty decent list of things that this 'end-bread' can do.

Serious stuff. :/

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
^^ That's the best post I've ever read on ATS

second
edit on 2/18/2014 by shockedonlooker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   
This thread got me thinking. I'm pretty intuitive with stuff in general and never once did it cross my mind why I will eat the heels of what I call proper bakery bread, but never ever eat the heels of 'commercial' sliced loaf.
Some of the theories postulated actually explained maybe why I have done this all my life.

Thank for the thread

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

i have been on about 4 crusts or heels a week for around 30 years now,i have no problems other than someone else eating my crusts in my house then it's all fistycuffs lol

my fav is melted cheese on toasted crusts with a tad of brown sauce

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The bread ends should be toasted into krutons for your soup, or used for cheese on toast, as its just one operation to toast the cheese, seeing as the bottom of the bread slice is already 'toasted' same for beans on toast, full grain bread very good for scraping the lower colon as well. (helps get rid of cancer polyps.)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

A 2009 study showed that rats fed a serving of bread crusts every day developed 72 percent fewer of a particular kind of bowel lesions. These lesions are thought to be a cause of bowel cancer.
... hmm .. interesting ... i'm always looking for ways to reduce chances of cancer ... who woulda thought crusts could help rats out like that .. am gonna start feeding crusts to everything .. goldfish, ladybirds n that

www.mydiet.com...

Also ... with regards to the chemicals from the plastics ... it would definitely not surprise me to learn in the future that there is / has been a problem with this .. cos most other things humans do with man made stuff is detrimental in some way or another ... but like another poster mentioned .. i also recently bought a bread making machine ... so not a problem now (depending on how you choose to store it) ... and also i get to experiment with all my natural ingredient concoctions and not use any sugar ... all good ..

in sayin that .. the bread machine i have seems to have some sort of teflon coating which kinda concerns me in a similar way ... hmmmm .. humans

Take care
edit on 18-2-2014 by Segenam because: wheeeeEEEEeeeee......

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
DONT EAT THE HEELS OF THE BREAD!! Thats where they put the nanobots!! Cut it off and only eat the soft nanobot free center of the bread.

Commercial bread is icky anyway. When I was a kid Id cut ALL of the crust off of a loaf of bread, squish the white bread parts sans the crust into a huge ball, and carry it around and eat it like an apple.
Also when I was a kid my mother would pack my lunches ( after we started eating more like the folks we lived among) and when she would make me a sandwich she used a cookie cutter to make my sandwiches into neat animal shapes.. and NO CRUST!!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If you are vegan, don't eat the cheap store bought packaged bread. Many of the store bought breads contain pig hair, human hair and feathers as fillers.

www.naturalnews.com...#
www.bbc.co.uk...

Which brings me back to the possibility that human hair may be used in bread. A vegetarian friend alerted me to the existence of an animal-based flour additive called L-Cysteine. It is an amino acid which is used as a flour improver. It is known as E920 and is permitted for use in all biscuits, breads and cakes except those that claim to be wholemeal. The problem for a would-be vegan like me is that traditionally L-Cysteine is produced from feathers, pig bristles and sometimes even human hair. These days L-Cysteine can also be produced synthetically but apparently human hair remains one of the richest sources of this amino acid – it makes up about 14% of your hair - and there is a small industry in China making the additive from hair clippings.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I save all the ends of my loaves and toss them in a plastic bag in the freezer. When I have enough of them, I chop tham up and make a big batch of stuffing with it.

Nothing goes to waste in my home !

CranialSponge's Basic Country Stuffing:

- A couple dozen bread ends from old loaves
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- a large dollop of butter plus 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ground sage
- fresh or dried thyme (chopped fine if fresh)
- fresh or dried rosemary (chopped fine if fresh)
- salt and pepper

From the frozen state (or thawed doesn't matter) chop bread ends into small cubes.

In a deep frying pan with butter and olive oil, lightly saute onions and celery until onions are transluscent. Add in bread cubes and saute until cubes have absorbed all of the oils and are lightly browned around the edges.

Add in your seasonings to your own taste (I use a ton of sage and thyme). Toss around in the frying pan until everything is well coated.

Stuffing can be used to stuff the carcass of a chicken or turkey or a rolled pork/beef roast, and then roast your meat in the oven as per usual

OR

You can place your stuffing into a casserole dish and pour chicken broth over the mixture, just enough to moisten it with an additional inch or so of liquid on the bottom, cover and bake in a 350 degree oven until the stuffing is thoroughly cooked through and browned up nicely (about an hour). If you're doing the casserole method, be sure to give the stuffing mixture a good stirring every once in a while to spread the juices throughout and to keep the bread from sticking and burning on the sides and bottom. The trick is to have all of the broth cook thoroughly throughout the stuffing without it getting too dry or too wet by the time it's fully cooked.
edit on 18-2-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I thought this was a joke... Anyway

I love me some of that "butt" bread! Waste not want not! What did the "butt" of the bread do to receive such a bad rep? Protect the entire loaf from a staleness? Indeed! I eat it with passion and vigor! Num num!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
That's the best part of the loaf of bread, especially when it's toasted it holds puddles of butter kind of like an English muffin holds puddles of butter. Holy crap if you have never had the end pieces of a loaf of bread you are missing out my friend.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join